Generic Gaming thread (formerly known as the PS4 Thread)

Iakona

3 hours ago, Iakona said:

My RX 480 arrived today... feels good having my gaming PC back!

GTA 5 close to maxed out 1080p + 60 fps is just glorious.. 

I still don't have a dedicated graphics card in my PC.  I've been running games off my 6700k since I built the PC turn of the year.  It's been fine for the most part and I've been able to play games but always reduced settings on the graphics intensive ones.  It's starting to annoy me at this point and I'll defo be getting a GPU soon.  I had hoped priced would've come down more due to the Pascal hype.  Maybe I'll get lucky and pick up something second hand.

10 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I still don't have a dedicated graphics card in my PC.  I've been running games off my 6700k since I built the PC turn of the year.  It's been fine for the most part and I've been able to play games but always reduced settings on the graphics intensive ones.  It's starting to annoy me at this point and I'll defo be getting a GPU soon.  I had hoped priced would've come down more due to the Pascal hype.  Maybe I'll get lucky and pick up something second hand.

I've just had to send my GPU back.. it's developed a weird rattling noise over night.

Pain in the ass as i had to wait a month for it to come into stock... now i could be waiting another couple of weeks.

6 hours ago, Iakona said:

I've just had to send my GPU back.. it's developed a weird rattling noise over night.

Pain in the ass as i had to wait a month for it to come into stock... now i could be waiting another couple of weeks.

When I came off here last night I was having a look on Gumtree.  Seen a GTX 980 for £200 which is good.  I don't like buying second hand because you never know what kind of stress the GPU has been under.  I've sent the guy a PM and might go and check it out if he gets back to me.

GPU.JPG

40 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

When I came off here last night I was having a look on Gumtree.  Seen a GTX 980 for £200 which is good.  I don't like buying second hand because you never know what kind of stress the GPU has been under.  I've sent the guy a PM and might go and check it out if he gets back to me.

GPU.JPG

Aye i'm not a fan of 2nd hand components. Sure you can get a good deal for a product that's a good as new, but i prefer the peace of mind of having a warranty and knowing that its never been used.

You can get a  brand new Gainward 980 for an extra £75 delivered on OCUK

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-980

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 7:13 PM, Iakona said:

Aye i'm not a fan of 2nd hand components. Sure you can get a good deal for a product that's a good as new, but i prefer the peace of mind of having a warranty and knowing that its never been used.

You can get a  brand new Gainward 980 for an extra £75 delivered on OCUK

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/graphics-cards/nvidia/geforce-gtx-980

I haven't been looking at PC hardware since I finished my build back in January.  I've been researching GPUs in more detail and was pretty surprised.  I had no idea the 1060 had been released and it looks great.  I see you got the new AMD card with Direct 12 support and both cards seem about the same price.  I'm curious why you choose the RX 480 when most benchmarks heavily favour the 1060?  Was it future proofing or did you get a good deal?

Red Dead...

Boy I know on another site..

"At a stag do with my mate who works for Rockstar. 

Here's some inside info: You get to play as dual protagonists. This info the gaming media already has hold off, but it's an unconfirmed rumour, but I can confirm it. You get to play as a man called Arthur, who teaches a very young John Marsden the ways of the west. So it's a prequel. 

My mate says they are currently working on the trailer, which will be released soon. He says it looks fantastic, and they hope to release the game next year. So there you go, it's coming."

35 minutes ago, lidorfc said:

Anyone think the Playstation VR will be worth buying?  I really like the idea of VR but I don't think there's enough good content to justify buying one atm.

Aye it'll be worth, mate.  you'll be just like that cunt fae Lawnmower Man.

On 8/19/2016 at 1:59 AM, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I haven't been looking at PC hardware since I finished my build back in January.  I've been researching GPUs in more detail and was pretty surprised.  I had no idea the 1060 had been released and it looks great.  I see you got the new AMD card with Direct 12 support and both cards seem about the same price.  I'm curious why you choose the RX 480 when most benchmarks heavily favour the 1060?  Was it future proofing or did you get a good deal?

The GTX 1060 tends to be around 10-15% better than the RX 480 in DX11 titles. However in real world terms that's not all that significant and you're not really going to see the benefit at 1080p and 60fps. The GTX might allow you to have shadows on at very high opposed to high on the 480 for example. Also something worth noting is that historically AMD cards tend to see bigger improvements over time due to them improving optimization and drivers. NVIDIA cards still see gains, but typically not nearly to the same level as AMD cards.. Nvidia also have a tendency to stop fully supporting their older cards a lot quicker than AMD do, which mean you'll lose performance down the line with newer games.

The talk of the RX 480 being "future proof" is mainly it's support for DX12 and Vulkan.. but even then that's not a clean sweep as some titles still run better with nvidia cards, there's just bigger performance gains on the AMD cards. There's also the fact Vulkan and DX12 are still for the most part unsupported and are unlikely to become standard for atleast another 2-3 years.. at which point most people would be looking to upgrade from both of these cards, so many will argue it's a pointless argument to begin with.

One upside to RX480 is that you can run it in crossfire(adding a second RX480 to your build)... It doesn't double performance but for games that support it, it's currently taking you up to gtx 1070 levels. Definitely not a cost effective option right now as you would just be better buying a 1070 and keeping the change.. however down the line when the RX 480 drops in price and you want to squeeze out some extra juice it's a nice option to have!. Nvidia on the other hand have dropped support for SLI on midrange cards, so that's not possible with the 1060!

The 8gb rx 480 is around the same price as the gtx 1060.. however the 4gb model(which is plenty for 1080p) can be found for around £200, which is in terms of price vs performance is a huge winner. I went with the Sapphire rx480 overclocked card because i pre-ordered it before the 1060 was even released... I did consider swapping but i'm happy with the 480(plus I got in there before the price increase!)

If you're looking to keep the card for 1-2 years.. go with the 1060. If you plan on holding on to it for longer then the RX480 is probably the safer bet. Ultimately both of these cards are mid range and won't be future proof.

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 3:05 PM, Iakona said:

The GTX 1060 tends to be around 10-15% better than the RX 480 in DX11 titles. However in real world terms that's not all that significant and you're not really going to see the benefit at 1080p and 60fps. The GTX might allow you to have shadows on at very high opposed to high on the 480 for example. Also something worth noting is that historically AMD cards tend to see bigger improvements over time due to them improving optimization and drivers. NVIDIA cards still see gains, but typically not nearly to the same level as AMD cards.. Nvidia also have a tendency to stop fully supporting their older cards a lot quicker than AMD do, which mean you'll lose performance down the line with newer games.

The talk of the RX 480 being "future proof" is mainly it's support for DX12 and Vulkan.. but even then that's not a clean sweep as some titles still run better with nvidia cards, there's just bigger performance gains on the AMD cards. There's also the fact Vulkan and DX12 are still for the most part unsupported and are unlikely to become standard for atleast another 2-3 years.. at which point most people would be looking to upgrade from both of these cards, so many will argue it's a pointless argument to begin with.

One upside to RX480 is that you can run it in crossfire(adding a second RX480 to your build)... It doesn't double performance but for games that support it, it's currently taking you up to gtx 1070 levels. Definitely not a cost effective option right now as you would just be better buying a 1070 and keeping the change.. however down the line when the RX 480 drops in price and you want to squeeze out some extra juice it's a nice option to have!. Nvidia on the other hand have dropped support for SLI on midrange cards, so that's not possible with the 1060!

The 8gb rx 480 is around the same price as the gtx 1060.. however the 4gb model(which is plenty for 1080p) can be found for around £200, which is in terms of price vs performance is a huge winner. I went with the Sapphire rx480 overclocked card because i pre-ordered it before the 1060 was even released... I did consider swapping but i'm happy with the 480(plus I got in there before the price increase!)

If you're looking to keep the card for 1-2 years.. go with the 1060. If you plan on holding on to it for longer then the RX480 is probably the safer bet. Ultimately both of these cards are mid range and won't be future proof.

I've seen a GTX 1060 for £225.  It's white and fits in with the rest of my build.  Doesn't come back in to stock for a while but I'll probably wait for this one.

22.JPG

8 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I've seen a GTX 1060 for £225.  It's white and fits in with the rest of my build.  Doesn't come back in to stock for a while but I'll probably wait for this one.

22.JPG

Don't go for the 3gb version.. That's scraping the barrell! Whilst it's still more than enough for most games, more and more are now pushing that at 1080p, particularly new releases! I'd be aiming for a minimum of 4gb thesedays.. 

Go for the 6gb model, you can get an EVGA Superclock 1060 6gb for 245 delivered on Ebuyer.

I've had to send my 2nd RX 480 back.. fans keep cutting out at full load! Given up and just asked for a refund this time.. will be getting the aforementioned 1060 instead!

On 8/23/2016 at 1:28 PM, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

22.JPG

My EVGA 1060 6gb Superclock arrived today, runs like a dream!

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 8:10 PM, Iakona said:

My EVGA 1060 6gb Superclock arrived today, runs like a dream!

I made a decision and bought this one tonight.  Black and white 1060 with 6GB or RAM.  I hope it was £240 well spent.

Capture.JPG

17 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I made a decision and bought this one tonight.  Black and white 1060 with 6GB or RAM.  I hope it was £240 well spent.

Capture.JPG

Glad you decided against the 3gb card! Those are just a blatant cash grab..

You made a good choice with that card. The factory overclock is slightly lower than the EVGA but you will be able to remedy that in afterburner. Got my little EVGA SC clocked to run stable at 2100mhz. Any higher i start to get display driver crashes! 

26 minutes ago, Iakona said:

Glad you decided against the 3gb card! Those are just a blatant cash grab..

You made a good choice with that card. The factory overclock is slightly lower than the EVGA but you will be able to remedy that in afterburner. Got my little EVGA SC clocked to run stable at 2100mhz. Any higher i start to get display driver crashes! 

The card I've bought has no backplate and only one heatsink.  From what I've read on youtube overheating isn't really an issue for these cards so I'm not that bothered.  The more expensive ones have three fans and LEDs but performance is basically the same.

It seems like these 1060 can run most games at 1080p, maxed settings, at 60FPS or better.  They can run most games at 4k at 30FPS.  Very good cards for the price (tu)

36 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

The card I've bought has no backplate and only one heatsink.  From what I've read on youtube overheating isn't really an issue for these cards so I'm not that bothered.  The more expensive ones have three fans and LEDs but performance is basically the same.

It seems like these 1060 can run most games at 1080p, maxed settings, at 60FPS or better.  They can run most games at 4k at 30FPS.  Very good cards for the price (tu)

These cards don't get anywhere near hot enough to need backplates, multiple heatsinks or fans. The EVGA only has one fan and after overclocking it's still running under 60 degrees at a little over half its maximum fan speed.

Admittedly i've not done much in the way of testing, but it's close to running the Witcher 3 at max at 1080/60. Had to drop afew heavy settings and hairworks, but for £235 you can't argue!

However the RX 480 actually performed a little better across the board in the Witcher as it maintained a more consistent 60 fps. The 1060 could push further than RX 480 but it also has bigger drops in certain fps sinks. Nothing that really harms the experience though!