Cricket

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

Hope that Cooks batting improves now that he isnt flaffing about directing the most negative field placements in the game anymore..

Not many candidates tbh. Probably be Root but he is tooo young imho..

Just hope the pressure doesn't hamper Root. Like you said though not really got a lot to pick from. 

4 hours ago, LiviGer said:

Just hope the pressure doesn't hamper Root. Like you said though not really got a lot to pick from. 

England did this years ago with Botham and it very nearly ruined his career..Root like Botham will feel duty bound and honoured to be asked and will take up the role..That could affect him in a very negative way..

Botham was such a talent that he was able to show his class and go on to be a Legend. I just fear Root might not be made of the same stuff..I would love to be proven wrong though..

1 hour ago, TEFTONG said:

England did this years ago with Botham and it very nearly ruined his career..Root like Botham will feel duty bound and honoured to be asked and will take up the role..That could affect him in a very negative way..

Botham was such a talent that he was able to show his class and go on to be a Legend. I just fear Root might not be made of the same stuff..I would love to be proven wrong though..

Same happened to Freddie to an extent. Couldn't handle the pressure as captain. I would give Stokes or Broad the captaincy. I think they could handle the pressure of it. 

11 minutes ago, LiviGer said:

Same happened to Freddie to an extent. Couldn't handle the pressure as captain. I would give Stokes or Broad the captaincy. I think they could handle the pressure of it. 

Freddie was so bad I wiped him from my memory...:confused:...Broad is a cocky shite he could handle it. I just don't think they will go with him..Stokes is a good shout..But he does have a bit of an anger issue when things don't go his way...

17 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

Freddie was so bad I wiped him from my memory...:confused:...Broad is a cocky shite he could handle it. I just don't think they will go with him..Stokes is a good shout..But he does have a bit of an anger issue when things don't go his way...

Seen Root is 1/50 with the bookies for it so I think it's pretty much nailed on he's getting it :lol:

seen KP tweeting about 20 minutes after the news broke #bringbackKP that is why he will never be near the squad again!

Flintoff should never have been given the captaincy in the first place. Was patently obvious that Strauss was the man for the job. The selectors just got caught up in oor Freddie-mania like the rest of the country.

Broad is of the wrong generation to take it, IMO. England need to use the opportunity to commit to the new generation with guys like Hameed, and forgetting the likes of Bell and Compton (Further reading: Australia with Renshaw and Handscomb). The only candidiates are Root and Bairstow as far as I'm concerned. The only issue with Bairstow is that you probably wouldn't want him captaining, keeping, and batting in the top 6; so you'd need to recall Buttler.

I'd imagine Root taking the captaincy will see him look to really focus, and eliminate those stupid dismissals he gets in the 60s and 70s. If he learns to knuckle down and sort out his conversion problem, he could push his average to not far behind Smith's IMO.

PSL started yesterday with aplomb. Excellent opening ceremony followed by an outstanding game of t20 cricket. Peshawar Zalmi put up 190 and Islamabad United (the reigning champs) won with 2 balls to spare under the D/L method. Sam Billings hitting the winning 4. 

It was the old guard who lit the game up though - Kamran Akmal made 88 off 48 for Peshawar and Brad Haddin spanked 73 off 39 for Islamabad. 

7 minutes ago, Sulla said:

Should be balanced by the improvement to Cook's game!

Wouldn't be surprised if Cook hit a bit of form now! He needs too otherwise he will be out the side. Jennings and Hammed looked good on their debuts. Can't fit them all in the side unless one of them plays at number 3 which I think would hinder them. 

23 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Australia tour to India starts this month,the Indians don't seem to play many test matches away from home.

Will be interesting to see how the aussies get on in India. Wonder if Warner will still be as aggressive opening. 

30 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Australia tour to India starts this month,the Indians don't seem to play many test matches away from home.

Wonder why that is.....corrupt bastards. 

6 minutes ago, LiviGer said:

Will be interesting to see how the aussies get on in India. Wonder if Warner will still be as aggressive opening. 

Can't do much worse than the last time they toured :lol: 

37 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Also the news emanating from Lahore today is absolutely gutting. Means that I think the PSL will sack off playing the final in Lahore and stick to Dubai or Sharjah. 

Pakistan continue to remain in the international wilderness. 

Pakistan cricket is struggling due to what's going on there. I know that they have more to worry about than their cricket team but when you watch the tests in Dubai or any of their temporary homes there is zero atmosphere. Does nothing for the games reputation.