European Commission seek explanation on Celtic land deals

Let's not forget that this has been going on for 20-plus years now. During the Fergus McCann years, when they needed to build The PotatoDome, there was a huge problem; it just wasn’t possible due to lack of space. Glasgow City Council sprang into action to help their works team – they sold THREE WHOLE STREETS (Kinloch Street, Janefield Street, and Dalriada Street) to Yahoo FC for a penny. Yes, ONE PENCE. The houses that were preventing them from expanding Savile Row were duly demolished.

The vote to get the taxpayers to foot the bill rather than Nonce FC was passed by a majority consisting of Celtic season ticket owners and shareholders at Glasgow City Council. The Chairman of the committee asked if anyone would like to disqualify his or herself on the grounds of a conflict of interest. Unsurprisingly, none did, even though as I say the vast majority were Celtic season ticket and shareholders.

Only Private Eye and one SNP councillor questioned whether the Councillors should have declared their interests. Thirteen members on that Planning Committee , eleven Labour, one SNP, and one Tory. The SNP member was disgusted with the dealings of his own committee and he informed the Herald that ,"of the eleven Labour councillors on the committee , they are all either season ticket holders or shareholders at Celtic Park. Eight of them are both".

He further noted that ,"if these eleven councillors were shareholders in ICI and they voted for lax planning consent on a petro-chemical plant there would be a criminal investigation". The Scottish media have yet to even mention this.

I hope this is mentioned on the reports too

Always wondered why the houses around the old piggery were just demolished

I'd advise any Bear making a big deal about this and who have a decent sized following be very careful, I read a bit there and it looks like they've got all their bases covered so just be careful, don't want any Bears being targeted for slander

I would be shaking in my boots if I had a decent sized following. In fact I would be so scared I wouldn't talk about it all

I hope this is mentioned on the reports too

Always wondered why the houses around the old piggery were just demolished

Absolutely. This is just as big an issue. I hope D'Art is passing this shit on too. I'm sure he is.

Let's not forget that this has been going on for 20-plus years now. During the Fergus McCann years, when they needed to build The PotatoDome, there was a huge problem; it just wasn’t possible due to lack of space. Glasgow City Council sprang into action to help their works team – they sold THREE WHOLE STREETS (Kinloch Street, Janefield Street, and Dalriada Street) to Yahoo FC for a penny. Yes, ONE PENCE. The houses that were preventing them from expanding Savile Row were duly demolished.

The vote to get the taxpayers to foot the bill rather than Nonce FC was passed by a majority consisting of Celtic season ticket owners and shareholders at Glasgow City Council. The Chairman of the committee asked if anyone would like to disqualify his or herself on the grounds of a conflict of interest. Unsurprisingly, none did, even though as I say the vast majority were Celtic season ticket and shareholders.

Only Private Eye and one SNP councillor questioned whether the Councillors should have declared their interests. Thirteen members on that Planning Committee , eleven Labour, one SNP, and one Tory. The SNP member was disgusted with the dealings of his own committee and he informed the Herald that ,"of the eleven Labour councillors on the committee , they are all either season ticket holders or shareholders at Celtic Park. Eight of them are both".

He further noted that ,"if these eleven councillors were shareholders in ICI and they voted for lax planning consent on a petro-chemical plant there would be a criminal investigation". The Scottish media have yet to even mention this.

I had no idea..... Well psosted sir

Well you wouldn't expect them to admit it, somehow they will make themselves appear victims.

They are as much victims as Rangers were on the EBT case. Changes in the rules re: state aid and sport.

The difference being Septic got a heads up on the EBT issue from their chairman and stopped using them, the state Aid issue is from Europe so no heads up.

"Reporting it" might be a bit of an exaggeration!!

Managed to filter out any calls about it so far on Radio Timmy - still managed to squeeze in a "Rangers facing admin again" pish though :)

They are now...

EC looking into Celtic land deals

The European Commission is looking into claims that Celtic Football Club broke EU rules in land deals involving Glasgow City Council.

Officials in Brussels said they had asked for detailed information after receiving a number of complaints.

In a statement, the council confirmed one of the complaints focussed on land deals around Celtic Park in the east end of the city.

The Commission said it had not yet opened a formal investigation.

The information is being analysed, it said, so no conclusions can be drawn.

Last year, the council agreed to sell land valued at more than £750,000 to Celtic.

Continue reading the main story

Celtic FC statement

A statement released by Celtic said the club "operates to the highest standards and with the utmost integrity".

It added: "At a time when the club is committed to investing in and improving areas around Celtic Park, not only for Celtic supporters but for the benefit of the local community, it is sad that these baseless accusations have been raised with the European Commission.

"Any suggestion that Celtic has been the beneficiary of state aid is preposterous - as ludicrous as any suggestion that we have benefited from soft loans from our bankers. The historic transactions referred to were negotiated with the council on commercial terms at market rates.

"The club will assist the Commission fully with the process and will not be deterred from our work to improve our local area."

A spokesman for the city council said: "A complaint was made to the European Commission on historic land deals around Celtic Park.

"The Commission is legally obliged to investigate all such allegations, and the council was happy to provide information on these transactions."

Health board

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, which sold part of its Lennox Castle site at Lennoxtown to Celtic for a training ground, said it has had no requests for information about any land deal it has been involved in.

A spokesman for the Scottish government said: "We are aware of these allegations and we are working with the relevant parties to help the Commission to investigate this case consistent with our role to ensure public funds in Scotland are used in compliance with EU state aid regulations.

"The transaction between the health board and Celtic is not being investigated by the European Commission but we are also aware of it and are discussing it with the relevant parties."

The European Commission is also looking at whether claims of deals between the Spanish government and some of the country's football clubs, including Real Madrid and Barcelona, constitute "state aid".

They are as much victims as Rangers were on the EBT case. Changes in the rules re: state aid and sport.

The difference being Septic got a heads up on the EBT issue from their chairman and stopped using them, the state Aid issue is from Europe so no heads up.

and I believe they can go back 10 years

but this is bigger than us and them

this is corruption in local politics and involves a major bank linked to the local politicians involved

I'd advise any Bear making a big deal about this and who have a decent sized following be very careful, I read a bit there and it looks like they've got all their bases covered so just be careful, don't want any Bears being targeted for slander

Unless your a lawyer or an expert on land deals/eu aid (which i suspect your not) Id shut up

They pontificated on every aspect of our tax case. Do you think they gave a shit about slander

Bears get complaining tweeting and emailing. Fuck what this walloper says.

and I believe they can go back 10 years

but this is bigger than us and them

this is corruption in local politics and involves a major bank linked to the local politicians involved

absolutely mate and I think 20 years is an underestimate as far as GCC & CFC go. Would be interesting if there was ever a full investigation in to some of the decisions that were made by GCC

Yeah, I notice they were willing to discuss the Rangers tax issues in depth before any verdict. What's changed that they don't do that any more???

absolutely mate and I think 20 years is an underestimate as far as GCC & CFC go. Would be interesting if there was ever a full investigation in to some of the decisions that were made by GCC

That mhob have had their supporters in Tammany Hall for a lot longer than 20 years.

If I remember, was there not an issue of the stand over hanging the cemetery? How was that resolved as I thought the air space around a cemetery was protected the same as the ground of the cemetery. Planning restrictions don't matter when it's GCC & Savile FC

I read this recently, think it was from a link posted on here. Was it not also the case that GCC also footed the bill for clearing the land? After everything we've had thrown at us in the last couple of years I really hope they're about to get their comeuppance.

Yeah, I notice they were willing to discuss the Rangers tax issues in depth before any verdict. What's changed that they don't do that any more???

They said something about not being experts on the legal side with the allegations. So they were tax experts prior to the EBTs?