Stuart Mccall Becomes Manager Till End Of Season.

STEPPS BOY

If he has the balls to drop certain players and we get promoted then we'd have to seriously look at him to be the next manager peranantely. However I still think Cathro will be our manager come the summer.

Im concerned at the way he left Motherwell. "Ive taken the team as far as i can" usually means hes lost the respect of the dressing room. He seems like the type of manager who is too pally with the players.

I don't think it's that. I think it's more he sees that the squad is shite in comparison with what he's had in the seasons before, and he wants to jump to avoid being associated too much with Motherwell getting relegated. I think he was trying to protect his reputation a bit after his great first few seasons.

Stuart has been doing a lot of punditry work on our games of late and has always spoken very well. In addition to this I would be amazed if he has not been doing some serious homework on us and already knows who and how he wants to play. I'm excited to see what happens next.

If he gets us promoted I would give him a season in the top flight to see what he can do.

I wouldn't be against it.

Some people are acting like this appointment like is "beneath" us but his record as a manager in Scotland is comparable to what McLeish's was and he got the job at a time when we had genuine quality players and were expected to compete for the all three domestic honours every year and he didn turn out too bad did he?

If he does well I think the compromise/agreement might be that he can stay on as assistant manager going forward as that would probably make him keeping on his role with Scotland a lot more manageable and likely too.

Happy with this.

We've addressed the short term problem while giving the board the time needed to really do their homework and make sure they appoint the right manager to take over in the Summer.

The last thing we needed was a rushed, poorly thought through appointment being given a three and a half year deal now.

I would agree with this , I'm happy he did a reasonable job with Motherwell after losing his best players , with one of lowest budgets in the SPL

He said he enjoys his role with Scotland and that he wouldn't be keen to give that up so maybe the compromise is come in until the Summer as a number one, drop down to number two to whoever takes over this Summer and you can combine that role with your Scotland coaching job next season.

I suggested that scenario a few days ago. I think it would be ideal for Cathro to have McCall as his number 2

If he has the balls to drop certain players and we get promoted then we'd have to seriously look at him to be the next manager peranantely. However I still think Cathro will be our manager come the summer.

If he wants the job long term then he'll certainly have to (tu) I expect to do just that and hopefully he'll inject some pace and tactics into our play!

So you are just writing off those 3 seasons of success (for Motherwell)?

Relatively successful in relative terms but this is Scottish football. there is nothing here, nothing to beat which makes his overall record even weaker. He won nothing and bar one final appearance was knocked out of every cup competition early doors, even losing to an Ally McCoist team! His record at Bradford was even worse. He walked away when the going got tough as well, possibly shows the mark of the man.

Like i say though, he will get a chance. His first team will tell us a lot. He's a cracking guy, i really hope it works out for him and he proves me wrong. I would love nothing more.