Sometimes Things Happen For A Reason

hammer93

Towards the end of last seasons disaster this board was awash with all sorts of arguments and debates, the argument that stood out for me was the one that would we benefit from another season in the championship?

In truth most people were of the opinion that promotion was a must as another season in the championship would leave us trailing further behind the tims on and off the field.

Now had we got promoted I don't know for certain but my gut feeling is that Stuart McCall would of kept the job and a few of the imposters would of earned New contracts.

I have even read that a lot of people are now saying if only we had brought MW in last season then it would be of been so different, again just my opinion but I doubt even MW and his magic hat could of worked his footballing philosophy on the dross he would of had at his disposal, would we then still of had the same belief in MW?

As it turned out we failed in the play off and another season in the championship it was, now I don't know about anyone else but I now can't wait for the next time I see the Rangers play whether it's on the box or at the game.

As I said sometimes things happen for a reason and it turns out another season in the championship was the right thing for the club.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we got promoted we may have been stuck with Stuart McCall and a couple of cheque book signings. It took the biggest fuck up in our history, Ally's McCoist, to finally get the change we've been so desperately needing.

I'm delighted with Warburton. He's the best manager in the country and I'm confident he'll get the better of Celtic's man.

Nope, still not buying into this. If we got promoted we could have been challenging for the league with the right investment, that mhob aren't that far ahead. Not getting promotion was a disaster, because now they have another free run at another league title and another chance to play CL football for more money. The sooner we're up and challenging the better I'll feel.

Nope, still not buying into this. If we got promoted we could have been challenging for the league with the right investment, that mhob aren't that far ahead. Not getting promotion was a disaster, because now they have another free run at another league title and another chance to play CL football for more money. The sooner we're up and challenging the better I'll feel.

Goat I get what your saying but I'm not convinced we would have MW as a manager if we had git promotion, I'm sure boyd contract got another year with promotion, we will be up next year with a good footballing side who will compete with more quality coming in, it may look like another year lost but I believe we have already made up years on the tims already.

Not going up was a disaster. It's done now though and automatic promotion is a must now.

The only plus side about having this season in the championship is MW gets a whole season to assess where he feels we need to improve to challenge for the title straight away and you can bet by about Febraury/March time a guy like him will be sounding out the right players for us.

Most fans felt that if Stuart McCall got us promoted he should get a crack at the top-flight. That's not pretend. If we went up we might not have Warburton at the club who is a far superior manager.

It's obviously a blow in the short-term but long-term this may be the best thing.

Most fans felt that if Stuart McCall got us promoted he should get a crack at the top-flight. That's not pretend. If we went up we might not have Warburton at the club who is a far superior manager.

It's obviously a blow in the short-term but long-term this may be the best thing.

Agreed a case of short term pain for long term gain.

We will never know but if McCall had been given the gig I for 1 wouldn't be so bullish of our chances of competing with the tims in the near future.

It was a disaster simply down to the money spent to fuck up like we did, to win the 3rd,2nd and stay in the first we could have spent a third of what we did on first team wages

21 million quid in player wages to still be in the championship now is an unmitigated disaster that ally mccoist takes the brunt if not all the responsibility for

Agreed a case of short term pain for long term gain.

We will never know but if McCall had been given the gig I for 1 wouldn't be so bullish of our chances of competing with the tims in the near future.

We can't outspend Celtic so we need to beat them by finding bargains, developing players, and playing better football. Warburton is a perfect fit for us right now. We'll get promoted this season, and finish at least 2nd the following season. That'll give us a solid foundation to push on from.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves : we still have to go up this year. We are only 3 games into the season. If the wheels come off, and they might at some point, however briefly, we need to get behind the team and Warburton.

We are where we are. However it is looking infinitely better than the same time last season.

No.

Not going up was a disaster for our plans.

No point lying to ourselves to make it seem less of a blow.

Both of you are spot on.

Both of you are spot on.

I disagree gogzy as promotion would of seen us venturing into a short term fix, not going up guaranteed MW as manager who is going to be responsible for seeing a whole new infrastructure being put in place from the bottom to the top, for me 1 more year in the championship is a reasonable price to pay for our future gains.

I disagree gogzy as promotion would of seen us venturing into a short term fix, not going up guaranteed MW as manager who is going to be responsible for seeing a whole new infrastructure being put in place from the bottom to the top, for me 1 more year in the championship is a reasonable price to pay for our future gains.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I think if we had got into the premiership, we would have had to spend more money, but we would be in the top flight. We NEED to be in the top flight.

We had to rebuild regardless, promotion would have meant we did our rebuilding a league higher so that would have clearly been better in my opinion.

We are where we are obviously and so far it looks to be working out but I'll never buy into the idea that failing to get promoted was a good thing

Warburton would still have got the job and we would be one step closer to getting back to the top. We would also have been able to attract a better standard of player to the club, more revenue from a higher league, more ST sales, just more of everything.

Not going up was a disaster for the club.

We will have to agree to disagree.

I think if we had got into the premiership, we would have had to spend more money, but we would be in the top flight. We NEED to be in the top flight.

we will be back next season where we will challenge the tims, do you honestly believe we would be challenging this season had we say stuck with McCall?

The crowds are flocking back because we are playing a brand of football that is entertaining, packing out Ibrox every game is a must, as I have said I can handle the short term pain for what now looks a very optimistic future.

I think that the OP is being highly speculative. There's no way you can say what would have happened if McCall had got us into the SPL via the play offs. If he had, I'd say he did a good job, but to assume that he'd keep all the players that have left is also highly speculative.

I actually feel that the biggest difference to us was King winning control of the board. If that hadn't happened, we'd still be languishing along in sub-standardsville. And the crowds will have been much lower, so credit has to go to board there as well.

Money will come from the board, eventually. I'm sure they're just sitting on their hands just now to see how things go and if the crowds are still coming by Christmas, you may see the bump in money that has been promised.

Has there been any painting or signs of refurbishment yet at the ground?

Warburton would still have got the job and we would be one step closer to getting back to the top. We would also have been able to attract a better standard of player to the club, more revenue from a higher league, more ST sales, just more of everything.

Not going up was a disaster for the club.

Nobody knows that for certain, if that was the case then yes obviously I would much prefered promotion, the other option of SM would of been a disaster to journey we are now taking.

Totally agree, McCall wasn't guaranteed the job, if we had gained promotion we would have had a bigger budget for players and probably Mr Warburton as manager, just the fact that we would have been back in the top league would have put the shit up the rest, we wouldn't have won it but we would have added to the competition which the league sadly lacks.

I think there two side to this:

Firstly it was a blow - no denying it - we were soundly beaten into 3rd place and then shown up in the playoffs. However, it may be that staying in the division will give MW time to organize and put his stamp on things that he may not otherwise have got had we been promoted.

I would rather we said "every cloud has a silver lining" rather than "things happen for a reason".