Cricket

You would expect a fight back. Australia still have a few more gears, but I think England do too.

Good point. I never felt like England were playing to their maximum potential. If the likes of Cook, Bell, Stokes etc come to the party this dads army Aussie team will be demolished. The Aussies may be forced to react and make 2-3 changes. Not ideal after just 1 test.

5-0 worth a punt? :pipe:

Good point. I never felt like England were playing to their maximum potential. If the likes of Cook, Bell, Stokes etc come to the party this dads army Aussie team will be demolished. The Aussies may be forced to react and make 2-3 changes. Not ideal after just 1 test.

5-0 worth a punt? :pipe:

I thought the ashes would all depend on the bowlers and its first blood to England. I think the 1 day games vs New Zealand have given England a huge confidence boost at the right time. The whole philosophy looks to have changed. Root is going to be key, if he does well, England do well.

I thought the ashes would all depend on the bowlers and its first blood to England. I think the 1 day games vs New Zealand have given England a huge confidence boost at the right time. The whole philosophy looks to have changed. Root is going to be key, if he does well, England do well.

Root makes the whole fuss around Pietersen look ridiculous.

I remember when Cook flew out from the Windies A tour to Pakistan to cover Tres and got his hundred. I thought there's a player. Within a year or so I was saying he'll break all England's batting records, even the World records too.

I look at Root and think he can better Cooks stats. That'll be some career if he does.

Root makes the whole fuss around Pietersen look ridiculous.

I remember when Cook flew out from the Windies A tour to Pakistan to cover Tres and got his hundred. I thought there's a player. Within a year or so I was saying he'll break all England's batting records, even the World records too.

I look at Root and think he can better Cooks stats. That'll be some career if he does.

It's a shame Cook has hit a bad patch. I think he has the captains curse. I think your right about root, i think he'll break the English batting records.

Looks like Australia are at least toying with Marsh coming in for Shane lbw/review Watson.

If Watson was picked because of his bowling, which I'm fairly sure he was, then replacing him is the right move. Watson can barely bowl ten overs an innings anymore. Would be surprised to see Haddin dropped so the only other possible change is Starc being replaced if he's not right for the second test. Peter Siddle would replace him you'd think.

The fact they didn't trust Marsh enough to go with him 1st test, instead of picking the experience of Watson, speaks volumes. Maybe not about the boys ability but definitely about the mentality of the Aussies.

If England were in this position, losing the test in 4 days, injury and form concerns over most of their bowling attack and unsure of their best 11 then I'd be worried.

The fact they didn't trust Marsh enough to go with him 1st test, instead of picking the experience of Watson, speaks volumes. Maybe not about the boys ability but definitely about the mentality of the Aussies.

If England were in this position, losing the test in 4 days, injury and form concerns over most of their bowling attack and unsure of their best 11 then I'd be worried.

The predominant opinion in Australian cricket is that Mitchell Marsh is the future. He's absolutely the better batsman of the two, and takes more wickets than Watson, but he's a very raw bowler. He'll throw a bad ball in a little too often and Australia like the spare seamer to be a holding bowler, rather than a strike bowler.

Given the spare bowler is only bowling 10 overs a match, I don't much see the point. I'd be inclined to just pick Shaun Marsh. As it is, they like the balance of an all-rounder. They just would have preferred Watson have one more series to give Marsh more time to tune his bowling technique.

Marsh is a much better player in 2015 than Watson. There's only so long you can be a talented underachiever before you're just not good enough.

If your cook, you try and make the Aussies bat for as long as possible to reach 400-450. Then you tell the batsmen to just stay in there as long as possible, and make the draw an almost guaranteed result by the time the second innings comes about

Cook was in damage limitation mode for most of yesterday and Australia were going at 3.5 an over without much risk.

If Australia decide to enter T20 mode England will struggle to keep them at 6 an over.

I think this pitch will turn from day 4, so Nathan Lyon will be Australia's key to winning.

Cook was in damage limitation mode for most of yesterday and Australia were going at 3.5 an over without much risk.

If Australia decide to enter T20 mode England will struggle to keep them at 6 an over.

I think this pitch will turn from day 4, so Nathan Lyon will be Australia's key to winning.

I think the key for England is to bat for as long as possible in their 1st innings. England should not fear Australia's bowling after the 1st test.

Cook to score a treble ton...?

Gave up watching this, for the golf, coz it just looked a batting draw. It's a flat pitch and it just needs a cool head to accumulate and there's plenty support in Butler and Ali to come. Doesn't look good, but England do have history of snatching redemption from almost certain embarrassment.

Crucial first hour tomorrow.

Doubt the Aussies will enforce the follow on anyway.

They'll look to get in and score quick for a couple sessions. Rest the bowlers, after back to back tests, then bowl them out in a day and a half at least.

This is about taking as much time out the game as possible for England here.

Yeah Clarke won't enforce the follow on. There's still 2 full days after today and I don't think the bowlers will take kindly to being asked to start again after 100+ overs.

Australia will look to be batting tonight and tomorrow morning. I reckon they'll declare not long after lunch tomorrow (pending they polish the tail off reasonably quickly after tea).