*** The Official Rangers V St. Johnstone Thread ***

WilliamFyfe

Just in and I'm totally disappointed. We can, and have, played far better than we did tonight.

Oduwa and Zalalem were very poor tonight.

Once again we needed to take chances on goal instead of strangling the ball and also, yet again, the referee was extremely poor!

Disappointing obviously but we'll bounce back, St Johnstone took advantage of our poor defending and we will need to learn from that. A solid holding midfielder, a speedier center back and a more natural striker is required for the Premiership but I am more confident in this teams ability than the Wage Thief's.

Theres a reason we haven't scored a header yet and it's not because of how fantastic we have been playing on the ground it's because we don't have a player that can fucking header on target.

We need players in January and summer end of

Was saying that all night.

Need to score headers. Won't get the chance to tap it in or score from 20 yards every game.

Games like tonight, getting crosses in and someone who can get on the end of it with his head could've made a difference.

We were absolutely awful all over the pitch tonight in my opinion.

The defence was a complete abomination. St Johnstone looked like scoring every single time they broke. Tore us to shreads.

Going forward it was all too predictable. Our passing was sloppy at times and we didn't test the goalkeeper.

Our team is too lightweight, we need a stronger leader in the middle of the pitch who can organise the defence and win the ball.

We lacked a plan B. We need to learn to adapt when we play against different sides.

The lesson being when you come up against better opposition, fall below the quality expected and we will be punished. This result will eeradicate these mistakes more than a game yo go on to win 3-0 6-2 etc.

Do you want me to come on all killie fan making an arse if myself? No. Its a lesson that will have a massive effect on us in a positive manner, of which I have no doubt.

And if it doesn't? Then we are not ready to compete at any level above our league. Which isn't correct imo, a blip, a glitch, that will be rectified.

We had the same lesson to learn after the St Midden game when we were cruising and poor defending made an easy game difficult. The Hivs game we were extremely lucky not to concede goals when their front line shit the bed and cost them the game. Hell even Dumbarton had a couple of really good chances at 0-0. You don't just learn lessons after a defeat, those problems have been there since the start of the season and we shouldn't still be getting caught out by recurring errors like simple balls over the top.

Just to be clear though I'm a Rangers fan and I support them regardless of how well the team does. I am very happy with how the team has progressed this season and I am very optimistic for the future. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't discuss teething problems in what is in effect a pretty new squad.

Just home from the game lads, thought the gaps in our team tonight were clearly obvious but haven't been exposed until now because of the standard of opposition

No natural striker to hit in the final third

No experienc im the middle of the park leading to being all over the place positionally and exposed

Two centre halves are two slow and obvious lack of communication and neither of them commanding

Oduwa and zelalem too lightweight, oduaw needing to know when the man is beat and the pass is on

Learning our frailties now can only be a good thing as it gives us time to work on it and strengthen to get ready for next season, that being said i would have liked to have still went through for a game against the rotten mob

We had the same lesson to learn after the St Midden game when we were cruising and poor defending made an easy game difficult. The Hivs game we were extremely lucky not to concede goals when their front line shit the bed and cost them the game. Hell even Dumbarton had a couple of really good chances at 0-0. You don't just learn lessons after a defeat, those problems have been there since the start of the season and we shouldn't still be getting caught out by recurring errors like simple balls over the top.

Just to be clear though I'm a Rangers fan and I support them regardless of how well the team does. I am very happy with how the team has progressed this season and I am very optimistic for the future. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't discuss teething problems in what is in effect a pretty new squad.

For ratification, could you please explain your username before we take this conversation any further.

Thanks

Was saying that all night.

Need to score headers. Won't get the chance to tap it in or score from 20 yards every game.

Games like tonight, getting crosses in and someone who can get on the end of it with his head could've made a difference.

Makes us a bit one dimensional, when we don't have the option to hang an occasional ball up to the far post.

Mind you, doesn't help when one of Zelalem's better contributions to the night was wasted as badly as Waghorn did with that header!

Ps. Balls over the top are a direct effect of a high defensive line, it has been said numerous times we will concede due to our style of play I don't understand why thats hard to fathom to some.

I'd say that's fine, but setting yourself up to concede is never fine.

It's kind of ok though, when you can out score the opposition.

When the music stops at the top end, then you have to take what's coming, I'm afraid.

Ps. Balls over the top are a direct effect of a high defensive line, it has been said numerous times we will concede due to our style of play I don't understand why thats hard to fathom to some.

One attacks the ball the other drops back whats hard to fathom about that. The one tonight Kiernan should have dropped back the moment it was obvious Wilson was attacking the high ball, especially with the context of Wilson being caught out in the same manner several times this season already.

Yes but you can't concede in the manner we did tonight and expect to win games.

Definitely not, agreed. 2nd goal was a shocker outwith it being a good strike. We 100% need to steady the ship at the back

(tu)

I think it's okay playing the way that we have been so far against weaker opposition, but we need to adapt when we come up against better teams who are capable of the exploiting our defence.

I think it would be beneficial to have more of a physical presence in the middle of the pitch who can defend, win balls in the air, drop back in between the centre halves and just generally be a ball winner in the middle of the pitch. I feel like our team is a bit too lightweight.

the defence was rotten tonight. they've been shaky all season and hopefully this the kick up the arse Wilson and Kiernan needed.

going forward we were dangerous but had an off night. Oduwa needs to work on his end product. tonight he insisted on trying to skin the same player three times and the crowd were getting noticeably frustrated.

the 3 centre mids also frustrated me tonight. they seemed reluctant to go forward and insisted on playing it out wide. St Johnstone picked up on this quite early on and doubled up on Wallace/Oduwa and Tav/Miller.

if the team are as hungry as Warburton says they are, they will want Sunday to come as quick as possible and will go out all guns blazing against Morton

I can't believe how indirect we were at times.....especially in the first half. What is it that's so difficult about having a shot.....taking a player on, getting into the box and rattling the fucker?

I lost count of the times we got the ball outside the box and went wide, or backwards. Waghorn was doing my tits in the way he stood wide right and did fuck all sometimes. Needed to come inside more.