*** The Official Rangers V St. Johnstone Thread ***

WilliamFyfe

Defence was a bit exploited tonight. We weren't at our best, but I disagree with all the talk of us failing against better opposition. Every team can have an off night and we've not been at our best for a few games but the league is our main concern and I'm not gona panic over a cup game.

Not as distraught as I was at half time.

Second half bar the first minute we were easily the better team. We clearly need a few players but we will be fine so long as King backs the manager in the next 2 windows.

I reckon their sharpness caught us cold

We'll learn from it

St Johnstone had the night where everything came off for them. Our defending was ridiculous but they were unbelievably clinical. We completely dominated the ball but how dificult is it to break down a packed defence like that?! If they came out and played we would've scored a few. Defence fucked us tonight.

I made the point in another thread that we will need a Bougherra type centre half that has the pace to recover in order to be successful with this style of football.

No need to panic or be disheartened, this is part of the building process and this defeat will only improve Rangers.

Don't understand when people say they are not that fussed about losing in the LC. The league is a formality this year imo. A cup is the icing that I wanted. The only positive for me is that we now know there is much work to be done in order to win the premiership.

Mate we would all like a cup run but we got a wee lesson tonight. 2nd half apart from the blip was good. Onwards and upwards!

maybe we'll wake up a bit now.

of course i like us winning games and want that but some people were getting a bit too carried away thinking we could take on anyone. we still have a way to go before we can really take on premiership teams.

now warburton and the players will be seeing another side of the fans. what it really means to play for rangers. we are about winning. if you can't do that then you'll know all about it.

St Johnstone probably played the best they'll play all year as well.

We're not a million miles away, but tonight was a timely reality check.

We didn't look like the underdog Championship team, they were on he back foot most of the game but this team won't crack it in the PL.

We were the agents of our own downfall tonight, and were it not for such calamitous defending then we may well have had a different perspective on things; however there is another matter that must be considered. We have been far more ponderous and hesitant in attack of late, and have been since at least as far back as the hibs game at Ibrox; what has happened to the flair and tempo that characterised our early performances?

Still, it's early days yet, and Mark and Davie have the season ahead to organise, motivate and get the team ready for the challenges ahead.

Zelalem seems to slow play down whenever it's played through him and beaks the momentum.

Dare I say it Shiels or Law might be a better option if we

Are still playing they formation.

Need to stop with the slow possession football and up the pace...then we look dangerous

I agree there was not much running into space in the forward areas, hat being said there was no space.

I was ready for running in the pitch and drop kicking waghorn if he tried to take people on rather than cross it

The tims and glory hunters are getting themselves a run out tonight.

Bugger'em - they'll revel in it and pish themselves doing so, but I couldn't care less. It's a learning curve for us and a lot of these players are still young. While this wasn't fun to watch, sometimes you need these kinds of setbacks to build character and resolve.

1st goal. Wilson had the situation under control and coulda stopped ball coming in.

2nd goal. Basic defensive error.

3rd goal. Centre halfs split and undone. All basic.

Other than that the pressing game was good and we turned the ball over well. But at 2 and 3 down St Johnstone weren't fussed about giving it away.

Goals change games and we should have had a penalty early doors and we looked good.

It was actually just one of those nights where they got many more breaks than we did and it just didn't happen. Pish night for that to be the case.

Saying that, we've not been our usual selves for a while which is a little bit of a worry.

Similar to Dumbarton game....if the penalty was given and scored we woulda been on easy street. Losing 1st goal and then making basic defensive errors made it much harder going forward than it would otherwise have been.

My worry is more that the confidence suffers because we need to play without fear.