Sky Sources: McCoist Tenders Resignation

Scott McDermott at the Record.

A GOOD man doesn't always make a good manager.

And that will never be more prevalent in the case of Ally McCoist at Rangers.

Throughout the most turbulent spell in the club's history, he WAS the right guy to have in charge. He deserved the chance to lead Gers back to the top flight.

A figurehead, a big personality and a legend. As the face of Rangers and someone fans could relate to in times of trouble, McCoist was ideally suited to the job.

But it still doesn't make you a top gaffer.

And when you strip back all of the off-field turmoil at Ibrox over the past three years, ultimately, it's deficiencies on the pitch that have culminated in his exit.

From the minute Rangers were demoted to Scottish football's bottom tier, the club's philosophy and attitude were all wrong.

And whether he likes it or not, McCoist was central to that.

Spending huge amounts of money on over-rated, ageing players was an act of folly.

Not implementing a new style of play, built around exciting youngsters, was unforgivable.

And as for some of the signings, the likes of Anestis Agryriou, Seb Faure, Emilson Cribari and Arnold Peralta will be forever synonymous with McCoist's reign.

His status as an Ibrox icon - and greatest-ever striker - shouldn't be tainted.

But for his own, and Rangers', sake, his time as manager is up.

Professional golfer Marc Warren: "Ashamed to be a Rangers fan right now, how some of the fans can treat someone who represented us at our darkest time and gave his all."

Fuck up Marc.

Rangers fan?i don't think I've seen you at Cowdenbeath on a freezing night in November,another keyboard fan ,shut up warren

One of the attributes that the Vancouver Whitecaps gave Miller when he was here was the way he worked with/ interacted with the youngsters on the Whitecaps roster. He has his coaching badges but the Rangers managers job should never be given to anyone as their first managerial position. Miller as a player/assistant manager-coach is all that should happen down the road for this season.

Delighted he's gone but worried as to why. Why not straight after the Alloa game, rather than on a match day off the back of a win ? Plus I think Ally genuinely believed he was doing a good job. Just worried there's something in the background that he's seen as the final straw that's going to come out in the following days.

"If Rangers win at Queen of the South tonight, the board might not accept his resignation."

:lol: DJ is an absolute roaster.

I hope you've just met him at the pub, half cut, and getting an early start to the weekend when he's said this ?

If he's spouting that on air I can only assume he's having a stroke.

Rangers fan?i don't think I've seen you at Cowdenbeath on a freezing night in November,another keyboard fan ,shut up warren

I've never been to Cowdenbeath on a freezing night in November either. :(

Was the phrase not 'Anyone but Ally'? That would make him an ideal candidate...

Yes, a trained chimp would be better than ally.

However if we have a open space then we should wait for the ideal candidate not just the first one that's available.

I'd have Davies over Ally 100% but I'd rather wait to see who is all on the shortlist.