Memories of 'Tiny' Wharton

Looking through some old Scottish Football Books, there are some pictures of Tiny Wharton. It's hard to believe that he actually wore a blazer when working as a referee. He sounded very proper in the television interviews that you can see. Can't quite recall if he was the official at any Old Firm games that stick out in memory. Maybe he truly belongs to another era of Scottish football. He seemed such a big guy for a ref - not slim, slender or nimble.

RIP Sandy Jardine.

A very fair referee who always seemed to have the respect of the players, well except that wee ginger row-yer-boat, but then again he moaned at every referee.

Whatron would probably not get through today's fitness test for referees and that is a pity because the services of a good official would have been lost.

Looking through some old Scottish Football Books, there are some pictures of Tiny Wharton. It's hard to believe that he actually wore a blazer when working as a referee. He sounded very proper in the television interviews that you can see. Can't quite recall if he was the official at any Old Firm games that stick out in memory. Maybe he truly belongs to another era of Scottish football. He seemed such a big guy for a ref - not slim, slender or nimble.

RIP Sandy Jardine.

Big Tom Wharton refereed many games that we played against the tarriers because he was by far the best referee in Scotland at that time. One of the biggest occasions that stand out for me was the 1962-63 Scottish cup final (and replay) where he was the man in the middle for both games.

He was generally liked by the majority of players and fans because he was a firm but fair referee, where not too many players were game to argue with him(if they had any sense)

Big Tom Wharton refereed many games that we played against the tarriers because he was by far the best referee in Scotland at that time. One of the biggest occasions that stand out for me was the 1962-63 Scottish cup final (and replay) where he was the man in the middle for both games.

He was generally liked by the majority of players and fans because he was a firm but fair referee, where not too many players were game to argue with him(if they had any sense)

Sometimes your memory gets better with age. It's coming back to me ................. slowly. The first picture was around 1970, Scottish Cup game at Parkhead. I remember the goals more than the referee. In fact, I never paid that much attention to the refs then at all. Is 'Tiny' enjoying a fruitful retirement these days?

Sometimes your memory gets better with age. It's coming back to me ................. slowly. The first picture was around 1970, Scottish Cup game at Parkhead. I remember the goals more than the referee. In fact, I never paid that much attention to the refs then at all. Is 'Tiny' enjoying a fruitful retirement these days?

Unfotunately mate; Tiny died in 2005 in Newton Mearns, aged 78 years.

He had a sharp mind and a quick wit about him, as wee Johnny Hamilton of Hearts found out to his cost in a match in the 60's.

As a bit of trivia; Tiny Wharton refereed three Rangers V Celtic Scottish cup finals and all three ended in drawn games that required replays.

My late Dad couldn't stand him. I remember asking him why and he told me Wharton got a bear arrested in a pub he was in for having the temerity to politely disagree with a decision he had made in one of our games refereed by him, "a cunt of a man" was my Dad's description of Wharton.