Best Ever - Seen And Unseen

legalbeagle

Best ever is difficult because it is subjective, so I'll go with my favourites, who not have been the best.

My favourite changed with my age, starting with William Henderson, as a boy I dreamed of being that man.

As I got older I appreciated better the intricacies of midfield players and Dave Smith took hold of my attention.

Then there was the never say die Attitude of Tam Forsyth, ripping into tackles and getting the whole crowd fired up in an instant.

I've been privileged to see so many from vague memories of Henderson, through to Stein, DJ, Parlane, wee Alex, Cooper, Albertz, Mendez, and Mols.

Basically it's impossible to single anyone out, I can't comment on the players for the last 6 or 7 seasons, as no one comes close to being bracketed with the greats.

but I would have loved to have seen what Mols and Durrant would have achieved had they not been crudely injured.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laudrup is a great shout, but I think I'll always see mols as the best player I have seen play for us, some of the stuff he done was simply sblime.

As for one I have not seen, Sandy Jardine. He finished up at Rangers when I was a one year old.

Pretty sure I seen Jardine playing against us for Hearts but never in the light blue sadly.

Been thinking about which players I have most enjoyed watching over the years, but then also the ones that i used to hear my dad and brother talking about from days before I was born or going to the football, so, was wondering if people have one players that they are most grateful to have seen playing for us, for whatever reason, and one that they missed out on and wish they had seen.

The first is tough but I do have to eventually pick the Prince of Denmark, every game watching him felt like a privilege. However I am certainly grateful that I did get to see Davie Cooper in the flesh, although I can only really remember one time which was a reserve game against Clydebank, apparently I did see him a few other times.

In terms of the one I wished I had seen it probably has to be my dad's hero Slim Jim, only ever heard my dad raving about everything about him, and wish I could have experienced it.

i am 73 sp can go back a bit the best player i ever saw was de stefano was magnificent in the european final at hampden in 1960

for the gers it has be back jim baxter i will never forget the day at falkirk when we won 7 nil dave wilson scored 6 but baxter ran the show he was a wonderful footballer. in more modern times brian laudrup was worth paying to watch. i missed the cup final when we beat hearts 5 1 as i was at a wedding but watching repeats he was brilliant

but there has been so many i could go on and on

I think I was blessed to see Sandy Jardine play, I think he was/is underestimated in the amount of talent he had. He had a very very good first touch, read the game, skilful, athletic, eye for the pass or goal and carried himself with class. I would put him in the same top drawer quality class as Copper, Baxter and Laudrup, they just had different styles. Of all the Rangers players that I have seen Sandy Jardine is the benchmark that they need to be measured against and if you pass then you are good enough for Rangers. Unfortunately at present we do not have anyone in the squad who meets that quality, I just hope that MW finds another Jardine.

I think I was blessed to see Sandy Jardine play, I think he was/is underestimated in the amount of talent he had. He had a very very good first touch, read the game, skilful, athletic, eye for the pass or goal and carried himself with class. I would put him in the same top drawer quality class as Copper, Baxter and Laudrup, they just had different styles. Of all the Rangers players that I have seen Sandy Jardine is the benchmark that they need to be measured against and if you pass then you are good enough for Rangers. Unfortunately at present we do not have anyone in the squad who meets that quality, I just hope that MW finds another Jardine.

Sandy Jardine was a world class player and would be perfect for Mr Warburtons system.

Laudrup for me. Thinking back, getting to watch him every week as a teenager was just mind blowing, had no idea how lucky I was.

Unseen would have to be Cooper, although my dad saw both and still picks Laudrup.

Baxter, Caldow, Henderson, Miller &Brand, then it would be Davie Smith (what a left foot) Sandy, Stein, wee Doddy, Coops to Gaza, Laudraup, in fact we didn't have too many numpties, they have all gave me pleasure through the years, and hopefully more years to come (tu)

At times I have to pinch myself as i remember all the greats that I have seen play for us, such as Caldow, Smith, Jardine, Cooper, (hate missing out anyone) up to the present, and of them all, the one who will always stand out for me will be the late great Slim Jim Baxter.

No other will come close to him, although Laudrup in my estimation must be the closest to this all time hero of mine.

Older players we have been blessed with that I wished I had seen would be Symon,Thornton, Mieklejohn and Woodburn (for all his faults) and the likes of English, Gillick, Morton and Waddell ...... But I could go on forever all the way back to 1872 and back before I would really be satisfied I had seen all the greats who have served our great Club.

But thanks to the OP for starting a decent thread, that has all the relevance required for springing great memories to the fore.

The Rangers will forever be associated with greatness and great players, and as said above ....... I also can't wait for the next great to appear and give us more wonderful memories.

:uk:

At times I have to pinch myself as i remember all the greats that I have seen play for us, such as Caldow, Smith, Jardine, Cooper, (hate missing out anyone) up to the present, and of them all, the one who will always stand out for me will be the late great Slim Jim Baxter.

No other will come close to him, although Laudrup in my estimation must be the closest to this all time hero of mine.

Older players we have been blessed with that I wished I had seen would be Symon,Thornton, Mieklejohn and Woodburn (for all his faults) and the likes of English, Gillick, Morton and Waddell ...... But I could go on forever all the way back to 1872 and back before I would really be satisfied I had seen all the greats who have served our great Club.

But thanks to the OP for starting a decent thread, that has all the relevance required for springing great memories to the fore.

The Rangers will forever be associated with greatness and great players, and as said above ....... I also can't wait for the next great to appear and give us more wonderful memories.

Good picks (tu)

And you're right a nice thread. Nothing like looking back on fond memories , although pretty sure the OP is just trying to suss oot all the auld yins :D

I saw pretty much every team since I was born, can remember stuff from about 1991-1992. The greatest player that has played for us in that time is the most obvious, Laudrup. Gasgoigne a close second.

I'd probably choose Souness or Cooper as the players I'd have loved to have seen going by what I was told by my maw or da. Or even Chris Woods, since I'm named after the great man himself, that's an idea for another thread.

Baxter, Caldow, Henderson, Miller &Brand, then it would be Davie Smith (what a left foot) Sandy, Stein, wee Doddy, Coops to Gaza, Laudraup, in fact we didn't have too many numpties, they have all gave me pleasure through the years, and hopefully more years to come (tu)

Loved Dave Smith. Always thought he was so underrated , even when he won the Player of the Year award in 72.

Quite a good interview here with him. A few years old so you may have read it.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/cup-winners-hero-dave-smith-on-rangers-demise-and-lower-league-future-1-2424866

I go back to the very early sixties so would like to pay homage to a couple of players I loved watching. Jimmy Millar and Davie Wilson. Jimmy Millar from halfback to brilliant centre forward was a joy to have in the team and broke "their" hearts on many an occasion. Davie Wilson, what a left winger he was. Didn't get full credit cause we also had Willie Henderson at the time and he was mercurial. Memories. And how could I not mention Willie Johnston. The most direct winger ever. Kicked the ball in front of him and ran like the wind. Brilliant. I've got the most wonderful story about Davie Wilson but for another thread. WATP.

I go back to the very early sixties so would like to pay homage to a couple of players I loved watching. Jimmy Millar and Davie Wilson. Jimmy Millar from halfback to brilliant centre forward was a joy to have in the team and broke "their" hearts on many an occasion. Davie Wilson, what a left winger he was. Didn't get full credit cause we also had Willie Henderson at the time and he was mercurial. Memories. And how could I not mention Willie Johnston. The most direct winger ever. Kicked the ball in front of him and ran like the wind. Brilliant. I've got the most wonderful story about Davie Wilson but for another thread. WATP.

:lol:

You have proved my belief ..... as I said I hate to miss out anyone of our players who for some reason or another we unfairly tend to "sideline" for another.

Probably for another thread but .... one of the best forward lines I had the pleasure of seeing would include some of your favourites.

Henderson ..... McMillan ..... Millar ..... Brand (who could forget Ralph) ...... Wilson.

Great memories from that line up as you no doubt know mate.

Best seen Jim Baxter :) But was just too young to remember it well. :anguish: So the best I remember seeing would be Gascoigne. Like Baxter he had the class and that bit of arrogance that the very top players have.

Unseen ? The Wee Blue Devil, Alan Morton is the one who intrigues me most. Like Baxter he helped destroy England at Wembley and was one of the original legends in club and international football at a time when we were probably one of the top two teams in the world.

Laudrup, easily. Gazza was great, but Laudrup was more exciting.

Walters was good, and by the time I saw Cooper, he was just getting past his best. Maybe saw a season of him in his pomp in 86-87.

De Boer deserves a mention, so do the likes of Mols and Prso, for entertainment value. Coisty and Goram for excelling in their fields. Gough for being our glorious leader. There'll be loads more too.

But yeah, defo Laudrup. Wish I'd seen Baxter.