*****The Official Scottish Cup Semi Final Thread*****

Sunday showed his 4-5-1 with Daly leading the line simply doesn't work. So why would you even consider doing the same against United?

That is precisely what he will do though.

I simply cannot see anything other than 4-5-1 with the midfield being packed with defensive minded players like Black, Hutton and Peralta.

We have a chance as all teams do in the cup but he needs to try something different..and if he does go more expansive and we get beat having a go then fair enough. If however we get beat and have put in the same abject performance of Sunday then the fans should tell him exactly what they think of him as a manager.

Sunday showed his 4-5-1 with Daly leading the line simply doesn't work. So why would you even consider doing the same against United?

That is precisely what he will do though.

I simply cannot see anything other than 4-5-1 with the midfield being packed with defensive minded players like Black, Hutton and Peralta.

We have a chance as all teams do in the cup but he needs to try something different..and if he does go more expansive and we get beat having a go then fair enough. If however we get beat and have put in the same abject performance of Sunday then the fans should tell him exactly what they think of him as a manager.

I disagree that he'll persist with 4-5-1..

I fully expect the return of the 5-4-1..

I disagree that he'll persist with 4-5-1..

I fully expect the return of the 5-4-1..

Oops silly me...a distinct possibility.

It's a tactic i hated when Smith used it repeatedly in big games. It just continually sends out the message that you are inferior to the opposition. Yes there is a time and a place for such tactics but every big game it's used.

You keep telling the players they aren't good enough and they start believing it. To play 4-5-1 against Raith Rovers was the ultimate embarrassment and should have seen him hounded out the job win lose or draw.

Daly worked so well as a focal point at Dundee Utd because guys like Armstrong, Goodwillie, GMS & Russell got close to him and played off of him.

With us he's isolated on his own upfront with nobody within 10 yards of him and he has no pace to stretch any defences by playing the long balls into the channel either.

He's like playing with a man down, but it's not entirely his fault.

It's a tactic i hated when Smith used it repeatedly in big games. It just continually sends out the message that you are inferior to the opposition. Yes there is a time and a place for such tactics but every big game it's used.

You keep telling the players they aren't good enough and they start believing it. To play 4-5-1 against Raith Rovers was the ultimate embarrassment and should have seen him hounded out the job win lose or draw.

Should've been sacked yesterday..

Seems the board is as spineless as the team.

I think this is what has happened as we know what these players are capable of when in their natural position and at their best. I think they are being ground down by the rigidity of the formation and the negative message it sends. It would explain the reluctance to play the ball forward into space. If the strengths of the players were properly utilised there would be a sea change in performances.

Daly worked so well as a focal point at Dundee Utd because guys like Armstrong, Goodwillie, GMS & Russell got close to him and played off of him.

With us he's isolated on his own upfront with nobody within 10 yards of him and he has no pace to stretch any defences by playing the long balls into the channel either.

I think he's best when playing with his back to goal laying the ball on for players around him. Playing long balls up for him is a waste, he's actually not bad at laying the ball off when its played to his feet with players like Clark running on and past him. I don't understand how so many can see the need to change our style of play yet the manager is unable (or unwilling) to see the same. Is Ally tactically bereft or is he just too stubborn to change? Either way its become obvious he cannot take the club to anywhere near where we should be with our resources.

I think he's best when playing with his back to goal laying the ball on for players around him. Playing long balls up for him is a waste, he's actually not bad at laying the ball off when its played to his feet with players like Clark running on and past him. I don't understand how so many can see the need to change our style of play yet the manager is unable (or unwilling) to see the same. Is Ally tactically bereft or is he just too stubborn to change? Either way its become obvious he cannot take the club to anywhere near where we should be with our resources.

There is no pace at all in our midfield and forward line hence why we are easy to play against. All Raith had to do was cover the 2nd ball. Even if Daly won his headers they were in areas that weren't going to hurt them. As others have said it's fine playing a lone striker provided you have the players to compliment that tactic but we don't.

He has to come up with some fresh ideas for Saturday but given the amount of injuries we have it's looking more and more likely he will go with the same as Sunday but even more defensive minded.

I hope i am wrong because he could quite easily drop Daly and put Clark or Shiels in and push Law further up to support him.

Or god forbid he could play Shiels, Gallagher and Clark in a front three and take the game to United forcing them to rethink their tactics.

This! (tu)

Some of the better football we've played this season happened when Shiels, Templeton, Little or Clark have been playing up close to Daly.

On Sunday (and too often this season) no one was within 10/15 yards of him. I actually think this was meant to be Laws job - which he did for about 10 minutes at the start of each half then decided to hide.

We have to start with 2 up front on Saturday, but we wont.

The only chance we have is if we really turn up the noise level and intimidate them. 50,000 of us giving it to them non stop, none of them will have played in an environment like it.

We are poor on the park but lets really get at them from the moment they line up to come out the tunnel. Every time one of them goes near the ball give it laldy unsettle them, put them off their game. Lets use our best weapon - us. Remind them where they are, the home of the world's most successful team, the team they tried to kill but still stand tall and proud, the support who never backed down, who turned up when others would have strayed

We are Rangers and this is IBROX

The only chance we have is if we really turn up the noise level and intimidate them. 50,000 of us giving it to them non stop, none of them will have played in an environment like it.

We are poor on the park but lets really get at them from the moment they line up to come out the tunnel. Every time one of them goes near the ball give it laldy unsettle them, put them off their game. Lets use our best weapon - us. Remind them where they are, the home of the world's most successful team, the team they tried to kill but still stand tall and proud, the support who never backed down, who turned up when others would have strayed

We are Rangers and this is IBROX

Only problem is there won't be 50,000 of us. More likely you will have about 30,000 tops and they will have around 10,000 as well remember.

I hate to say it but i don't think there are many in our team who actually give a fuck like we would.

This! (tu)

Some of the better football we've played this season happened when Shiels, Templeton, Little or Clark have been playing up close to Daly.

On Sunday (and too often this season) no one was within 10/15 yards of him. I actually think this was meant to be Laws job - which he did for about 10 minutes at the start of each half then decided to hide.

We have to start with 2 up front on Saturday, but we wont.

I agree but the chances of our manager playing two up front are slim and none and 'slim' is out of town. FFS he played one up front against Raith fukking Rovers. Daly is actually good at knocking the ball down, sadly they only people near him are defenders.

There is no pace at all in our midfield and forward line hence why we are easy to play against. All Raith had to do was cover the 2nd ball. Even if Daly won his headers they were in areas that weren't going to hurt them. As others have said it's fine playing a lone striker provided you have the players to compliment that tactic but we don't.

He has to come up with some fresh ideas for Saturday but given the amount of injuries we have it's looking more and more likely he will go with the same as Sunday but even more defensive minded.

I hope i am wrong because he could quite easily drop Daly and put Clark or Shiels in and push Law further up to support him.

Or god forbid he could play Shiels, Gallagher and Clark in a front three and take the game to United forcing them to rethink their tactics.

I can't see him dropping Daly for Saturday and with the right tactics you could play a 4-2-3-1 formation and take the game to them. Daly as the 1 with 3 from Law, Gallagher, Clark and Shiels as the 3 and pick from Black, Hutton, Peralta or Faure as the 2.that would give them headaches with the 3 swapping positions and playing off of Daly. To do that we would need to play a higher line though.

The problem is Ally will play either 4-5-1 or 5-4-1 and isolate his striker (Daly) who will then get pilloried for not playing well in a position he is never going to be able to play.

Has to do something to surprise them and Shiels Gallagher and Clark playing in front of Black, Law and Hutton would do that.

I would drop Mohsni or McCulloch to the bench and stick Daly in the centre of the defence with Smith and Foster at fullback.

McCoist needs to be radical and send the team out with a positive line-up and attitude.

Has to do something to surprise them and Shiels Gallagher and Clark playing in front of Black, Law and Hutton would do that.

I would drop Mohsni or McCulloch to the bench and stick Daly in the centre of the defence with Smith and Foster at fullback.

McCoist needs to be radical and send the team out with a positive line-up and attitude.

He hasn't thrown a surprise or radical line up all season so i am not expecting one now.

He will play his long ball game come hell or high water.

If he does play it as i suspect he will then why not put McCulloch up beside Daly and put in Faure or Gasparotto beside Mohsni.

If he is going to play it then at least give United something to think about.......dreadful tactic i know but at least it's something they wouldn't expect.

Only problem is there won't be 50,000 of us. More likely you will have about 30,000 tops and they will have around 10,000 as well remember.

I hate to say it but i don't think there are many in our team who actually give a fuck like we would.

Your right but lets make the 30000 sound like 50k

He hasn't thrown a surprise or radical line up all season so i am not expecting one now.

He will play his long ball game come hell or high water.

If he does play it as i suspect he will then why not put McCulloch up beside Daly and put in Faure or Gasparotto beside Mohsni.

If he is going to play it then at least give United something to think about.......dreadful tactic i know but at least it's something they wouldn't expect.

Being entirely revolutionary why not put Mohsni up front with Clark and play Faure in his natural position, maybe with Daly rather than Jig? Mohsni has played up front before (and as a winger) for Southend and his style of play seems more suited for a role further away from our goal than Centre Half. I'm sure it would unsettle them as Mohsni would cover 2 to 3 times as much ground as Daly and, with Clark alongside him you'd have the most mobile front pairing we've seen.

I have been looking at our squad and don't really see anyone who could give us the spark required on Saturday , we could realistically drop anyone from last Sunday with no complaints but who comes in ?

Is their any lads in the youth team who could come in ?

bell

moshni

jig

faure

foster

black

shiels

law

smith

gallagher

daly

Not too bad an idea if Smith and Foster know they have to work their arse off to cover back as United will have pace down the flanks.

I think Shiels is a must start as he is one of the few left available who could do something to change the game