*** New Manager Discussion ***

coatbrigpirate

Olympiacos not very happy that pereira spoke to us so he may be out of a job just shortly lol there's already talk of him being replaced because of it

Dosen't surprise me. I wonder if the delay is us trying to persuade him to come.

Former Rangers manager Alex McLeish has not been contacted about a return to lead Rangers, BBC Scotland has learned.

McLeish managed at Ibrox between 2001 and 2006, winning two league titles and two Scottish Cups.

The board are speaking to a number of candidates after Stuart McCall failed to overcome Motherwell in Sunday's play-off final.

The 56-year-old was recently in charge of Belgian side Genk, assisted by ex-Rangers midfielder Alex Rae.

Speaking on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme, Rae said he would welcome an opportunity to return to Rangers with McLeish in a managerial capacity, but admitted he was unaware if McLeish had been approached as yet.

"For me, I think it would be ideal," said Rae.

"It would be a great opportunity to come back to the team I supported, but what I'm led to believe is that no-one has contacted him from within Ibrox.

"It's a bit disrespectful, because Stuart is still currently the manager.

"Time is of the essence. I think part of the due diligence is spilled over for a couple of months which normally wouldn't have been the case.

"For me, I would love someone to pick the phone up - whether it's just as a consultant to get Alex ideas.

Rae made 34 appearances for Rangers from 2004-2005

"I don't even know who is consulting Rangers, as we speak in terms of football matters and what direction to go.

"They are obviously three very good businessmen, but in terms of football, I don't know who is giving them a steer."

Rae arrived at Ibrox in 2004 and spent two years there, playing 34 games. He went on to manage at Dundee from 2006-2008 before spending time at MK Dons on a temporary basis working under his former Wolves teammate Paul Ince.

Last year, he became assistant manager at Genk, working with Alex McLeish, finishing 6th in the Belgian Pro League.

"It was a difficult ask for us, in terms of being away from our families for a year," said Rae of his experiences in Belgium. "The football side was tremendous, it was great to work under Alex.

"It was 10 years ago I played under him, and he's matured into a top manager.

"When I saw him when he was younger he was confrontational and full of energy. I was a bit surprised when I worked hand in hand with him, how relaxed he was about things.

"Ultimately, you would like to have a go again, because you get that flavour for management, and it never leaves you, and whenever that comes, I'm not in any rush, but ultimately I'd like to get back in at some stage and I'd love to work with Alex again because he was excellent - I really enjoyed working with him.

"Rangers said something about a foreign manager the other day - I'm not sure that's the road Rangers need to go down, but that's just my view.

"They might have a medium to long-term plan in place which hopefully, sooner, rather than later we'll have a better idea of."

Glad they've not been contacted after hearing rumours about it.

Is McCoists money still being paid hampering an appointment? if he sees out his contract that must take 3-400k out the equation/purse.

You would have to think that it would be to some extent. The reality is we will still be paying 2 managers.

Interesting regarding Pereira, seems likely he is getting the boot for talking to us behind Olympiakos' back. They're not happy.

Maybe that was the plan although I don't think its being reported we spoke to him has it apart from On here

2 Portugese Championships on the bounce with Porto, couple of Portugese cups, done the double with Olympiakos. Focuses on bringing through youth and plays an attacking style of football. Yes fucking please!

2 Portugese Championships on the bounce with Porto, couple of Portugese cups, done the double with Olympiakos. Focuses on bringing through youth and plays an attacking style of football. Yes fucking please!

I'd settle for it.

Found some chat about the guy!

Throughout the two seasons as FC Porto's head coach, Pereira proved he is his own man, bowing to no-one.

Armed with a well-defined attacking brand of football, he is relentless in the pursuit of the perfect movement and drills his players almost to exhaustion.

By repeating different variations of the same patterns, he is able to instil his players with a clear sense of what to do and when to do it.

Winning the title with Porto isn't exactly the hardest thing to do, especially when taking over from AVB's conquring Porto side. He came under alot of criticism during his time there despite being successful.

He's done a fair job at Olympiakos mind you and it'll definitely be a shrewd piece of business from the board if we were to get him.