Mark Warburton Uses Twitter To Spy On The Squad

Mark Warburton last night admitted he uses Twitter to spy on his players.

But the Rangers boss insisted it was for their own good as it would stop them from running into trouble with their training programmes.

He joked: “I blame David Weir for getting me on Twitter. It was a moment of weakness over a glass of red wine last term.

“All joking apart, David said you can find what the players are up to.

“It’s true. It’s a source of information if, for example, they are on golf days. It’s important to know what they are doing.

“At a hectic stage of the season if you are doing a structured training programme based on recovery and the guys are out walking 18 holes – then you have a problem. We could pre-empt a few of those, that’s why I did it.”

Warburton is only of only three bosses in the top two divisions – alongside Dumbarton’s Stevie Aitken and Livingston’s Mark Burchill – who contribute to the social media site.

But despite seeing his followers crash through the 30,000 mark he has no fears over the abuse that saw ex-Celt*c boss green teeth ditch his online account.

Asked about the potential for abuse he said: “If you come into this game with a thin skin you are in trouble.

“I’m not saying comments don’t hurt you but you have to rise above that.”

I certainly admire Mr Warburton for his honest approach to how he expects the players to behave. The fact that Davie Weir persuaded him to go on twitter over a glass of wine does make me ask this question..I hope DW has told MW that he should expect to be abused and trolled by the most obsessed bunch of fucktards that have ever been shat into existence!!??..

The more Rangers win and the closer we get to taking them on toe to toe the more the abuse will rain down from the Great Unwashed Hordes...(all done from hacked accounts of course!!??)...I admire his "tough skin" attitude but to deal with the scum up here he will need skin like a Rhino...

So do we give it 2 months??

I certainly admire Mr Warburton for his honest approach to how he expects the players to behave. The fact that Davie Weir persuaded him to go on twitter over a glass of wine does make me ask this question..I hope DW has told MW that he should expect to be abused and trolled by the most obsessed bunch of fucktards that have ever been shat into existence!!??..

The more Rangers win and the closer we get to taking them on toe to toe the more the abuse will rain down from the Great Unwashed Hordes...(all done from hacked accounts of course!!??)...I admire his "tough skin" attitude but to deal with the scum up here he will need skin like a Rhino...

So do we give it 2 months??

Hehehe 'shat into existence'... Actually laughed out loud there. Wonderfully put sir.

The whole lot of them should just come off it.

No possible good can come of Twitter. It's the online playground of wankers and weirdos.

Couldn't agree more. Ask wee Temps on the retribution our very own Bruce Springstein took out after the wee man's GF posted pictures from the now infamous Karaoke night on her Twitter account.

The whole lot of them should just come off it.

No possible good can come of Twitter. It's the online playground of wankers and weirdos.

I agree with you mate but its just part of modern day life to have social media accounts,it's how you use them that makes the difference.

The players are well drilled on how they should behave on and off the park and this is the gaffer letting them know he is watching them so they can have no complaints if they act up on there and get disciplined.

I've got to disagree with the majority here. I think using Twitter is a positive thing. It interacts with fans and allows us a small insight into what the manager is thinking rather than reading some paper that has twisted his words and took them out of context. Also, like Warburton has already said, it means he can keep an eye on the lads and see what they are up to. It's not as if the gaffer is busy tweeting halfway through the game is it? If you look at his content on Twitter he puts a message up every other day to let the fans know what he's thinking and to say what he's feeling at that time. Popcorn teeth was on it 24/7 arguing with folk like the bam he is.

It's another indication of how forward thinking the man is.

I'm a Brentford fan and have no allegiances either way with the Old Firm but I was sad to see MW leave us. I do follow Scottish football being half Scottish however.

I am glad you guys are enjoying the start he has. I think it's night and day how he approaches the game versus your old gaffers. He's an excellent manager and will go far in the game.

When he was promoted to manager at Brentford he brought the same style of play there; attractive attacking ball game. His obsession with the small things gives the team an edge as well, very similar to the Sky cycling team manager Dave Brelsford

Anyway I watched your game on Friday and have to say it was night and day versus your side of last season especially on the fitness side of things.

Hope you enjoy his tenure and you will be challenging your rivals in no time.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to disagree with the majority here. I think using Twitter is a positive thing. It interacts with fans and allows us a small insight into what the manager is thinking rather than reading some paper that has twisted his words and took them out of context. Also, like Warburton has already said, it means he can keep an eye on the lads and see what they are up to. It's not as if the gaffer is busy tweeting halfway through the game is it? If you look at his content on Twitter he puts a message up every other day to let the fans know what he's thinking and to say what he's feeling at that time. Popcorn teeth was on it 24/7 arguing with folk like the bam he is.

It's another indication of how forward thinking the man is.

Sorry M8 bit its mostly the fannies, not the fans who use twitter. MW can easily go on RTV or the official website and talk directly to the fans. I'm sure that an /mW townhall meeting, like Trump, would pull in a bunch a real fans. Twitter, meh, not for this Bear

I'm a Brentford fan and have no allegiances either way with the Old Firm but I was sad to see MW leave us. I do follow Scottish football being half Scottish however.

I am glad you guys are enjoying the start he has. I think it's night and day how he approaches the game versus your old gaffers. He's an excellent manager and will go far in the game.

When he was promoted to manager at Brentford he brought the same style of play there; attractive attacking ball game. His obsession with the small things gives the team an edge as well, very similar to the Sky cycling team manager Dave Brelsford

Anyway I watched your game on Friday and have to say it was night and day versus your side of last season especially on the fitness side of things.

Hope you enjoy his tenure and you will be challenging your rivals in no time.

See since you're no using him can we have MacLeod back?

What's this rubbish about golf days?

Souness banned golf to avoid injury, and was backed up with Shankly's comment that it was a good walk wasted.

I think our fitness guy should poke his nose in to this.

:anguish:

Recovery, its more important that the training as it lets the body and muscles rest, real relaxing recovery should not mean walking 6 miles on an afternoon on a golf course.

Theres something strange about two men in their 40s and 50s getting pished and trying to convince each other to go on twitter. Is there actually anyone of the age of 17 on twitter who isnt a celebrity or something, and if so, why?