Remember When You Were Young.....

Orange&Blue

I was 8 years old when my Dad took me to my first cup final in 1963. In a crowd of over 100,000 we thrashed Morton 5-0 (we had a team full of legends) and I remember saying to my Dad, "do you not feel sorry for all these teams that Rangers keep beating, they really haven't got a chance" and his reply was along the lines of "don't feel sorry for any of them, you'll understand one day". It didn't take long for that 'understanding' to become crystal clear, I wanted to beat every team we played.

Don't get me wrong, in those 'bygone days of yore' there was hatred between 'them' and us but not really to any great extent with other teams. However, over the years that hatred from other teams has steadily grown; I can still see the 'venom' in Simpson's face when he broke Ian Durrant's leg. Now the hatred and bitterness from across the Scottish football spectrum has reached a frenzy and we all know where we stand "they ALL hate us" and I for one really don't care.

My children were brought up during this increased hatred and envy and clearly understood "do not feel sorry for any team we beat"; they have experienced some great Rangers teams over recent years and now look forward to our climb back to the top.
As we enter a new era in our journey and the visible potential to regularly thrash teams I have two messages for all the young Bears, "don't ever feel sorry for the opposition" and with the way our team is shaping up, "remember this season, this was the start" and you will be able to say in years to come "I remember when I was young......"

We must never give sympathy, but on the rare occasion when we face the real underdogs, who have only ever dreamed of playing on our hallowed turf but fight with everything they can muster, then we must give complete respect.

I was 8 years old when my Dad took me to my first cup final in 1963. In a crowd of over 100,000 we thrashed Morton 5-0 (we had a team full of legends) and I remember saying to my Dad, "do you not feel sorry for all these teams that Rangers keep beating, they really haven't got a chance" and his reply was along the lines of "don't feel sorry for any of them, you'll understand one day". It didn't take long for that 'understanding' to become crystal clear, I wanted to beat every team we played.

Don't get me wrong, in those 'bygone days of yore' there was hatred between 'them' and us but not really to any great extent with other teams. However, over the years that hatred from other teams has steadily grown; I can still see the 'venom' in Simpson's face when he broke Ian Durrant's leg. Now the hatred and bitterness from across the Scottish football spectrum has reached a frenzy and we all know where we stand "they ALL hate us" and I for one really don't care.

My children were brought up during this increased hatred and envy and clearly understood "do not feel sorry for any team we beat"; they have experienced some great Rangers teams over recent years and now look forward to our climb back to the top.
As we enter a new era in our journey and the visible potential to regularly thrash teams I have two messages for all the young Bears, "don't ever feel sorry for the opposition" and with the way our team is shaping up, "remember this season, this was the start" and you will be able to say in years to come "I remember when I was young......"

To be in a crowd of over 100,000 would be epic. I was lucky to experience the enclosures standing but for the older bears who had this I am a jealous bastard.

My daughter got a season ticket before me this season but her man is keeping her under the wing so our younger bears in some cases are not just romancing they are true blue romancing long may it continue.

My older cousin first took me to Ibrox when I was 8 or 9, late seventies. He had just lost his mother, my auntie Kathie who I loved with all my heart and following Rangers was an escape for both of us during a very difficult time. The players we watched traveling all over this country will always be ingrained in my mind, like wee bud at Patrick who shook my hand after losing out on a throw in, then apologised for his language! The people who looked after me and lifted me over many turnstiles will be forever in my heart and although I knew none of them, they were the epitome of what being a Rangers fan meant to me. The attitude and values of those men is what I aspired to, not just following Rangers, but in life in general.

WATP.

I was at a few games with over 100k - games against Celtic at Hampden including the centenary cup final. Also when I did go to see Scotland play. In 1969 for a Scotland draw 0-0 , only the second time ever a 0-0 draw the other was the very first time they played, the attendance in the 1969 game was 134,000 with a few thousand on top of that because of forged tickets

My first ever Rangers game was a 2-0 win over Hibs at Ibrox circa 1964/65. I was there with my dad & my 2 brothers. I was stood on 2 beer cans right at the front of the terracing which is now the Copland front. Jim Baxter was playing that day , that's all I remember.

Fast forward 50years & I was there on Friday night in the old East enclosure (SE5) ST holder cheering on Rangers like I did all those years ago.

I still get goosebumps to this day when I see Ibrox on match days.

What we've had to endure in the past 4 years has changed my mind set regarding other teams in Scotland. I used to have a sort of soft spot for Dundee for example , whose fans used to 'sash it up' with us years ago when we visited Dens Park , but now I absolutely HATE every other club in Scotland.

This post started nostalgic from childhood memories following Rangers to hatred for all other teams in this country. Pretty sad state of affairs but at the end of the day I've not got a problem telling the world that I hate everyone except Rangers , in fact I'm kind of proud of myself that I've taken this stance in defence & support of our magnificent club.

It's only Rangers that matter.

End of story.

That 1963-64 season was epic.We won the treble as we won the League by 6 points from Kilmarnock (2 pts for a win in those days). We ran riot in the Scottish Cup scoring 20 goals conceding just 1 goal on the way to the final in April '64 where we cuffed Dundee 3-1 in front of a crowd just short of 121,000 fans.

The October 1963 League Cup Final the OP refers to was won in style 5-0 against Morton in front of a crowd of over 105,000 The early rounds of the LC were done in groups of 4 teams playing home & away where we topped our group with 11 points followed by Kilmarnock (6 pts) Celtic (6 pts) and QotS (1pt) Our only blip being a 2-2 draw against Kilmarnock at Rugby Park in the last group game. We scored 22 goals - 7 conceded in the 6 games and thrashed the scum 3-0 home & away.

We drew 1-1 against East Fife at Bayview Park in the QF and beat them 2-0 in the return at Ibrox to set up a SF contest against Berwick Rangers at Hampden Park which we duly won 3-1 (Morton defeated Hibs 1-0 in a replay after a 1-1 draw)

The final at Hampden was notable for the fact that the 5 goals for Rangers were scored by 2 cousins who were born 5 days apart; Being the late Alex Willoughby and his younger cousin by 5 days;Jim Forrest who scored 4 goals.

It doesn't get much better than that,folks :pipe::thumbup:

Thank's Ozblue for the detail on that year, what a year that was. I was also at the SC final. As I said we thrashed a number of teams that year, hence my comment as a youngster about feeling sorry for those we leathered. However, experience has taught me otherwise and we should never ever take our foot of the throat of any opposition.

Onwards and upwards.