European Commission seek explanation on Celtic land deals

According to pzj the scottish govt didn't pay for the work done outside the scums ground they told him to ask gcc so he's putting in another FOi to gcc to ask if they paid for it..

Be very surprised if if gcc can find any written documents saying that they paid for work for scumtic mate

Did they appoint their sporting litigation expert before or after PZJ approached the EC regarding illegal state aid?

Was he a member of the c****c/GCC representation who met with the EC?

Does anybody know of any other club with a sporting litigation expert on their staff?

Did they appoint their sporting litigation expert before or after PZJ approached the EC regarding illegal state aid?

Was he a member of the c****c/GCC representation who met with the EC?

Does anybody know of any other club with a sporting litigation expert on their staff?

1) Before

2) dunno

3) No

We, as a council, have a duty to make sure public funds are properly used and protected, for everyone's benefit. We are committed to preventing people committing fraud and becoming involved in corruption and bribery. We are also committed to making sure we have the right controls in place to prevent these acts from happening at all. Given the potentially high cost of fraud to you, we would encourage you to let us know if you detect or suspect someone is involved in this activity.

The Glasgow City Council Whistleblowing facility is a method for both Glasgow City Council employees and members of the public to report any apparent fraud or irregularity which they believe is going on. Wherever possible, the anonymity of whistleblowers will be respected and protected. For further information on the purpose of the facility and how allegations will be dealt with please refer to the Glasgow City Council

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5453

Hahahaha brilliant tweet by james provan

STV News@STVNews 8h

Do you know anyone who doesn't use the internet? Get in touch. A new facility has opened to help them. http://fb.me/37576tcFj Details

U0tsWdbf_bigger.jpegJames Provan@JP_1872

@STVNews Great news, 57% more of Glasgow Citizens will now find that the GCC has been funding a football team at their expense..

Saw this earlier and I should probably be thinking "Oh isn't that great money is going to be spent improving the city I live in" but my actual first thought was "I wonder how much of it is going to end up spent on them & what will be the next new facility to appear near Parkhead"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28129190

Looking at the recent EC cases and if the scum are found guilty then payments and interest would need to be paid back to the council or the other organisations such as the NHS.

Heads would certainly roll in the council if this was proven with others paid off before they could be implicated. On the plus side any monies brought in would help pay for the CG.

Not sure what could happen with the co-op deals but I think that's deal they may get away with.

Looking at the recent EC cases and if the scum are found guilty then payments and interest would need to be paid back to the council or the other organisations such as the NHS.

Heads would certainly roll in the council if this was proven with others paid off before they could be implicated. On the plus side any monies brought in would help pay for the CG.

Not sure what could happen with the co-op deals but I think that's deal they may get away with.

Although the cheap loans were signed up at 1.5% the bank retain the right to increase the interest rate and if they did the repayments could be potentially crippling.

Anyone with a mortgage will realise that even a half percentage increase can seriously increase the repayments. Should the bank decide to do this is another thing altogether. The main thing is the corrupt alliance between GCC and these C***s and due to the work done by PZJ and the others it looks a stick on that they will be found wanting. I'm aware that some on RM are of the mind that they will wriggle out of this but such is the overwhelming evidence that they can't sweep this any more.When it comes and it will I expect the SFA and SPFL to hammer the b******s and treat them in the appropiate manner by booting them out of the league altogether.

ayesteady - "I'm aware that some on RM are of the mind that they will wriggle out of this but such is the overwhelming evidence that they can't sweep this any more.When it comes and it will I expect the SFA and SPFL to hammer the b******s and treat them in the appropiate manner by booting them out of the league altogether."

I have no doubt that most of us have wondered what punishments could be passed on them if this goes the way we would hope. In many ways I believe they may have hung themselves with the statements made by their former manager and players regarding the striping of titles and trophies. I have no doubt at the rules may have been re-written by a certain low level paper gatherer to try and protect them, however I believe that any such changes could be ruled as mute due to his involvement with them over the years.

In our case there was only going to be one team that was going to benefit had title stripping taken place, the problem they have is that many of the clubs they used to get us out of the SPL would benefit form the fact there would be three league titles up for grabs that they won while we were in the lower leagues, and with them a considerable amount of prize money. If things do work out as we would hope it will be interesting to see how many clubs will turn on them in the hope of getting a piece of the financial pie that could be up for garbs.

My monies on George Redmond:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/celtic-kick-off-east-end-revival-with-football-academy-plan-club-to-buy-18-acre-site-for-training-ground-1.51189

TEXT SIZE

INSHARE

Celtic kick off east end revival with football academy plan Club to buy 18-acre site for training ground

STEPHEN STEWART

Thursday 16 June 2005

CELTIC Football Club would lead the regeneration of one of Scotland's poorest areas under plans to develop an 18-acre swath of land in the socially deprived east end of Glasgow.

The club is considering buying and leasing an area of derelict council-owned ground around their stadium in London Road to develop a new football academy.

Celtic's proposals, unveiled yesterday, mark yet another milestone for the impoverished area which is soon expected to undergo a complete rebirth with a planned national indoor sports arena and the east end regeneration route, a wide road linking the M74 extension with the M8, cutting through a section of the east end.

A new Glasgow City Council report outlined the full extent of the plans and authorised officials to begin final talks on the sale of land at Westthorn recreation ground and various sites in the area.

Officials have also laid out the terms of the possible sale of the former London Road Primary School to Celtic and the lease for a car and coach park to be used by the football stadium as well as the forthcoming national indoor sports arena.

Steve Inch, director of the council's development and regeneration services, said Celtic had a key role to play in the overall renewal of the area.

Hesaid: "The paths of the council and Celtic are inextricably entwined if a success is to be made of the regeneration of the east end.

"Both parties will have a number of common issues to resolve particularly in the provisions of utilities (gas, water pipelines), removal of electricity pylons, and reaching agreement at an early stage will help resolve a number of the issues."

Previous speculation had linked Celtic to new training facilities at Lennoxtown, north of Glasgow, but the report indicated the club's preferred option was the area near its current Barrowfield training base.

A Celtic spokeswoman last night said that positive discussions had taken place with the council over a number of years.

She said: "These discussions have been given new impetus following the proposed infrastructure changes for the area.

"Celtic takes its role in the regeneration of the east end very seriously.

"We are working with the council and organisations such as West of Scotland Housing Association to ensure an integrated approach to the long term strategic planning for the area."

The area around Celtic Park forms part of the Clyde Gateway project which is seen as a major f lagship development for the east end.

George Redmond, councillor for the Bridgeton/Dalmarnock ward, was recently appointed to drive forward the 20-year master plan, which aims to bring 21,000 jobs and 10,000 new homes to the area by 2025.

Mr Redmond will head a steering group that will work to attract more than pounds-1.6bn of private investment into the east end.

He said: "Celtic are a key part of the regeneration work in the east end.

"The council have been in discussion with them for some time and this is the culmination of that.

"The potential in the east end is enormous.

"In 15 to 20 years' time, we hope the east end will be a vibrant part of the city and people living there will have the same quality of life that they do in other parts of Glasgow and Scotland."

PROPOSAL - Map shoing the proposed training area that Celtic FC want to buy - not available on database - see hardcopy or PDF

inShare

Commenting & Moderation

We moderate all comments on HeraldScotland on either a pre-moderated or post-moderated basis.

If you're a relatively new user then your comments will be reviewed before publication and if we know you well and trust you then your comments will be subject to moderation only if other users or the moderators believe you've broken the rules

READ THE NEW RULES HERE

Moderation is undertaken full-time 9am-6pm on weekdays, and on a part-time basis outwith those hours. Please be patient if your posts are not approved instantly.

Are there any figures for the Commonwealths in terms of how much GCC has given to sellic in whatever way (sellic way, rent of stadium or whatever) and how much has been given to Rangers? I'm assuming it will be alot more for them, but do we know actual figures?

Are there any figures for the Commonwealths in terms of how much GCC has given to sellic in whatever way (sellic way, rent of stadium or whatever) and how much has been given to Rangers? I'm assuming it will be alot more for them, but do we know actual figures?

If it is any guide. GCC Education department used both Club's stadium based conferencing facilities for training , meetings etc....the last 2 years and it was a ratio of 49 to 1 ie. 98 % to them. I would think the trend would be similar for CG as nothing suggests otherwise from the historical pattern.

Name them and shame them.

john stevens @pzj_1 · Jul 6

john mckenzie and james coleman both CFC supporters, and very possible season ticket holders sat in on the jan 07 land deals involving CFC

ohn stevens @pzj_1 · Jul 6

Councillor John McKenzie (Labour, Ward 1, Linn) is Chairman of the Pat Anderson Glenacre scum Supporters Club.

If it is any guide. GCC Education department used both Club's stadium based conferencing facilities for training , meetings etc....the last 2 years and it was a ratio of 49 to 1 ie. 98 % to them. I would think the trend would be similar for CG as nothing suggests otherwise from the historical pattern.

Someone that knows what they are doing, if they can be bothered, should submit a freedom information request for this.

john stevens @pzj_1 · Jul 6

john mckenzie and james coleman both CFC supporters, and very possible season ticket holders sat in on the jan 07 land deals involving CFC

ohn stevens @pzj_1 · Jul 6

Councillor John McKenzie (Labour, Ward 1, Linn) is Chairman of the Pat Anderson Glenacre scum Supporters Club.

So Coleman and one of his cable have previous regarding misusing public funds:

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-politics/6573-labour-councillors-unfit-to-represent-glasgow-after-misconduct-ruling

Labour councillors 'unfit to represent Glasgow' after misconduct ruling

WEDNESDAY, 16 JANUARY 2013 06:09 8 COMMENTS

By a Newsnet reporter

Two Glasgow Labour councillors have been accused of being unfit to represent the city after sanctioning a half million pound payout to a regeneration agency boss that was later ruled as 'misconduct'.

The ruling by the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) followed a year long investigation into the decision to award a 'golden goodbye' of £500,000 to former Chief Executive of Glasgow East Regeneration Agency, Ronnie Saez.

The OSCR concluded that the actions of the board members - three of whom were Labour councillors - were “wholly unsatisfactory”.

The regulator's report said: "We consider the actions of the charity trustees in this instance constituted misconduct in the administration of the charity.

"However, the payment has already been made and the charity is in the final stages of being dissolved. We find this position wholly unacceptable but, unfortunately, have no powers to recoup the funds for use in the charitable sector."

Ronnie Saez landed a package worth around six times his salary after being made redundant from his post as chief executive of Glasgow East Regeneration Agency (GERA). His golden goodbye comprised a "severance payment" of £42,000 and a £470,000 boost to his pension, which included a discretionary £208,000.

The pension top-up was paid for using reserves intended for the redevelopment of a school in Dalmarnock, a deprivation blackspot.

On leaving GERA, Saez set himself up as a consultant, and according the the Herald, briefly went into business with former Labour MSP Frank McAveety – according to the firm’s website one of its clients was Glasgow City Council. Mr McAveety left the partnership and is now a Glasgow Labour Councillor.

Saez was not a council employee during his time at the charity, but had previously worked at the council. He asked for his tenure at GERA to be treated as a council employee for the almost seven years, which cost GERA an extra £208,000 towards his pension.

Two of the Labour Councillors criticised in the ruling are current serving board members on Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT). SNP MSP John Mason, who lodged the complaint, has said that both are unfit to represent Glasgow City Council on any such boards.

The MSP has now called for Councillor Jim Coleman and Councillor George Redmond to be removed from any charities, boards or bodies on which they represent the Council.

Quizzed last year, Jim Coleman said the deal was "routine" and added, "We must have felt he deserved it,".

Commenting, Mr Mason, said:

“This report is a damning indictment of the Labour Councillors who have blatantly misused public money in one of the most unacceptable ways possible.

“The sad reality is that GERA’s first and foremost aim on its mission statement was to ‘relieve and prevent poverty’ for people living in the East End – not well-off chief executives.

“Even if part of the payment was a binding obligation, OSCR is clear that £232,708 was not a requirement.

“That money should have been helping poorer people, not richer people. If proof was ever needed that Labour has lost touch with reality, then this, frankly, is it.

“OSCR states that ‘charity trustees as a body are collectively or corporately responsible’, the trustees ‘breached their section 66 duties’, and ‘this is considered misconduct in the administration of the charity.’

“Therefore, surely Glasgow City Council must act immediately to remove Councillor Jim Coleman and Councillor George Redmond from any charities, boards or bodies on which they represent the Council.

“This report makes quite clear that they have misused public money and this cannot be allowed to happen again.

“Perhaps Johann Lamont could reclaim some much needed credibility by publicly distancing herself from these two Labour councillors in Glasgow who have squandered taxpayers’ money.”

Looks like Mr Coleman has been at it again

A TOP councillor gave a company a s1million contract without mentioning that he was one of their directors.

And Glasgow City Council deputy leader Jim Coleman now faces an investigation by watchdogs.

Coleman sits on the board of the Wise Group, who run training projects for the jobless.

But he didn't declare an interest to his colleagues on the council's executive committee before they gave Wise s1million of taxpayers' cash to take over a community service scheme for fine defaulters.

Coleman says he didn't mention the directorship because Wise don't pay him and he was appointed to their board by the council.

But Glasgow's SNP opposition are demanding "firm and decisive action" over the row.

The Nats' deputy leader on the council, Billy McAllister, said: "Councillor Coleman appears to be in breach of the councillors' code of conduct.

"This should be investigated as a matter of urgency."

McAllister vowed to report Coleman to the Standards Commission, the body who probe claims of wrongdoing by councillors.

Coleman, 62, was acting chairman of the executive committee when the Wise Group deal was nodded through on January 23.

Rival firm Apex Scotland, who had been running the training scheme, are set to make 15 staff redundant after their bid to keep the contract failed.

The Standards Commission say unpaid interests should be declared when a reasonable member of the public would consider that they could "unduly influence the councillor".

The watchdogs also say appointments to non-council bodies should be declared "unless the interest would be regarded as irrelevant or insignificant".

But Coleman, who represents Baillieston in the city's east end, said he was "quite comfortable" that he had acted properly over the contract. He told the Record: "I'm appointed to Wise by the council. I don't get any pay or anything.

"If I had got paid, I think it would have been wise to declare an interest. But it was my judgment that I did not need to."

Coleman insisted he did not influence the decision to give the contract to Wise.

"There was no discussion", he said. "The committee just put it through."

Coleman has been on the council since 1988 and is known for his fight to have lap-dancing clubs licensed as sex shops. He says the clubs exploit women and harm Glasgow's reputation.

He sits on several other outside bodies, including Glasgow Community Planning Ltd, Glasgow East Regeneration Agency and the city's NHS Board.

A council spokesman said it was up to members to decide whether to declare interests. He added: "It should be remembered that Councillor Coleman has a non-financial interest and was appointed to the position by the Council."

The Wise Group added: "Councillor Coleman does not receive any remuneration or expenses in his role as a director."

Funny enough a person that I'm acquainted with who works in one of the Job Centres mentioned that the Wise Group were not in a very good situation awhile back.

If accurate it certainly looks like the pair of jokers listed by PJZ have an interesting history to say the least.

I had a placement in the offices with the wise group in Charlotte St when the Commonwealth games were awarded to Glasgow.

A large group of the management (mostly bheasts, i knew as i had a daily 'patter' war with most middle management about us and them) all went to some do (in the Kelvin Hall if I remember correctly) to see the announcement of who would get it.

They came back pished and full of the joys of spring when Glasgow were awarded the games. A month or so later we were informed that threre would be a massive downgrading of the wise group so funds could be redirected to cover the costs of the games coming.

Some bint told me at the time it was due to European Union funds being swallowed up by new members from the east but I never bought that, not after seeing them roll in pished and joyfull.

Strange reading these quotes about the funding from dodgy Labour councilors regarding the wise group. I knew at the time it was a closed club kinda thing. I was only there on a 6 month contract so never really gave a f"c* but reading what has been posted makes me think how dodgy it all sounds.

Sure one of the top dogs got a knighthood then the capacity of the place was reduced massively