Lee Wallace Is Our Captain Fantastic - Barrie Mckay

LeeWallaceRFC

c305839ddfbb652a95c9bfdbad6beb25_XL.jpg

BARRIE MCKAY believes Lee Wallace has been a stand-out player, on and off the pitch, at the start of the Mark Warburton era at Rangers.

Wallace was the man-of the-match as his two goals and constant marauding runs helped the Light Blues win 3-1 against St Mirren in their first Championship fixture at Ibrox on Friday night.

But 20-year-old McKay believes his team-mate’s influence within the squad goes beyond the 90 minutes on a match day.

He explained: “Waldo was brilliant the other night, a real captain's performance, and for me to be able to play in front of him really helps me as well.

“He's got that experienced head and he is talking to me from the start to the end, right through the game.

"I'm still pretty young and learning the game really, so the fact he is - even in training - taking the time out to help me with what I need to improve on means a lot.

"He's brilliant, he's really came into the captaincy since the start of the season. He's talking to all the boys, he's getting us going and he's just taken to it really."

A remarkable crowd of 49,216 watched Rangers beat Ian Murray’s Buddies and McKay was pleased with his side's overall display on what was a special night at Ibrox Stadium.

Barrie said: "It was good. Obviously we've done what the managers asked of us, we've got the ball down and played.

"The atmosphere was amazing, with the fans and it was a sell-out, and we gave them something to cheer about.

“Obviously the first half I thought we were really good, but at the same time we need to start being more clinical in front of goal so it's out of sight really."

McKay featured on the left side of Warburton’s three-pronged attack against St Mirren and the 4-3-3 formation is a system the youngster is adapting to and enjoying playing in.

He added: "It's good and it suits me a lot better, the fact we are using the wide men a lot and we're staying high and basically just attacking teams.

"That obviously suits the attacking players, we’re able to stay up the pitch but you still need to remember your defensive duties as well.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9817-lees-our-captain-fantastic?

Why has our 51,082 full house capacity been reduced?

I know the segregation lowers it, but surely not to under 50,000??

Segregation has nothing to do with capacity, though.

The capacity is 50 947. There were some extreme restricted view seats empty as well as some hospitality ones and seats set aside for segregation for the St Mirren games. Hence the 49 216 crowd.

Segregation has nothing to do with capacity, though.

The capacity is 50 947. There were some extreme restricted view seats empty as well as some hospitality ones and seats set aside for segregation for the St Mirren games. Hence the 49 216 crowd.

Everything I can see says 51, 082

And if its a sellout then the restricted views were sold aswell?

I could be wrong, but did we not have 50, 000 crowds afew years ago?

Everything I can see says 51, 082

And if its a sellout then the restricted views were sold aswell?

I could be wrong, but did we not have 50, 000 crowds afew years ago?

Some of the restricted view seats weren't sold . Technically it wasn't a sellout, but it was as near as dammit, and it was a sellout in terms of non-hospitality that could realistically be sold.

We had 50 000 crowds, yes. Hospitality, people being more willing to buy restricted view seats, and smaller segregation back then would probably account for that. There were wee patches of restricted views in the Main that people obviously weren't interested in, and maybe would have been in the past. They had been on sale, and were still on sale till the point where the match was suddenly declared a sellout. I reckon we just said 'we still have demand for tickets, but people won't buy these restricted views, so we can reasonably call it a sellout'.

I think people are being a bit anal with the term 'sellout' (almost as anal as I'm being with this explanation!). Essentially, we sold all of the tickets that people didn't regard as not worth buying for a televised game.

I also don't know how they counted the declared attendance. Tickets sold or true attendance.

Some of the restricted view seats weren't sold . Technically it wasn't a sellout, but it was as near as dammit, and it was a sellout in terms of non-hospitality that could realistically be sold.

We had 50 000 crowds, yes. Hospitality, people being more willing to buy restricted view seats, and smaller segregation back then would probably account for that. There were wee patches of restricted views in the Main that people obviously weren't interested in, and maybe would have been in the past. They had been on sale, and were still on sale till the point where the match was suddenly declared a sellout. I reckon we just said 'we still have demand for tickets, but people won't buy these restricted views, so we can reasonably call it a sellout'.

I think people are being a bit anal with the term 'sellout' (almost as anal as I'm being with the explanation!). Essentially, we sold all of the tickets that people didn't regard as not worth buying for a televised game.

I also don't know how they counted the declared attendance. Tickets sold or true attendance.

Ok mate,I hope it's not coming across that I don't think the crowd was amazing

I just found it strange that we didn't have 50, 000 (prob me being a bit 'anal')

:D

Ok mate,I hope it's not coming across that I don't think the crowd was amazing

I just found it strange that we didn't have 50, 000 (prob me being a bit 'anal')

:D

Didn't come across that way at all mate. FWIW, I think if we had more good seats we could have sold many, many more tickets. Ah well. You can only piss with the cock you've got, I guess.

Anyway, nothing wrong with being anal from time to time.

As long as it's the good anal and not the bad anal. :moon:

If Wallace can continue in the same form as he showed on Friday night then I will buy a MW magic hat and gladly eat it along with humble pie. Really haven't been impressed in recent years but was excellent.

That performance was one of the best full back performances I've seen in a long long time.

Both he and Tav have the makings of sensational full backs for us this season.

Should have given you the job instead of Mark Warburton huh?

:P

Well boil my banger. It's only taken a thousand posts for you to come up with a decent suggestion!

Mind you, don't let it go to your head. I'd mibbee check the RM Fantasy Premier League table before passing the idea to our Board. May not be a decent idea after all. :(

I was one that didn't think we had a captain at the club before the season started - previously wallace wasn't vocal on the pitch at all, but i'm pleased that he seems to have stepped up and is leading by example and talking to people.

I guess it makes a difference when everyone knows their jobs on the pitch too