Tennents Sixes

WadeWilson

Any Bears go to the Tennents Sixes when the were going...? They were usually held round about this time of year.

I LOVED the Sixes... They also had TV coverage (Scotsport with a young Jim White) back when people actually cared about football in their own country before the bloated Premiership defecated over everything in it's path.

Can you imagine the Scottish footballers of these days being asked to play in high-octane, boxed-in games where close control is king? Neither can I.

Anyway... memories are made of this... Any other Sixes footage or images of the Gers would be most welcome in this thread.

Cheers!

Sixes90.jpg

1991012101%20Tennents%20Sixes.jpg

1989 Sixes - full tournament highlights:

Some earlier footage from the first ever Sixes in 1984:

Rangers v Dundee in the final featuring Davie Cooper in the team (loved that away kit):

Sixes84.jpg

BRING BACK THE SIXES!!! :21: :21: :21: :21: :21: :21:

I was at the one in the coasters arena in Falkirk, was only in my teens but remember I got big John McClellands autograph on my program, brilliant competition, COOPER, PRYTZ, and Ian Ferguson were outstanding in this type thing, I am with the OP on this one, bring back the sixes :thumbup:

:7325:

Maybe footballers started taking themselves too seriously.

They certainly took themselves seriously at the 1989 one. Just checked it out on youtube to make sure I remembered it correctly.

Watch the semi against Celtic - tackles flying in, players squaring up and the squeakiest TBB ever. :D

Also, doubt anyone in Scottish football today has Cooper's skill as shown on the highlights.

They certainly took themselves seriously at the 1989 one. Just checked it out on youtube to make sure I remembered it correctly.

Watch the semi against Celtic - tackles flying in, players squaring up and the squeakiest TBB ever. :D

Also, doubt anyone in Scottish football today has Cooper's skill as shown on the highlights.

(tu) Not a chance, mate. I doubt we will see a left peg like that ever again in Scottish football.

Coasters hosted the first one,cannot remember of that, but do remember it as a night club.Sundays nights were special,a lot of players from various teams would come through....the memories......

Hahah. Thanks for the info, mate. (tu) So in 1984 it was a case of quick shower and upstairs to the lounge before hitting the dancefloor?

The only one I went to, Nottingham forest were invited to take the place of rangers, who pulled out. A young Stuart Pearce played and was easily the best player on show. I still quite like watching the 6 a side masters that are still on

Need to find out what year that was... I think I have a very tenuous memory of Forest being invited.

Cheers mate. (tu)