God Bless You Sir Keep Fighting.

KingKirk

Rangers legend Fernando Ricksen talks to his wife via TEXT message as he reveals he can no longer speak properly
THE 39-year-old is fighting motor neurone disease and is also losing the ability to carry out basic tasks.
SNSJS55326189.jpg
Fernando Ricksen spends time thanking the thousands of fans that filled Ibrox for his special day

RANGERS legend Fernando Ricksen has revealed he can no longer speak properly and has to communicate with his wife via text messages.

The 39-year-old is fighting motor neurone disease and is also losing the ability to carry out basic tasks such as driving a car and tying his shoelaces, the Sun has reported.

Ricksen has told of his worsening condition in an updated version of his book Fighting Spirit.

VIEW GALLERYJS55317968.jpg

He wrote: “My fingers started to get crooked and I noticed Veronika had more trouble understanding me.

“It was becoming difficult to swallow. I could hardly tie my laces and could not even lift a cup with one hand.

“I realised — damn, I am really sick. And nothing can make me better.

“I know now I won’t cut meat again. Or drive a car. I don’t have the power. I know I’m doomed to only communicating via WhatsApp. My voice won’t come back.”

VIEW GALLERYFernando-Ricksen.jpg

Despite his horrifying illness however the former Ibrox star remains upbeat.

He adds: “It could be worse. A year and a half after the diagnosis I feel, under the circumstances, pretty good.

“I have bad days but that’s natural. I just want to stay alive. I want to see my daughter grow up. I want to do absolutely everything.

“I’m planning on the rest of my life. Not the end of it.”

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always will be one of the greatest bears, life's short but whats happening to Fernando is cruel beyond belief, hope he gets his dream of seeing his daughter growing up, thsnking fans shows how much class the man has.