Minutes applause for Mandela

Brick54

In Later life he took great steps in ending apartheid and was instrumental in the raising of awareness of HIV/AIDS and helping those in great need, but was complicit in the murder of hundreds with the ANC. He was thrust forward as a figurehead at his behest, but the fact the mainstream media are so quick to gloss over his past leads to the general public leaping on the bandwagon that he is some sort of saint, when he is far from it, which pisses me off. I just believe a bit of parity in the reporting of facts would be nice. Overall, I think he has done just about enough to be square with the house in his death. Some interesting facts about him in the link below:

http://thebackbencher.co.uk/3-things-you-didnt-want-to-know-about-nelson-mandela/

Of course we'll agree to it, its bonkers to believe anything else, Rangers are a business, its potential financial suicide to go against the grain on this, the hit it could have on sponsorship in the short term and long term is too much of a risk.

Nelson Mandela is one of the most iconic names in history, the club putting themselves in a horrid position to appease a vocal minority is just too implausible to comprehend

In Later life he took great steps in ending apartheid and was instrumental in the raising of awareness of HIV/AIDS and helping those in great need, but was complicit in the murder of hundreds with the ANC. He was thrust forward as a figurehead at his behest, but the fact the mainstream media are so quick to gloss over his past leads to the general public leaping on the bandwagon that he is some sort of saint, when he is far from it, which pisses me off. I just believe a bit of parity in the reporting of facts would be nice. Overall, I think he has done just about enough to be square with the house in his death. Some interesting facts about him in the link below:

http://thebackbenche...nelson-mandela/

I couldnt care less whether we do this or not. The reality is that Mandela was one of the men of the last century, he led the South African nation to genuine democracy. Yes, he used the gun to fight for this early in his life, but lets not forget such a violent approach was just following on from the brutality of colonial Britain and its treatment of Afrikans families during and after the Boer War. Mandela is to be rightly recognised as one of the true greats of our modern time.

I couldnt care less whether we do this or not. The reality is that Mandela was one of the men of the last century, he led the South African nation to genuine democracy. Yes, he used the gun to fight for this early in his life, but lets not forget such a violent approach was just following on from the brutality of colonial Britain and its treatment of Afrikans families during and after the Boer War. Mandela is to be rightly recognised as one of the true greats of our modern time.

So by adopting the tactics of his oppressors is he not as bad as them?

He was taking his lead from them, but that was around 50 years ago and to ignore what he has done since walking free from Robin Island is just plain daft. Too many small minded folk on here.

Small minded? Actually agreed

You for one

:shifty: last time I heard this phrase was from a rheeker at work

Small minded? Actually agreed

You for one

Really, take a look at the news, take a look at the tributes from all walks of life and all parts of the world, yet some people on here call him a terrorist and a racist and i am small minded, you couldnt make it up. But i think you just did. Take a look at yourself.