***the Official Rangers V Alloa Match Thread***

Bear cub1

How many chances can we afford to scuff over the crossbar to enable boydy to start scoring again? I say given our current predicament - none. We need to take our chances not have someone converting 1/7 of them. Therefore boyd shouldn't be accommodated.

None. We dont create many chances these days.

Two manages have walked this season because there is a clear problem with both the coaching and the system.

Have you actually watched us this season?

Are you seriously blaming Boyds lack of goals on the system despite him missing a dozen or so chances that have been put on a plate for him?

Boyd is a goalscorer, nothing else! thats all he has in his locker. You can play whatever system you like but if he cant hit the target then thats his fault and no one elses.

Its hardly like hes not getting the chances, I find it amazing you think Boyd is failing because of a so called system.

boyd only has himself to blame imo, if you look at his physique compared to last season coupled with the performances - it's clear he is having a nice relaxing time at rangers. The system might not suit him but he's had plenty of chances to stick the ball away

He's had several chances to do his talking on the pitch this year but he has absolutely no intensity in a game and looks uninterested a lot of the time, he's really good at talking in the press tho - I would give any of the others a chance in the team (although I would say that miller has also run out of chances now)

Are you seriously blaming Boyds lack of goals on the system despite him missing a dozen or so chances that have been put on a plate for him?

Boyd is a goalscorer, nothing else! thats all he has in his locker. You can play whatever system you like but if he cant hit the target then thats his fault and no one elses.

Its hardly like hes not getting the chances, I find it amazing you think Boyd is failing because of a so called system.

I honestly can't recall the last clear cut chance we created, I do recall a header he blazed over from close range, other than that, we are not creating the types of chances Kris Boyd gobbles up.

He's always been the fat lazy bastard he is now, difference is we'd play a system that suited him. Whether it be Novo getting to the byline and cutting balls back, or him feeding of Dado Prso's knock downs to Kenny Miller's runs creating space for him. We are playing Boyd in the role of Prso despite him being unable to lace the big mans boots, he's never a target man, or the focul point of the attack. Boyd is a goalscorer.

I agree with you though, I would not play him, but I feel he is getting some stick that clearly isn't deserved. Gallagher is our top goalscorer, then it's Law, despite Daly, Boyd, Calrk and Miller all being decent level goalscorers, we aren't scoring, and it's because our play revolves around getting the ball forward asap, usually from a big smash from Jig, the ball drops in or around Boyd's area and he does what he can, 9/10 it amounts to nothing, other times it'll fall at Macleods/Vuckic/law's feet, that's why our midfielders are leading the way in terms of goals, because we don't actually create any chances for our strikers.

When he does sclaff one, he's under pressure and the ball has usually ricocheted off 4 different people and he snatches at it, Boyd is instictive but nobody would score goals in the current rangers team, nobody.

And replace him with whom?

Clark? missed more chances this season than any of our strikers.

Miller? should have stayed in Canada, legs have gone, touch is well, he hasnt got one.

Daly? Total waste of whatever it is we are peying him a week, just a big clogger using his overweight frame to out muscle defenders (to poor effect)

Clark - I don't see him as a striker but as a forward, not impressed tbh.

Miller - He's finished

Daly - no idea what he is

Boyd - He's finished

Callum or Hardy. Young, full of fight, not respecting the opposition too much. I would put either way ahead of Boyd as quite frankly as of now they're pretty much an unknown quantity, however better taking the chance on them than the known quantity of ineptness the others are.

I honestly can't recall the last clear cut chance we created, I do recall a header he blazed over from close range, other than that, we are not creating the types of chances Kris Boyd gobbles up.

He's always been the fat lazy bastard he is now, difference is we'd play a system that suited him. Whether it be Novo getting to the byline and cutting balls back, or him feeding of Dado Prso's knock downs to Kenny Miller's runs creating space for him. We are playing Boyd in the role of Prso despite him being unable to lace the big mans boots, he's never a target man, or the focul point of the attack. Boyd is a goalscorer.

I agree with you though, I would not play him, but I feel he is getting some stick that clearly isn't deserved. Gallagher is our top goalscorer, then it's Law, despite Daly, Boyd, Calrk and Miller all being decent level goalscorers, we aren't scoring, and it's because our play revolves around getting the ball forward asap, usually from a big smash from Jig, the ball drops in or around Boyd's area and he does what he can, 9/10 it amounts to nothing, other times it'll fall at Macleods/Vuckic/law's feet, that's why our midfielders are leading the way in terms of goals, because we don't actually create any chances for our strikers.

When he does sclaff one, he's under pressure and the ball has usually ricocheted off 4 different people and he snatches at it, Boyd is instictive but nobody would score goals in the current rangers team, nobody.

In our last game against the mighty livi he glanced a header well wide when all he needed was a touch in the right direction and he would have scored. It's not just that he's not scoring, it's that he's not even hitting the target any more.

I had a discussion at the start of the season with a few fellow bears regarding the possibility of Boyd being re-signed and I was 100% AGAINST it.

The argument put to me was that after his impressive season with Kilmarnock, the fact we were in the Championship and that he would probably be partnered with Miller in a front two that they would both score for fun.

My rebuttal to that argument was simple ... Who is going to create the chances?

Under McCoist we had adopted the worst style of football imaginable, long balls, very little in the way of a passing game and no plan B. We had been crying out for a creative midfielder (we had one in MacLeod but Ally was insistent on playing him out wide), without the signing of such a player it didn’t matter who we had up front, we wouldn’t create enough chances to get the goals.

So to answer your question, Yes i believe the system and tactics adopted by both Ally and Kenny this season have had a huge bearing on both Boyds (and the teams for that matter) lack of goals. Lack of chances leads to lack of goals which leads to strikers low on confidence, I mean how many times have we strikers (look at Costa at Chelsea) going through dry spells regardless of effort.

Don't get me wrong I think Boyd has to take some of the responsibility also, i think quite a number of times this season I have questioned his attitude and work rate. However until the system changes, we wont see any of our strikers scoring regularly any time soon.

I had a discussion at the start of the season with a few fellow bears regarding the possibility of Boyd being re-signed and I was 100% AGAINST it.

The argument put to me was that after his impressive season with Kilmarnock, the fact we were in the Championship and that he would probably be partnered with Miller in a front two that they would both score for fun.

My rebuttal to that argument was simple ... Who is going to create the chances?

Under McCoist we had adopted the worst style of football imaginable, long balls, very little in the way of a passing game and no plan B. We had been crying out for a creative midfielder (we had one in MacLeod but Ally was insistent on playing him out wide), without the signing of such a player it didn’t matter who we had up front, we wouldn’t create enough chances to get the goals.

So to answer your question, Yes i believe the system and tactics adopted by both Ally and Kenny this season have had a huge bearing on both Boyds (and the teams for that matter) lack of goals. Lack of chances leads to lack of goals which leads to strikers low on confidence, I mean how many times have we strikers (look at Costa at Chelsea) going through dry spells regardless of effort.

Don't get me wrong I think Boyd has to take some of the responsibility also, i think quite a number of times this season I have questioned his attitude and work rate. However until the system changes, we wont see any of our strikers scoring regularly any time soon.

He's never had a work rate :P

He clamps his arse cheeks to the penalty area until the ball hits him in some way.

In our last game against the mighty livi he glanced a header well wide when all he needed was a touch in the right direction and he would have scored. It's not just that he's not scoring, it's that he's not even hitting the target any more.

I honestly can't recall that, I'm sure he did though (tu) I think the header I'm thinking of was away to Falkirk? But again, he came off the bench against Livi, a bit rusty and hasn't got the confidence just now. I'm not giving him excuses, he should have finished it based on what you say, but he's hardly had the run of games and chances needed to get back in the swing of things has he?

I'd like to say I was firmly against him coming back, I said as much at the time, but I was optimistic he could make it work. I didn't want him here as he is the lazy poacher who offers nothing but goals in a functioning team, if the team isn't functioning, he's a passenger, and we do not have a functioning team, haven't since parts of the third division IMO. To give him stick when we're playing a game that doesn't suit him seems wrong to me, I think has put on weight, he may be slightly lazier, he may not care as much, but he'll score goals when we start to create out and out chances for him. Give him something to work with and Boyd will score.... Having said that, lets play Hardie or Gallacher tonight :)

I think this shows how awful a team we are now. Those contemplating formations, players and tactics - we should be able to beat a team like this without using any tactics. We give these teams too much respect. Were have our balls gone? We used to have a huge pair of hairy sweaty orbs dangling down for all to see, so much so teams stood off of us and we had stupid possession and a stupid amount of shots at goal. Not now. These shitty wee teams will be saying, don't worry lads it's only rangers.

Sickening.

Changed days now - the reality is we are now at the same level as the likes of Falkirk, QOS etc. and that's on a good day!! Sad times

I honestly can't recall that, I'm sure he did though (tu) I think the header I'm thinking of was away to Falkirk? But again, he came off the bench against Livi, a bit rusty and hasn't got the confidence just now. I'm not giving him excuses, he should have finished it based on what you say, but he's hardly had the run of games and chances needed to get back in the swing of things has he?

I'd like to say I was firmly against him coming back, I said as much at the time, but I was optimistic he could make it work. I didn't want him here as he is the lazy poacher who offers nothing but goals in a functioning team, if the team isn't functioning, he's a passenger, and we do not have a functioning team, haven't since parts of the third division IMO. To give him stick when we're playing a game that doesn't suit him seems wrong to me, I think has put on weight, he may be slightly lazier, he may not care as much, but he'll score goals when we start to create out and out chances for him. Give him something to work with and Boyd will score.... Having said that, lets play Hardie or Gallacher tonight :)

I think we need a change and I think it's the only way forward to get out of the mess we're in. What would be soul destroying is if the team was changed in a huge way and we just performed as badly or worse than what we have been. That would really destroy all hope.

It's hard to think it was only last season when he scored a shit ton of goals for kilmarnock, what happened to him now?

Got lazy being back in his usual surroundings as before.

We don't have the luxury to be able to play with 10 men for most of the game, he should go back to Killie.

I think we need a change and I think it's the only way forward to get out of the mess we're in. What would be soul destroying is if the team was changed in a huge way and we just performed as badly or worse than what we have been. That would really destroy all hope.

:lol: true (tu)

I've been calling for Temps to start for months now, but I bet he'll have a howler tonight if he gets the nod. Walsh, Hardie and Murdoch play but all have nightmares, fans clamouring for Billy Moshni and Jon Daly to get the nod, praying Ricky Foster to make a swift return :lol:

It's hard to think it was only last season when he scored a shit ton of goals for kilmarnock, what happened to him now?

Part of the reason I didn't want him to sign is that as we know players are human beings and are effected psychologically by many things, and I knew for a fact the level of expectation would be hanging over his head until he left us again. Not only was he expected to do exactly what he did for us in the past, but it was expected he'd better it as he would be playing against lower league opposition. This coupled with the fact he was coming to a club that was probably far less professional fitness wise, diet wise, an tactically than any other team he had been at it was always going to end in tears.