Minutes applause for Mandela

Brick54

Well the good news is that, regardless of the violence and terrorism, the actions of these people certainly resulted in a South Africa that is a far better place to live these days, i mean it's virtually crime free and mindless violence is a thing of the past, and all blacks who were previously disadvantaged now have so many opportunities. It is most certainly not the case that it's only the politicians with questionable backgrounds who are thriving, right?

I would say South Africa is a far better place to live for the black community, don't you agree? cattled used to get treated better than black people.

as for the rest, you'd have a good point if i was trying to suggest it has turned into some leading nations everyone should inspire to.

But i wasn't

Whether you like it or not, the whole world is united in its public praise of Mandela.

If there is one single flicker of disrespect shown in Ibrox tomorrow (which is inevitable), we will get battered from pillar to post over it, and this time it won't just be Scotland, because the whole world will see it as disrespectful. So if we don't want to become public enemy number one tomorrow, then we need to use a bit of Realpolitik.

I advocate that irrespective of your personal feelings or opinions, you should just bite your tongue, and comply with the general consensus.

You may want to argue that that is the coward's way out, and you have to stand up for your principles.

I'd counter that with "stop being a pompous arse and don't f*****g harm my club tomorrow."

If someone comes to Ibrox who totally opposes all our principles, we still expect them to respect and observe our traditions, so we should do the same tomorrow.

Thanks for listening.

Why exactly should people participate in something they don't believe in purely because it is of popular opinion?

Did I miss something, why would any right thinking individual hate Mandela?

His party campaigned within the law until it was banned, when 69 people were gunned down? If tyranny and injustice ever befalls this land, I hope to fuck some on this thread have more balls than they are showing now.

I can just imagine an independent Scotland voting to oust the Queen, criminalising the right to wave the Union flag and disbanding Rangers as a subvertive force within a free Scotland. And all the Bears on here slating Mandela will bow down and agree because that is the rule of the land.

His party campaigned within the law until it was banned, when 69 people were gunned down? If tyranny and injustice ever befalls this land, I hope to fuck some on this thread have more balls than they are showing now.

I can just imagine an independent Scotland voting to oust the Queen, criminalising the right to wave the Union flag and disbanding Rangers as a subvertive force within a free Scotland. And all the Bears on here slating Mandela will bow down and agree because that is the rule of the land.

"my position is that you don't hand over your weapons until you get what you want... "

Fuck him. I couldn't give a flying fuck what he done in his own country, it's the company he's kept in my country that makes my opinion of him.

Whether you like it or not, the whole world is united in its public praise of Mandela.

Incorrect

I for one haven't been giving mandela any praise public or otherwise

personally I dont think Mandela should be given a minutes applause at a football game; not that I like or dislike the guy, I just don't think this sort of stuff should be forced upon people at football games

go have a wee clap in the privacy of your own wardrobe if its that important to you but leave it out of football

Yes.

You missed quite a lot.

Like the history of the ANC in South Africa and beyond, and who Mr Mandela was before he was jailed.

Incorrect

personally I dont think Mandela should be given a minutes applause at a football game; not that I like or dislike the guy, I just don't think this sort of stuff should be forced upon people at football games

go have a wee clap in the privacy of your own wardrobe if its that important to you but leave it out of football

Mate, the whole world is observing some form of respect for him. A similar line is used by the filth not to observe Armistice Day.

I fully accept people's right not to take part and would defend them for it, I just hope noone is going to disrupt it with booing or jeering or banners or some other fucking moronic display in front of the world.

I fully accept people's right not to take part and would defend them for it, I just hope noone is going to disrupt it with booing or jeering or banners or some other fucking moronic display in front of the world.

I hope not too

If you don't want to partake then that's fine but don't be an egg about it either: it's just not worth the grief it will bring to the club

Yes.

You missed quite a lot.

Like the history of the ANC in South Africa and beyond, and who Mr Mandela was before he was jailed.

A Lawyer? Anyway. Some people obviously believe that regardless of the level of injustice, we should always accept the authority of those in power.

Why do people get so upset over the SFA and SPL then?

Mate, it's ridiculous:

Mandela fought against his state power. Irrespective of how despicable that state was, he had no right to object to or resist the torture, murder and abuse of the majority (and rightful) inhabitants, through the only means available (protest, opposition and voting were all banned)

Therefore he's a terrorist

Therefore he's the same as the IRA

We hate the Ira ergo we hate Mandela.

Simple

Here are some other terrorists we hate...

The Dalai Lama

Emmeline Pankhurst

Winston Churchill (go read your history folks)

George Washington

Che Guevara

Fidel Castro

Charles De Gaulle

Giuseppe Garibaldi

Kemal Ataturk

Oh and let's not forget Von Stauffenberg - what a bastard he was.

All I can say is thank god it's a clap, and not a silence.

Some of you may consider a compromise, by looking as if you're clapping, whilst chanting "F** Nelson Mand He's Deid" under your breath?

Incorrect

Not incorrect - you've maybe missed the implication of the bits I bolded.

Just like the whole country mourned Diana.

Not everybody did, but everybody put on a face of doing so.

Personally I agree with you, and don't want to go along with it, but the whole world will be doing it, and to not do it when we are so obviously going to be closely scrutinised, would be like standing on the stage at Live Aid and saying - "let the wee bastards die."

Our enemies have got both barrels well and truly pointed our way on this one, and the phrase that comes to mind is "don't give them the ammunition"