Cricket

18 hours ago, Badger said:

Why do they not use hotspot anymore?

Despite what snicko says, Warner didn't hit that ball. His shadow has clear daylight between bat and ball when the spike shows, and it doesn't look like it hits.

Not for the first time, snicko is debateable this series, this one being IMO quite obviously wrong. Umpires can only go on the tech though.

Apparently it’s pretty expensive and so some nations were refusing to pay for it. They wanted DRS to be the same in every country so they got rid. 

I agree though, he definitely didn’t hit it. I’d guess that noise was his spikes on the pitches. He drags his foot in-time.

2 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Apparently it’s pretty expensive and so some nations were refusing to pay for it. They wanted DRS to be the same in every country so they got rid. 

I agree though, he definitely didn’t hit it. I’d guess that noise was his spikes on the pitches. He drags his foot in-time.

Yeah I think snicko is fine in >95% of occassions, but it is proving ineffective or unclear on some occassions, and seems to give a false spike on some occasions too.

With Warners dismissal yesterday, everything except snicko says he missed and missed clearly, but then it would be a hugely controversial call to over rule snicko.

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

Yeah I think snicko is fine in >95% of occassions, but it is proving ineffective or unclear on some occassions, and seems to give a false spike on some occasions too.

With Warners dismissal yesterday, everything except snicko says he missed and missed clearly, but then it would be a hugely controversial call to over rule snicko.

There was a similar problem in the last test where one of the England batsmen were adjudged to have missed a ball that they clearly played on to their pad. 

Thankfully impact was outside the line and so the ‘correct’ decision was made,  but that’s twice in two matches where snicko has almost certainly led to errors.

I like when they use both because it’s rare that an opportunity for error in one wouldn’t be clarified by the other.

If Leach could get a fivefer tomorrow then he will be the next "cult hero" of English cricket. He has laid the foundations to be so. Just needs a big wicket haul to cement it.

Entire Oval crowd singing "stand up if you love Jack Leach". Any fielder who stops one of his shots gets booed to high heaven. What a summer.

2-2. Brilliant t series for excitement, glad we won today to stop the convicts winning the series. Some brilliant batting , some brilliant bowling and a good few unbelievable catches. 

Only nade 2 of them this time but next series if fit enough I will be doing 3 tests in Australia 

22 minutes ago, kplfishtank said:

I don’t think they are great but if you can’t give a team praise when they bounce back from the previous week then you’d be as well giving up. 

Im not really a cricket fan . My comment was more tongue in cheek towards the media and how anything English is biased.

Last week it was being spun that the focus was always the World Cup not the ashes.

Now they are saying a 2-2 draw against a stronger Australian team is a positive outcome. 

😂😂😂

I was unaware that Sir Ian Botham and David Gower were leaving Sky Sports.

Feel quite sad that they won't be providing their insight. Mind you on a few occasions this Ashes series they have both went off on a rambling tangent that was at times uncomfortable to watch.

So perhaps 25 years is enough for them both. 

11 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Im not really a cricket fan . My comment was more tongue in cheek towards the media and how anything English is biased.

Last week it was being spun that the focus was always the World Cup not the ashes.

Now they are saying a 2-2 draw against a stronger Australian team is a positive outcome. 

😂😂😂

I’ve been of the opinion that England cricket board wanted WC before Ashes. 

2-2 was a good result because ultimately Australia were better in more spells over the 5 tests than us. 

16 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

2-2 was a good result because ultimately Australia were better in more spells over the 5 tests than us. 

I think Australia will be gutted not going home 3-1 or 4-0 winners. Paine made some poor calls and it cost them - I can't see him lasting long as captain.

For England its consolidation in clutching an unlikely draw. Interesting to see where the ECB focus things now. Not convinced the Hundreds in best interests of the game, but no doubt in the best interests of the bank balance.

I don't know many true cricket fans that actually like the shortest formats of the game.

On 16/09/2019 at 18:57, kplfishtank said:

The difference was Smith for the Aussie's and England not having Anderson. The draw was probably the correct result. 

It was brilliant drama and I was lucky to see most of it. 

I fucking despise the Indian cricket board / team / fans

Sri Lanka had agreed to tour Pakistan, then 10 prominent players pulled out (despite many of them going over the past 2 years) because of threats of reprisals from IPL teams not selecting them. Then a mystery 'terror threat' against the Lankans materialised and they had to re-assess going. Turns out there was no terror threat and they will now continue to tour as planned.

I wonder where that mystery terror threat came from...

The BCCI have too much power and need their wings clipped

6 hours ago, psb07158 said:

I fucking despise the Indian cricket board / team / fans

Sri Lanka had agreed to tour Pakistan, then 10 prominent players pulled out (despite many of them going over the past 2 years) because of threats of reprisals from IPL teams not selecting them. Then a mystery 'terror threat' against the Lankans materialised and they had to re-assess going. Turns out there was no terror threat and they will now continue to tour as planned.

I wonder where that mystery terror threat came from...

The BCCI have too much power and need their wings clipped

That’s a shame , will home games still be in UAE then ? 

Just signed up for first dibs on the 100 tickets starting next summer. 

Don't want to upset the purist's here but these games will be great for the kids. The boy has already asked for a Top and he did watch a lot of the last two Ashes tests with me. 

It was 20/20 that started his interest in the game. 

England fast bowler James Anderson is being helped by Manchester City in his bid to recover from the injury that has threatened his career.

The country's leading Test wicket-taker, 37, missed the bulk of the Ashes series with a calf complaint.

He managed only four overs in the first Test against Australia at Edgbaston and has not played since.

City have agreed he can train at their Etihad campus, making use of the world-class facilities and medical staff.

The arrangement will see Anderson train at City for the next two months, and he will be accompanied by England's head of strength and conditioning Rob Ahmun.

Anderson hopes to be fit for the tour of South Africa starting in mid-December, for a four-Test series over Christmas and New Year.

He has said he has no plans to retire and wants to emulate football legend Ryan Giggs by playing until he is 40.

Anderson and Ahmun met with City's head of sports science Sam Erith on Tuesday to discuss what one England and Wales Cricket Board insider described as "a collaboration".

The insider said: "It is about a change of scene for Jimmy, but also a way of tapping into some of the best facilities and experts in the world."

It is not the first time Anderson has trained at a Premier League club rather than at Old Trafford, home of his county Lancashire.

Last year he spent time at Burnley, having been invited to train there by manager Sean Dyche.

• 2 weeks later...