Cricket

Smith is a lot like Federer. 

His entire game is built around trusting that he’s brilliant. It doesn’t matter what coaches will say, or whether everything is textbook. 

Smith’s whole game is essentially based around the fact that he’s more likely than not going to middle it every time he plays a shot. He constantly plays into the trap set for him, he seems to score most of his boundaries that way.

I don’t know why people say he isn’t pleasing to the eye, because he’s incredible to watch. 

Easy to say, he’ll end up out first ball tomorrow, but actually coming up with a plan to stop him is a fool’s errand.

Best batsman of his generation.

3 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Matthew Wade is brutal. He’s definitely getting out to a part-timer.

England have bowled worse than a Sunday league amateur and Roots field placements have been woeful.

Moen Ali is truly dreadful.

Rain to help England get a draw..??

26 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Aussies have a great chance to win this if Lyon bowls well. He's the key today. 

Personally hope he has a nightmare today. But doubt it.

I would love to see England go for it, but after watching Root bowl with a new ball that was 7 overs old it sort of gave the game away that they are going to be ultra negative and attempt to secure a draw. 

18 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

England have bowled worse than a Sunday league amateur and Roots field placements have been woeful.

Moen Ali is truly dreadful.

Rain to help England get a draw..??

For a pro cricketer, playing for a top nation at the very highest level, and somebody you'd consider as a spin bowler who is decent with a bat, to bowl a ball about 3' above Steve Smiths head.... jesus.

I've never played cricket other than messing around a few times every summer with my mates and I think we'd all be embarrassed with that!

Ali's stats look good, but certainly in the last few years, he provides next to no cutting edge when it matters!

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

For a pro cricketer, playing for a top nation at the very highest level, and somebody you'd consider as a spin bowler who is decent with a bat, to bowl a ball about 3' above Steve Smiths head.... jesus.

I've never played cricket other than messing around a few times every summer with my mates and I think we'd all be embarrassed with that!

Ali's stats look good, but certainly in the last few years, he provides next to no cutting edge when it matters!

When you look at his dismissal in the first innings you wonder if he has forgotten he is an actual cricketer. 

I've seen him in the flesh at a 20/20 game and he was sublime. Bowled magnificently and batted for a superb 50 off 22 balls. But in recent times his confidence and performances have been woefully inadequate.

It's not easy to bowl I've tried it and boy did I look foolish. But he is a professional.

Lyon was outstanding today. Not the biggest turner of the ball, but so neat, tidy and accurate.  A very classy spinner and somewhat overlooked when talking of the top players in cricket today.

And then there is Smith..... taking everything into context, pressure, redemption, conditions, hostility, etc..... that will surely go on to be considered as one of the very finest individual matches we will get to witness in our lifetime.

I don’t think England need to be making overreacting and making wholesale changes. 

Archer for Anderson

Leach for Moeen 

There are arguments for dropping Denley, but I don’t see who comes in. You could use Curran, but if you’re doing that plus dropping Moeen, you’re really extending the tail. I’d be inclined to do it anyway. Having the extra seamer would let you use Archer (and even Broad) as a strike bowler with Woakes and Curran bowling longer spells.

Chat of dropping Bairstow is madness, though I don’t think Foakes should have been dropped in the winter.

A lot of pressure and expectation on Archers shoulders, and the boys unproven at test level.

Suddenly with Anderson injured, England look a whole lot weaker relative to Australia in the bowling department, and the Aussies have Starc and Hazelwood in reserve - Starc is a fantastic player and will surely play the next 4 and Hazelwood isn't exactly a bad option either. Australia don't exactly look weaker for those 2 coming in, infact stronger with the inclusion of Starc if the pitch is fast.

If Archer isn't what we are hoping, then it might be a long Ashes series.