Cricket

27 minutes ago, Badger said:

Aside from the obvious reasons, with the bout of illness to Archer and Broad especially, I never understood not giving them an extra days rest by batting first. 

It was a decision that seemed always likely to have England chasing the game. 

Root in his early days as captain often got England out of trouble because he was the best test batsman in the world. I don’t think his decision making has ever been great, often individual brilliance rather than tactical acumen won us tests.

Now other teams have caught up with us, his baffling decisions as captain are starting to become highlighted more. Why on earth do you bowl first when you’re bowlers are sick and you’re in difficult conditions abroad? Absolute madness...

Jimmy Anderson needs 19 more Test wickets for 600. Stuart Broad needs 22 more for 500. There are 91 more potential wickets available for England this winter. So, what are the chances they’ll reach those milestones a) before the summer, b) in the same Test?

I'm enjoying this test and big KP is pretty decent in the commentary box. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

England are playing decent, but the wickets made it as easy as you could hope for on a day 3 pitch. Very slow and flat- balls did nothing today.

Didn't expect that, thought it would deteriorate further as it looked to be getting tricky yesterday.

I think England bowled superbly. But of course we will see when South Africa bat last on the pitch. It might be as flat and lifeless as you said.

13 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

I think England bowled superbly. But of course we will see when South Africa bat last on the pitch. It might be as flat and lifeless as you said.

England bowled really well yesterday, the pitch was also quite dead for a bit, but the bounce came later on - a good patient display and got their rewards when the wicket started doing something. TBH as disciplined an England performance as I've seen these last 5yrs. 

The pitch was dead today.  I don't think South Africa were particularly awful, just the ball did almost nothing all day.  England batted well, but I won't get too carried away - I don't think it was particularly challenging for the batsmen other than being a bit slow to score on. 

May be interesting if the pitch stays like this and England stay in until after lunch tomorrow - but conditions look like the ball might start to swing a bit tomorrow.

England can't lose from here. Even if the pitch stays flat, it's a slow scoring wicket, and it would be tough for South Africa to get the 300 odd needed in 4.5 sessions to salvage a win. 

3 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

Let’s hope we can get the 8 wickets today and set up for next 2 tests. Good to see Sibley get the ton. 

England can't lose from here - The wickets too slow to threaten another 300 runs during a days play without taking risks that would see wickets fall. South Africa would need to play very well to  draw, and do something absolutely outstanding to win. 

If the wicket remains dead, I give England a 75% chance of a win - it's still a big, big ask to go through a whole day 5's play with 8 wickets - if the wicket starts to do something +95% chance of a win.

a couple of wickets before lunch and a win is surely near certain. I expect they will get rid of the Maharaj quickly, being a nightwatchman - but if South Africa get to lunch with 200-3 or similar.... game on.

5 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Sky Sports: 'Is Stokes better than Botham?'

FFS, this national lovefest for Stokes is ridiculous.

The media lovefest for Stokes is entirely understandable. He’s a genuine world-class all rounder; who also happens to be a gun fielder; and who has developed a habit of producing his very best cricket at the most dramatic opportunities. 

He’s not better than Botham, but if he continues at this level he could be. 

On 28/12/2019 at 18:54, Badger said:

The Aussies are starting to look like a properly good team just now.

Fantastic fast attack and Lyon is a top class spinner.

Middle order still looks weakish, but they are only a player or two away from being the clear #1 test side IMO.

I think once Paine goes and they bring in a keeper who is either more consistent or more destructive with the bat then they’ll become very difficult to beat. 

Aggers talks sense.

It is a mark of the great all-rounders that they have the ability to suddenly step up a level whenever needed.

Ian Botham had it. Kapil Dev had it. Richard Hadlee had it. And Ben Stokes has it.

In taking the final three wickets to lead England to a 189-run victory over South Africa in the second Test, Stokes showed again he has that characteristic.

The greats have something in them that just allows them to go up a gear and win a match.

Stokes had to do it on day five at Newlands.

James Anderson was injured, Stuart Broad was not quite bowled out but had put a lot of effort in, and England needed someone to run in hard and bowl in a hostile manner to the lower order.

He finished it off with the ball, but his second innings with the bat, when he hit a magnificent 72 off 47 balls, was also vital.

The time he bought England by playing like that actually played a big part in them winning the game.

England might not have had the overs to spare late on day five if Stokes had not play so selflessly and skilfully to help his side reach a position where they could declare just after lunch on day four.

Stokes born for the big moments - Root

TMS podcast: Stokes seals thrilling England victory

Stokes is an outstanding person who clearly loves the game.

He pushes his body to the limit every time and is a proper team man - he got as much enjoyment from Dom Sibley making his maiden Test century in Cape Town as Sibley did himself.

Stokes has got a lot of distractions at the moment with his father still in hospital but he can still turn up, perform like that and care so much about his team-mates - that's a measure of the man.

He was also superb in the field, taking six excellent catches in total, while England's catching throughout the game was brilliant and reward for having worked very hard on their fielding.

Joe Root took a very good catch to remove Dwaine Pretorius and Zak Crawley took that superb one on the rebound, which was very nonchalant from someone playing only their second Test match in such a key moment.

If you catch your catches it can get you back in the game from a position like England were in after getting bowled out for 269 in their first innings.

That was a below-par total but England still found a way to win.

It was in large part down to Anderson's bowling in taking 5-40 in South Africa's first innings, brilliant slip catching throughout and chipping away at the hosts in the second innings until Stokes could finish it off.

Anderson to have scan on side injury

Brilliant Stokes inspires England - relive dramatic late win

'I'm just trying to be Ben Stokes'

There was something utterly absurd about Cricket South Africa putting out a statement on Tuesday saying it endorses four-day Test cricket.

It is not the right way for the game to go.

People who play the game and love the game know it is not the right thing to do.

It is dangerous to have administrators messing with something that's so precious.

It is like dealing with an endangered species. Test cricket needs to be protected and have responsible administrators who are going to work out a way of making five-day cricket viable, rather than just taking the easy option and cutting it to four days.

With four-day Tests, you would not have had the finish to this Test, you would not have had the tension of the fourth day or the pulling and shoving for ascendancy on the third day.

That's what Test cricket is. You may as well can it rather than chop it down to four days.

Four-day Tests are not in the game's best interest and it is great to see Virat Kohli and Sachin Tendulkar, Tim Paine and Shane Warne and Root and Stokes saying that this must not happen.

Jonathan Agnew was speaking to BBC Sport's Jack Skelton.

The best all rounders are big game players.

The reason Stokes is compared to Botham is because he steps up when the odds are against him. 

If he performs for another 2-3years  in the same vein of form as he has this past 12 months, he’ll be on par with Botham IMO. Needs to do it down under before he’ll be an all time great

England could easily score 500+ today.

Don't think SA have bowled well but.... this pitch has nothing in it for the bowlers so far, ball is doing absolutely nothing - given conditions you'd expect a bit of swing, but just not coming. Not a fan of tests when the pitches are offer this little.

So long as you bat OK, then it is difficult to lose when batting first in these conditions. Scoreboard pressure and pitch deterioration just see it that way 

That said Stokes has been sublime, and Pope not bad either.