Cricket

2 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

Scotland cricket team making a right arse of qualifying for the next 20/20 World Cup in Australia.

Need 62 runs from 24 balls to get the 160 run total to beat Namibia...??  Currently 99/6. ☹️

Shambles.

I remember joining a cricket club about age 14.

We got to play...... 1 game all summer due to weather, and we usually got coached in a gym hall - as the practice wickets were too wet

It was a particularly wet summer that year but.... fair to say, that cricket fell out of favour.

That's the reality on the west coast - even the northern counties of England are a lot drier (I have lived in Lancashire for a while, and it's far drier than Ayrshire) - the climate doesn't make for cricket, and probably one of the biggest reasons the game hasn't really taken off here.

On 21/10/2019 at 18:38, Badger said:

Have to say..... everything about 'the hundred' looks a bit shit.

Yeah I don’t really know what the point of it is. The branding isn’t even consistent. Teams should all be named after the cities they play in like the Big Bash in Australia.

Such a long lead into it too. I doubt there will be much interest by the time they actually play.

Positive news. 

Scotland remain on track to reach the T20 World Cup next summer after a comfortable 46-run win over Bermuda in qualifying.

The routine victory was just what the Scots needed after some shaky performances, including defeat by Namibia last time out.

But, led by Calum MacLeod's brilliant knock of 74 from just 37 balls, they set their opponents a challenging target of 205 to win.

In reply Bermuda could only hit 158-8.

Scotland earn tense victory over PNG

Scotland recover to ease past Kenya

Scotland now need to beat the Netherlands to guarantee a place in the knockout phase, with six teams from two groups progressing.

They have won three and lost two of their matches so far.

MacLeod took just 27 balls to reach his seventh T20 half century and his 74 included nine fours and two sixes before he was eventually caught by George O'Brien off Kamau Leverock.

His T20 career-best knock took him past 1,000 runs for Scotland in the format.

MacLeod was ably supported by George Munsey, who himself hit a half century, scoring 51 from 41 balls as the Scots put Bermuda's attack to the sword.

Bermuda mounted a spirited response, led by Delray Rawlins, who hit 46, and Leverock's unbeaten 43 but Mark Watt, Safyaan Sharif and Hamza Tahir all took two wickets for Scotland.

Bermuda have now lost all four of their qualifiers so far.

2 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

One off game for Scotland to get to T20 World Cup today. 

Better bloody bat well today. Some of their performances have been woeful. 

Very disappointing after the promise shown pre World Cup and the victory over England. 

James Vince ensured England began their winter tour of New Zealand on a high with a seven-wicket victory in the first Twenty20 in Christchurch.

Vince struck a fine 59 off 38 balls as England reached a target of 154 with nine balls to spare in Chris Silverwood's first game as head coach.

Delighted for my Hampshire captain. 

On 01/11/2019 at 15:55, TEFTONG said:

James Vince ensured England began their winter tour of New Zealand on a high with a seven-wicket victory in the first Twenty20 in Christchurch.

Vince struck a fine 59 off 38 balls as England reached a target of 154 with nine balls to spare in Chris Silverwood's first game as head coach.

Delighted for my Hampshire captain. 

Well he is shit at catching just now :p:

Pak pumped by the Aussies in the t20 series, as was expected tbh. Lots of young players in the team and going through a transition with the captaincy moving. 

Couple of tour matches then the 1st test starting on the 21st at Brisbane. Not holding out much hope for this. Historically always been pretty hopeless on the bouncy wickets

On 11/11/2019 at 06:26, psb07158 said:

Pak pumped by the Aussies in the t20 series, as was expected tbh. Lots of young players in the team and going through a transition with the captaincy moving. 

Couple of tour matches then the 1st test starting on the 21st at Brisbane. Not holding out much hope for this. Historically always been pretty hopeless on the bouncy wickets

Good news at least about games going ahead in Pakistan 

Just now, kplfishtank said:

Good news at least about games going ahead in Pakistan 

Great news but remains to be seen whether the top Sri Lankans travel or not. Pakistan is safe to play cricket in, but players are being threatened by India that if they travel to play in Pakistan they run the risk of not being selected in the IPL.  It's a more political argument now sadly

@psb07158 Hoping this boy performs well for you guys. 

Sixteen-year-old pace bowler Naseem Shah will make his Pakistan debut in the opening Test against Australia in Brisbane this week.

Naseem, who has played only seven first-class matches, has taken 27 wickets at an average of 16.66.

"This is going to be a really tough series and I need to showcase my skills - but I am not feeling any pressure," Naseem told BBC Urdu.

The two-Test series starts at 00:00 GMT on Thursday at the Gabba.

Naseem's mother died during Pakistan's tour game against Australia A this month.

He missed the second day of the three-day match but bowled brilliantly to take 1-21 in the second innings, including removing Test opener Marcus Harris.

At 16 years and 279 days, Naseem will become the ninth youngest Test debutant. Pakistan's Hasan Raza, who made his debut in 1996 aged 14 years and 227 days, is the youngest.

"Not many players can reach that standard so early, but there are exceptions and he's one of them," said captain Azhar Ali.

"We are all looking forward to him having a very successful career."

Australia captain Tim Paine said: "He looks a really exciting talent. Pakistan have got a knack of finding these young fast bowlers.

"He looks like another one that's going to add to that rich history."

Pakistan, who have never won a Test series in Australia and have no Test victories there since 1995, also have two 19-year-old bowlers - Shaheen Afridi and Musa Khan - in their squad.

The second Test is a day-night match in Adelaide, starting on 29 November.

Australia beat Pakistan 3-0 in the Twenty20 series that preceded the Tests.

4 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

@psb07158 Hoping this boy performs well for you guys. 

Sixteen-year-old pace bowler Naseem Shah will make his Pakistan debut in the opening Test against Australia in Brisbane this week.

Naseem, who has played only seven first-class matches, has taken 27 wickets at an average of 16.66.

"This is going to be a really tough series and I need to showcase my skills - but I am not feeling any pressure," Naseem told BBC Urdu.

The two-Test series starts at 00:00 GMT on Thursday at the Gabba.

Naseem's mother died during Pakistan's tour game against Australia A this month.

He missed the second day of the three-day match but bowled brilliantly to take 1-21 in the second innings, including removing Test opener Marcus Harris.

At 16 years and 279 days, Naseem will become the ninth youngest Test debutant. Pakistan's Hasan Raza, who made his debut in 1996 aged 14 years and 227 days, is the youngest.

"Not many players can reach that standard so early, but there are exceptions and he's one of them," said captain Azhar Ali.

"We are all looking forward to him having a very successful career."

Australia captain Tim Paine said: "He looks a really exciting talent. Pakistan have got a knack of finding these young fast bowlers.

"He looks like another one that's going to add to that rich history."

Pakistan, who have never won a Test series in Australia and have no Test victories there since 1995, also have two 19-year-old bowlers - Shaheen Afridi and Musa Khan - in their squad.

The second Test is a day-night match in Adelaide, starting on 29 November.

Australia beat Pakistan 3-0 in the Twenty20 series that preceded the Tests.

We have him, Mohamed Husnain, Shaheen Afridi and Musa Khan who are all under 20 who can bowl 90+mph and generate some swing. There’s a little bit of concern that they’re inexperienced and in Aus you have to bowl spells where 6 balls are right on the money and these guys don’t have that control yet but it will be phenomenal experience 

Excited for the tests, think we will lose we just don’t have sufficient batting depth for this level but hoping for a good contest

8 hours ago, Badger said:

It doesnt seem to be a fast scoring wicket, which I suppose brings the draw into play. We are going into day 4 still on the first innings.

But NZ are back in control.

It's been a pretty woeful excuse of a test match tbh. 

So negative and dull.