Sign in to follow this  
psb07158

*** The Official Cricket Thread ***

3 hours ago, kplfishtank said:

Let’s hope we can get the 8 wickets today and set up for next 2 tests. Good to see Sibley get the ton. 

England can't lose from here - The wickets too slow to threaten another 300 runs during a days play without taking risks that would see wickets fall. South Africa would need to play very well to  draw, and do something absolutely outstanding to win. 

If the wicket remains dead, I give England a 75% chance of a win - it's still a big, big ask to go through a whole day 5's play with 8 wickets - if the wicket starts to do something +95% chance of a win.

a couple of wickets before lunch and a win is surely near certain. I expect they will get rid of the Maharaj quickly, being a nightwatchman - but if South Africa get to lunch with 200-3 or similar.... game on.

Watched Root persist with spin for what felt like forever today. Had to come to my work for a 30 hour shift and it all kicks off when I need to catch up with it on my phone. 🤪😝💙🏏

What a man Stokes is 

Screenshot_20200107_145221_com.bskyb.sportnews.jpg

35 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Honestly no idea that why I asked?

Ben was aquitted, looks like the prosecution had a scum lawyer as they fucked up the charges.

Good final session though, thoroughly entertaining.

dummiesoot likes this

5 hours ago, ayrshireranger said:

Sky Sports: 'Is Stokes better than Botham?'

FFS, this national lovefest for Stokes is ridiculous.

The media lovefest for Stokes is entirely understandable. He’s a genuine world-class all rounder; who also happens to be a gun fielder; and who has developed a habit of producing his very best cricket at the most dramatic opportunities. 

He’s not better than Botham, but if he continues at this level he could be. 

TEFTONG likes this

On 28/12/2019 at 18:54, Badger said:

The Aussies are starting to look like a properly good team just now.

Fantastic fast attack and Lyon is a top class spinner.

Middle order still looks weakish, but they are only a player or two away from being the clear #1 test side IMO.

I think once Paine goes and they bring in a keeper who is either more consistent or more destructive with the bat then they’ll become very difficult to beat. 

Aggers talks sense.

It is a mark of the great all-rounders that they have the ability to suddenly step up a level whenever needed.

Ian Botham had it. Kapil Dev had it. Richard Hadlee had it. And Ben Stokes has it.

In taking the final three wickets to lead England to a 189-run victory over South Africa in the second Test, Stokes showed again he has that characteristic.

The greats have something in them that just allows them to go up a gear and win a match.

Stokes had to do it on day five at Newlands.

James Anderson was injured, Stuart Broad was not quite bowled out but had put a lot of effort in, and England needed someone to run in hard and bowl in a hostile manner to the lower order.

He finished it off with the ball, but his second innings with the bat, when he hit a magnificent 72 off 47 balls, was also vital.

The time he bought England by playing like that actually played a big part in them winning the game.

England might not have had the overs to spare late on day five if Stokes had not play so selflessly and skilfully to help his side reach a position where they could declare just after lunch on day four.

Stokes born for the big moments - Root

TMS podcast: Stokes seals thrilling England victory

Stokes is an outstanding person who clearly loves the game.

He pushes his body to the limit every time and is a proper team man - he got as much enjoyment from Dom Sibley making his maiden Test century in Cape Town as Sibley did himself.

Stokes has got a lot of distractions at the moment with his father still in hospital but he can still turn up, perform like that and care so much about his team-mates - that's a measure of the man.

He was also superb in the field, taking six excellent catches in total, while England's catching throughout the game was brilliant and reward for having worked very hard on their fielding.

Joe Root took a very good catch to remove Dwaine Pretorius and Zak Crawley took that superb one on the rebound, which was very nonchalant from someone playing only their second Test match in such a key moment.

If you catch your catches it can get you back in the game from a position like England were in after getting bowled out for 269 in their first innings.

That was a below-par total but England still found a way to win.

It was in large part down to Anderson's bowling in taking 5-40 in South Africa's first innings, brilliant slip catching throughout and chipping away at the hosts in the second innings until Stokes could finish it off.

Anderson to have scan on side injury

Brilliant Stokes inspires England - relive dramatic late win

'I'm just trying to be Ben Stokes'

There was something utterly absurd about Cricket South Africa putting out a statement on Tuesday saying it endorses four-day Test cricket.

It is not the right way for the game to go.

People who play the game and love the game know it is not the right thing to do.

It is dangerous to have administrators messing with something that's so precious.

It is like dealing with an endangered species. Test cricket needs to be protected and have responsible administrators who are going to work out a way of making five-day cricket viable, rather than just taking the easy option and cutting it to four days.

With four-day Tests, you would not have had the finish to this Test, you would not have had the tension of the fourth day or the pulling and shoving for ascendancy on the third day.

That's what Test cricket is. You may as well can it rather than chop it down to four days.

Four-day Tests are not in the game's best interest and it is great to see Virat Kohli and Sachin Tendulkar, Tim Paine and Shane Warne and Root and Stokes saying that this must not happen.

Jonathan Agnew was speaking to BBC Sport's Jack Skelton.

The best all rounders are big game players.

The reason Stokes is compared to Botham is because he steps up when the odds are against him. 

If he performs for another 2-3years  in the same vein of form as he has this past 12 months, he’ll be on par with Botham IMO. Needs to do it down under before he’ll be an all time great

TEFTONG likes this

No one has mentioned it I'm sure, but was it the South African captain who injured Jimmy with the blatant body check in the 2nd innings day 4 ?

On 08/01/2020 at 00:18, ayrshireranger said:

Sky Sports: 'Is Stokes better than Botham?'

FFS, this national lovefest for Stokes is ridiculous.

I think Stokes is a Kiwi.

England could easily score 500+ today.

Don't think SA have bowled well but.... this pitch has nothing in it for the bowlers so far, ball is doing absolutely nothing - given conditions you'd expect a bit of swing, but just not coming. Not a fan of tests when the pitches are offer this little.

So long as you bat OK, then it is difficult to lose when batting first in these conditions. Scoreboard pressure and pitch deterioration just see it that way 

That said Stokes has been sublime, and Pope not bad either.

Root was bowling well today. 

But how bad have South Africa become ? 

Since the sand paper series they seem to have gone backwards. 

England have played well in patches but the throwing away of wickets by SA has been embarrassing tbh. 

15 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

Root was bowling well today. 

But how bad have South Africa become ? 

Since the sand paper series they seem to have gone backwards. 

England have played well in patches but the throwing away of wickets by SA has been embarrassing tbh. 

Amla, De Villiers, Morkel and Steyn have all retired since the sandpaper test - I think any team would struggle losing 4 players of that quality in quick succession. They have Philander going after the next test - another top class player. Even Elgar and Du Plessis are well into their 30's and whilst I don't think I'd consider either to be top class, they are established test batsmen who will not be around for too much longer. So really in terms of established quality, they are left with Rabada and De Kock.

With England putting 500 on the board it was always going to be hard. Granted SA had the worse of the conditions in this test, but it still isn't a bad batting pitch and 300 should be considered a par score, the ball is turning a bit but still not doing a great deal for the seamers. SA are not a good team just now, definitely approaching the lowest ebb of a transition period - I cannot see how they are rated above England in the rankings, but I expect them to rapidly fall.

It is easy to be carried away by England here, but... Root and Bess are taking 9 wickets between them which tells its own story. 

TEFTONG likes this

Don't want to take away from England who have played really well in patches and are actually starting to look like theres a foundation there to build on.

But.... I don't care about the rankings, this South Africa side are the worst test team England have played in some time. They have been really, really poor this series.

Just giving wickets away when batting, and... bizarre fields and spells of uninspired bowling. Much as England have played well in patches, I don't think they've been good as much as South Africa have been bad.

TEFTONG and Malvern like this

54 minutes ago, Badger said:

Don't want to take away from England who have played really well in patches and are actually starting to look like theres a foundation there to build on.

But.... I don't care about the rankings, this South Africa side are the worst test team England have played in some time. They have been really, really poor this series.

Just giving wickets away when batting, and... bizarre fields and spells of uninspired bowling. Much as England have played well in patches, I don't think they've been good as much as South Africa have been bad.

Sri Lanka then the Ashes will be the real test for these young Lions. As we both agree that SA are only going one way in Test cricket and it's not up. 

17 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

Sri Lanka then the Ashes will be the real test for these young Lions. As we both agree that SA are only going one way in Test cricket and it's not up. 

Not sure Sri Lanka will be too much of a test - England won relatively comfortably there just over a year ago, and Sri Lanka are another side who have went backwards since.

The Ashes in Australia will be the acid test though. The Aussies are looking like a top team again, especially at home - cannot see an England win over there, but a competitive showing bodes well for this young team. 

Don't know what to make of this series result against SA though beyond they've convincingly beaten a team at a very low ebb.