Davie Weir

I didnt quite realise what he had achieved with us and this quite from stv reminded me...

The defender enjoyed five highly successful seasons at Rangers, winning the Scottish Premier League three times, the Scottish Cup twice and the Scottish League Cup three times under manager Walter Smith - making over 140 appearances for the club.

Welcome back to a legend indeed, some record like

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At the time, when he signed I thought - wit the fuck is Walter doing signing this old man?

My god, how wrong was I?

Not only was he a solid defender, he made the whole defense work as a unit. He made Cuellar into an £8m defender, and won a lot in those years.

A true legend, and great captain.

Welcome home Davie.

Overrated in my opinon. He had the benefit of playing beside two amazing CBs in Cuellar and Bougerra. Many will say Weir helped those two but I think it was the other way round. Once Bougherra left Weir was left badly exposed for pace at the back and was quickly out of the team for good.

Warbuton did well at Brentford but it's uncertain how much of that success, if any, was down to David Weir. What is certain is that David Weir's time at sheffield united was a total disaster. If it wasn't for Warbuton where would David Weir be right now? Don't get me wrong, if Weir's ex-player status has helped Warbuton get the job then he has my thanks. Couldn't be happier with Warbutons appointment.

Fans look at Weir, remember him as a player, and think this makes him a good coach. The nightmare that was Ally McCoist should remind people that being a good player and a Rangers man doesn't mean you know fuck all about coaching or football management. Many also say that Weir will tell Warbuton how big the club is, how important it is to be successful, etc. Warbuton's not an idiot he knows winning games. He has eyes and ears and will witness the fans passion for himself he doesn't need someone to draw his attention to it.

Overrated in my opinon. He had the benefit of playing beside two amazing CBs in Cuellar and Bougerra. Many will say Weir helped those two but I think it was the other way round. Once Bougherra left Weir was left badly exposed for pace at the back and was quickly out of the team for good.

Warbuton did well at Brentford but it's uncertain how much of that success, if any, was down to David Weir. What is certain is that David Weir's time at sheffield united was a total disaster. If it wasn't for Warbuton where would David Weir be right now? Don't get me wrong, if Weir's ex-player status has helped Warbuton get the job then he has my thanks. Couldn't be happier with Warbutons appointment.

Fans look at Weir, remember him as a player, and think this makes him a good coach. The nightmare that was Ally McCoist should remind people that being a good player and a Rangers man doesn't mean you know fuck all about coaching or football management. Many also say that Weir will tell Warbuton how big the club is, how important it is to be successful, etc. Warbuton's not an idiot he knows winning games. He has eyes and ears and will witness the fans passion for himself he doesn't need someone to draw his attention to it.

you my friend....are an idiot

I get what your saying, but one unsuccessful stint as a manager probably has no overall baring as what he has as an ability as a coach. He was in high regard at Everton, with his role in the academy and reserve team, and it's obvious that Warburton sees quality in him so I think it may be a bit unfair to judge him on that one managerial post.

Overrated bollocks.

A defensive partnership is exactly that - a partnership.

What weir lacked in pace he made up for in positioning and if he failed he had Boughie to cover him with his pace.

The same can be said if Boughie got caught out of position then Davie would clean up.

Cuellar, Bougherra and Wilson all got 'big' moves off the back of playing with Weir. His positional sense was so good it didn't matter that any pace he ever had was gone.

Warburton seems to think that Weir contributed just as much as he did to their success at Brentford.

You think it's coincidence but both mentioned AND Wilson got moves to EPL sides after playing next to Weir?

Remember being underwhelmed when we signed Weir and Dailly - pair of them proved me wrong though! Read in Weir's book we wanted to keep Dailly for longer but we couldn't afford his wages.

The whole "made Cuellar and Bougherra what they were" stuff is nonsense

It was a partnership and they were all good for each other

Weir would've been a bombscare alongside someone like McCulloch

Disagree weir was quite switched on and actually surprised me how good he was positionally i'd say he definitely got players like Cuellar and Wilson their moves.

His positional sense was so good it didn't matter that any pace he ever had was gone.

I recall is differently. I remember us sitting very deep indeed and one of the main reasons for this was Weir's lack of pace. Alexander commented on this after the league cup final against the Tims. He came in to the team and said how difficult it was to play with the defense so close to the goal.

Also, Hooper and other quick strikers were standing right next to Weir waiting for a ball over the top. Hooper left Weir for dead at Celtic park. No amount of experience will help you cath someone who runs twice as fast. Watch the first 10 seconds of this video:

In the end Weir was a liability. Quick strikers were standing right next to him and teams were just hitting balls over the top.

The guys not even signed on the dotted line yet and the slating has started, I hope us fans come together and get behind the management team and New players

Wasn't sir Davie a well respected coach at Everton prior to his spell at Sheff utd,i know a boy who supports utd and he said Davie never got the support he deserved

He didn't. He had a shockingly bad start though which may or may not have continued, who knows.

Cuellar, Bougherra and Wilson all got 'big' moves off the back of playing with Weir. His positional sense was so good it didn't matter that any pace he ever had was gone.

Exactly mate, you only need to look at John Terry last season to see a good defender doesn't always have to rely on pace alone, positional sense is just as important and DW was a master at it.