*****The Official Sacramento Vs Rangers Thread*****

julescotia

It's great that some bears can take positives from this performance but we have to face up to reality. We need pace and youth and the manager refuses to inject either. His "token " youngster is playing out of position and urgently needs to be installed in CM. We lost to a 4th tier US side and only just beat a 3rd tier team.

Earlier today I watched an MLS side (Seattle) draw 3-3 with Spurs in a really good competitive game and they would have destroyed us! The point is that our wage bill would probably equal theirs but interestingly they introduced a lot of young players during the game and their 3rd goal was a result of a great combination between 2 20 year old subs.

As a resident of Ventura County I am embarrassed by our performance on Tuesday and have to face the music from my friends who I encouraged to go to the game and see the famous Glasgow Rangers (if it wasn't so hot here I would go into hibernation!)

I'm not a laptop loyal or a TV supporter - Rangers have been my team since I was 5 years old - I have been to 2 Cup Winners Cup Finals in Nuremberg Germany and Barcelona Spain followed my team every week for many years but never can I remember being so disillusioned with a manager.

I am not an Ally hater and I remember supporting him when he was being booed and jeered in his early days at Ibrox. He was always super Ally to me - goalscorer , great personality , terrific character BUT absolutely USELESS manager.

However one thing does bug me about Ally and how he projects himself as being a true blue - he denied us thrice !

what do you think should be the average age of the starting 11?

personally average age of 28 is exactly on the money for me. As for pace, it seems fine for me with the commentators even saying its the fastest paced game they had seen over there. We really need to work on passing and moving. very poor. Especially need to focus on getting players in who want the ball, far too many want to pass the buck.Game just passes law by and he seems quite happy with that, pity as hes quite good when on the ball.

Aird and mckay for me are nowhere near the standard needed, starting to worry about mcloed. He really should have been a stand out the last couple of seasons rather than looking like he could be a good player. would like to see him on the ball more and showing poise.

We need to also start taking chances since we create so few of them, the miss from boyd in the first half is shocking though to be fair to him very early days.says a lot about the other players when Miller looks our sharpest at 34.

all in the standard of player we have is very low we needed to make far better moves transfer wise this pre season. We should have been building a team capable of challenging them next year and to give us a strong backbone through the team with euro qualification in mind. Personally dont think any of them are good enough to play for Rangers and dominate scottish football bar maybe Wallace.

would bring their number 7 over on trial, nice with the ball at his feet and very calm in possession ,couple of good defence splitting passes. Needs some work on positioning and getting forward. not sure what age he is.

says on the offical site it was an entertaining game: is that correct?

Not in the slightest. Knocked it around slightly better than previous game, but overall we lacked touch and good finishing.

More disappointing was ally nailing his colours to the mast and player the usual suspects, no room for McKay, Gallagher, Murdoch and Clark so looks as though ally will stick with dad's army again this season

Not in the slightest. Knocked it around slightly better than previous game, but overall we lacked touch and good finishing.

More disappointing was ally nailing his colours to the mast and player the usual suspects, no room for McKay, Gallagher, Murdoch and Clark so looks as though ally will stick with dad's army again this season

would have thought Gallagher would have got a run at least?

I just looked through this thread. The 2nd half starts on page 17 or something and the disappointment when we went 2-1 up was palpable. There are certain posters on here who cream on negativity.

they are probably worried that ally will see this narrow win as a sign that his team selection is good and it works, it is only pre season but there are still signs that its going to be another square pegs in round holes seasons when we actually dont have to for once

they are probably worried that ally will see this narrow win as a sign that his team selection is good and it works, it is only pre season but there are still signs that its going to be another square pegs in round holes seasons when we actually dont have to for once

What? Shut up. There are still another 3 pre-season games until we play Hibs. Too many Mystic Meg arseholes on here.

Pre season is all about fitness, blending in new players, trying new formations etc so ultimately results don't matter much at all....my concern so far is that it seems no matter what jig is going to play and that is a serious weakness. We know fine well what he can do, why not use preseason to give law and Macleod a chance to develop an understanding? I fear it's going to be more of the same dross next season.

that's a fair point. Guess its the eye of the beholder. Played better for me, still the same problems in attack though. We look tighter at the back, dont think it could be far off them only having one shot on target that i can remember. Boyd misses an empty goal if he scores that would be 3-1 would that be classed as a good result?

Not the kind of game for Aird and Mckay, Mcloed was constantly shrugged of the ball and they where quite solid in the tackle would imagine they would have been worse. not much space anywhere on the park. Republic concentrated on closing the space and sat deep with numbers in midfield while trying to hit on the counter. Dont think temps had touched the ball for near on ten minutes before he was subbed, forgot he was playing.

Although we scored from a corner we still waste far too many of them for me.

think ally is definitely setting up to be solid through the middle for the first two games against hibs and hearts. Cant really blame him for that, if he went for it with young wingers and lost large numbers would call for his head.

must say was impressed with Miller, not his biggest fan but he looked fitter and more eager than the rest linking up play and chasing down lost causes with a nice "take down" and pass for the goal as the commentator called it!.

The difficulty we face as a support is that due to the process/ journey Ally McCoist undertook on his way to the Managers position- there is no evidence to suggest he is a good manager. However he has successfully gained promotion over the last 2 seasons. Albeit with some howlers along the way- and huge resources having been thrown at the team by the Club in way of remuneration packages. This is perhaps the reason for our negativity. It is a fear of failure.

This will be a tough season. We are now getting to the stage where throwing money at the team and outfundind our opposition will prove far more marginal an advantage. The Managerial role will become more and more significant. We cannot in all fairness criticise AMcC for preseason results. These are the games that he has to use to determine his strengths and perhaps more critically determine the areas of vulnerability/ weakness.

This season will start with a bang. It is going to be evident within a few weeks as to how the team are performing and whether or not they and the manager are fit for purpose. The least we can do for the time being is give them every support and show then the significance of the shirt they wear. I have significant doubts as to AMcC the manager- but very much want to be proved wrong. If he can win the league this year (with or without a Cup) I will be most impressed.

Just watched the game and in my opinion it was poor to say the least, the usual last paper over cracks. But for some who keep banging on about it ain't a game for players like McKay and aird, tell us when would it be a right game. Are you all happy jig keep gets getting played even though he is starting to show signs of age and IMO ain't good enough to be starting games. Pre season is mainly about trying ideas not keeping the same players in the starting 11

Went for a snooze after watching the game on You Tube (excellent coverage, great uninterrupted picture), and have just read the official match report on the Rangers website.

Whilst the report is factual, anyone who had not seen the game might believe that we were quite good - when, of course, that is not the case.

No excuses about the surface here.....the pitch was excellent, and the small, compact stadium an good venue. But, once again, we were lacking in every area, and a decidedly average Sacramento team made us look a bit pathetic at times.

Our midfield was non-existent, our defence was decidedly shakey and our finishing was piss poor. Our passing and interchange seems not to have improved from last season and we continue to make the same fundamental mistakes. I lost count of the number of times we gave the ball away when we were under no pressure although, thankfully, Sacramento were every bit as wasteful and regularly gave us the ball back.

This was another very frustrating game, reminisent of almost every game we played last season (and the 2 seasons before), and its difficult not to conclude that we have learned very little and made no real progress under McCoist. Yes it was a win, but that's about as positive as I can be.

As some have said above, we still have the 'square pegs in round holes' problem, and McCoist's apparant loyalty to players who are well past their prime - Jig is a prime example of that - will continue to be a problem in the forthcoming season. He was poor throughout the game and gave away needless fouls, although he was not the only offender - Foster, Boyd and others were equally poor.

Yes, I know this is only a pre-season friendly and fitness is the core objective - but don't we want to play well, and win well, to boost confidence and instil a winning mindset? Shouldn't all this intensive (and scientific) coaching be producing the required improvements?

We've two games remaining on this tour and I would like to think that we can win them - and win them well, but I'm not confident. I see little or no improvement, and I hear the same excuses for our poor play. Against Ventura it was the plastic pitch, and how they couldn't wait to get back on grass, yet the performance was little better on grass despite the eventual win.

I'll await the next two tour games and, particularly, that against Derby before I comment on our chances against Hearts et al.

I've just finished watching the recorded version of the game which I thought Rangers dominated. There was more urgency about our play in this game especially when closing down the opposition, however our movement and ball distribution when in possession will have to sharpened up which hopefully we will do in the remaining friendlies.I thought Nicky Law was man of the match closely followed by Kenny Miller.I liked the look of McGregor in defense and the performance of the midfield was improved with the introduction of Ian Black. Young McLeod huffed and puffed out wide on the left but it looks as if he is well on his way back from the period off illness he suffered earlier this year. Why was David Templeton played wide right when he combined so well with Wallace on the opposite wing last season? (when fit)

Main positives from the game were imo Millers movement and work rate, he offers so much more than what we've had up front for a couple of years now.

Also having McGregor on for thev2nd half gave the defence a far more solid outlook, he and Zaliukas look our strongest pairing and seem to compliment each other fairly well.

It wasn't a good performance overall but I could actually see a couple of things in there that if built on can be grounds for improvement.

Absolutely adament (especially in a 442) that our midfield should be Jigless although I have a sneaky feeling that won't be the case.

Went for a snooze after watching the game on You Tube (excellent coverage, great uninterrupted picture), and have just read the official match report on the Rangers website.

Whilst the report is factual, anyone who had not seen the game might believe that we were quite good - when, of course, that is not the case.

No excuses about the surface here.....the pitch was excellent, and the small, compact stadium an good venue. But, once again, we were lacking in every area, and a decidedly average Sacramento team made us look a bit pathetic at times.

Our midfield was non-existent, our defence was decidedly shakey and our finishing was piss poor. Our passing and interchange seems not to have improved from last season and we continue to make the same fundamental mistakes. I lost count of the number of times we gave the ball away when we were under no pressure although, thankfully, Sacramento were every bit as wasteful and regularly gave us the ball back.

This was another very frustrating game, reminisent of almost every game we played last season (and the 2 seasons before), and its difficult not to conclude that we have learned very little and made no real progress under McCoist. Yes it was a win, but that's about as positive as I can be.

As some have said above, we still have the 'square pegs in round holes' problem, and McCoist's apparant loyalty to players who are well past their prime - Jig is a prime example of that - will continue to be a problem in the forthcoming season. He was poor throughout the game and gave away needless fouls, although he was not the only offender - Foster, Boyd and others were equally poor.

Yes, I know this is only a pre-season friendly and fitness is the core objective - but don't we want to play well, and win well, to boost confidence and instil a winning mindset? Shouldn't all this intensive (and scientific) coaching be producing the required improvements?

We've two games remaining on this tour and I would like to think that we can win them - and win them well, but I'm not confident. I see little or no improvement, and I hear the same excuses for our poor play. Against Ventura it was the plastic pitch, and how they couldn't wait to get back on grass, yet the performance was little better on grass despite the eventual win.

I'll await the next two tour games and, particularly, that against Derby before I comment on our chances against Hearts et al.

Good summary.

Woke up & saw we won on twitter and I thought oh it mustve been good.

Then I saw McCulloch in midfield :disappointment:

Then I read this thread :power_of_anguish:

Seems like nothing is going to change until there is a change in the dug out.

Watching the youtube video and the commentator says "Ally McCoist excellent player, excellent manager." I guess looking at his stats you could get that impression but oh how they lie!