Cricket

Nice too see Rashid added to the Ashes squad although I'll be surprised if he chosen for the first test at Cardiff.

England squad for first Test: Alastair Cook (captain, Essex), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Gary Ballance (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Jos Buttler (wicketkeeper, Lancashire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Adam Lyth, Adil Rashid, Joe Root (all Yorkshire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Mark Wood (Durham)

England should pick Rashid in Cardiff. They'll have flattened that pitch into a road to nullify the Aussie seamers, so it would be insane not to pick the closest thing they consider to be a spinner. They won't though, they'll pick Moeen.

Rashid isn't their best spinner either, to be totally fair...

England should pick Rashid in Cardiff. They'll have flattened that pitch into a road to nullify the Aussie seamers, so it would be insane not to pick the closest thing they consider to be a spinner. They won't though, they'll pick Moeen.

Rashid isn't their best spinner either, to be totally fair...

There's one rule, you must always follow, in Cardiff...

Play Panesar.

:D

I think you're being unfair on Rashid. I rate him and have done a while. He spins it both ways, he'll go for runs but he'll get wickets.

If Eng pick him, and I think there's a good chance in this first test, then I can see him having a big series. His role will primarily be to clean up the Aussie tail who invariably always bag runs against Eng.

I think you're being unfair on Rashid. I rate him and have done a while. He spins it both ways, he'll go for runs but he'll get wickets.

If Eng pick him, and I think there's a good chance in this first test, then I can see him having a big series. His role will primarily be to clean up the Aussie tail who invariably always bag runs against Eng.

If it wasn't for Moeen Ali's weakness against the short ball you could drop Bell or Balance and play him in the top 5 and pick Rashid as well.

I remember he did that on his IPL debut years ago and I thought "nahhh this guy is just lucky". 7 years later, how wrong I was. Sensational cricketer.

Bizarre that he ends up with the exact same score :lol:

He might get a few low scores and get out to a few daft shots, but if you don't get him out early, you're in big trouble!

Bizarre that he ends up with the exact same score :lol:

He might get a few low scores and get out to a few daft shots, but if you don't get him out early, you're in big trouble!

He's a brilliant player and captain - it would be unfair to say he's changed NZ cricket single handedly, but he's played a huge role in their attacking mindset. As you say, sometimes it falls flat on its face (world cup final comes to mind) but they are now one of the most enjoyable teams to watch.

England are making the same transformation.

Pakistan stuck in the dark ages still, we need to blood youngsters and bring through more attacking all rounders for the shorter forms of the game.

Ryan Harris has announced his immediate retirement from cricket through injury and will play no part in this summer's Ashes series.

Sad news he was an honest hardworking bowler...who could have had some say with a bit of medium paced "swing" at the Ashes...Do the Aussies have a young up and coming replacement..??

Sad news he was an honest hardworking bowler...who could have had some say with a bit of medium paced "swing" at the Ashes...Do the Aussies have a young up and coming replacement..??

They've called up Pat Cummins. He's a totally different type of bowler. Genuine pace, but he's not played first class cricket in two years through injury. Pattinson seemed the smarter call in my book.

Pakistan - wow. 13-2 chasing 377 on Day 4 of the test in a huge deciding test match against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. Now 230-2. Maiden century from Shan Masood and another century from that man Younis Khan.

Need 147 on day 5 with 8 wickets in hand. If we do it, it'll be the highest successful run chase in SL ever and will put us up to 3rd in the test rankings.

Pakistan - wow. 13-2 chasing 377 on Day 4 of the test in a huge deciding test match against Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka. Now 230-2. Maiden century from Shan Masood and another century from that man Younis Khan.

Need 147 on day 5 with 8 wickets in hand. If we do it, it'll be the highest successful run chase in SL ever and will put us up to 3rd in the test rankings.

Stumps Day One of the First Ashes Test.

England win the toss and elected to bat first on an absolute road of a pitch at Cardiff.

Eng 343-7

Root 134

Hazelwood 3-70

Really strange day, truth be told. Hardin dropped Joe Root on 0 which would have reduced seen England 43-4. England recovered well but Australia took a few wickets in the evening session to get back in it. No telling damage done by either side, truth be told. This one has "batting draw" written all over it. The scorecard makes it look England's day, but 400 is probably no better than par on this pitch.

If there's anything closely resembling a fast pitch in this series, Gary Ballance will get out within an over. He was clueless against the short ball on a slooooowww pitch.