Best Ever - Seen And Unseen

legalbeagle

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

You have proved my belief ..... as I said I hate to miss out anyone of our players who for some reason or another we unfairly tend to "sideline" for another.

Probably for another thread but .... one of the best forward lines I had the pleasure of seeing would include some of your favourites.

Henderson ..... McMillan ..... Millar ..... Brand (who could forget Ralph) ...... Wilson.

Great memories from that line up as you no doubt know mate.

:uk:

some great memories. Correct me if I,m wrong but Jimmy Millar spent most of his career as a very very good battling midfielder. It was only in his later years he was pushed forward to a centre forward role( not striker in these days). He absolutely excelled in the role. As you say, with Ralphy Brand we were great.

some great memories. Correct me if I,m wrong but Jimmy Millar spent most of his career as a very very good battling midfielder. It was only in his later years he was pushed forward to a centre forward role( not striker in these days). He absolutely excelled in the role. As you say, with Ralphy Brand we were great.

Correct he used to be a half back in his early days at Ibrox, and he was signed as one from Dunfermline in the 50's.

Correct he used to be a half back in his early days at Ibrox, and he was signed as one from Dunfermline in the 50's.

jimy millar started as no9 o9n a tour to denmark 1959 i think because max murray didnt go . my first tea dawson gray shaw watkins young symon waddel gillick smith venters caskie because of the age i was i can say t5hat was myy first game but wthin 2 year 6 had gone mccall woodburn cox brown duncanson and thornton moved in

Laudrup was my hero. He was unplayable. The scoop over Leighton from the touchline. The Hearts final. Goals against them skinning teams from the halfway line. Countless runs, turns and beautiful goals to remember and then a header of all things to secure 9 in a row. Having seen Laudrup I can't complain about the ones I never saw.

jimy millar started as no9 o9n a tour to denmark 1959 i think because max murray didnt go . my first tea dawson gray shaw watkins young symon waddel gillick smith venters caskie because of the age i was i can say t5hat was myy first game but wthin 2 year 6 had gone mccall woodburn cox brown duncanson and thornton moved in

(tu)

Yes you are correct, he was playing half back even centre half, or inside left for us for years before he eventually slotted into the centre forward position as he signed for us in 1955, and the 1959 Denmark tour was his chance as Max Murray was injured at the time, we won 4-0 and Jimmy got the lot, what a break, and this proved to be yet another great signing by Scot Symon.

Thanks for that mate as it confirms his earlier playing position, all the above is mostly from my Dad and Uncles telling me we had another great scorer on the way, and reading what I could find.

I'm slightly too young to remember having seen him in his other positions for us, but clearly remember having had the pleasure to see him in his now famous centre forward position, but knew he was once a half back.

He was one of my favourites, and I was sad to see him eventually replaced by Forrest (But not that sad when Forrest started to bang them in regular) as you don't really want your favourites to leave the side, and think they should be there for ever and a day .... even now in my advanced years, I hate the fact when a great player has to leave us, some things never change ..... :lol:

For a relatively small man (5'6") for a centre forward, he was one of the best climbers and header of a ball we have ever had, and boy could he find the back of the net, not to mention the lay-offs to his scoring partner Ralph Brand ..... if only we had him for Monday's game, I would be delighted.

Have had the privilege to see many, many magnificent players over the years, both in the Rangers blue & other colours too. My old man is 85 & I'm 47 now, the first Rangers game he took me to was Man Utd v Rangers friendly in 1974 (we won 4-2 I think) strangely enough we were at the Rangers v Man Utd friendly in 1990/91 where a big long haired fella called hateley had just signed.

From John Greig to Davie Cooper, Brian Laudrup, Gazza, Hateley & McCoist, Butcher, Gough & Roberts, Goram, Klos & McCloy - I can only thank my father for taking me to games as a nipper & instilling a love for the beautiful game.

He took me to Wembley 77, Anfield 78 to see the great Scotland team of the late 70's (still got the programmes btw). He was lucky enough to see Rangers v Moscow Dynamo in 1945 when he was a lad of 15 as well.

I miss going to the games with him now due to his old age & ill health, but I'll always cherish the memories of great times with him watching great players, wether it be in the Light Blue of Rangers, the Dark Blue of Scotland or even the Tangerine of Blackpool (that's where we lived in the 70's!)

Anyway, typing this has got me all misty eyed & emotional tonight, must be the time of year...

Happy Christmas fellow bears!

WATP

(tu)

Yes you are correct, he was playing half back even centre half, or inside left for us for years before he eventually slotted into the centre forward position as he signed for us in 1955, and the 1959 Denmark tour was his chance as Max Murray was injured at the time, we won 4-0 and Jimmy got the lot, what a break, and this proved to be yet another great signing by Scot Symon.

Thanks for that mate as it confirms his earlier playing position, all the above is mostly from my Dad and Uncles telling me we had another great scorer on the way, and reading what I could find.

I'm slightly too young to remember having seen him in his other positions for us, but clearly remember having had the pleasure to see him in his now famous centre forward position, but knew he was once a half back.

He was one of my favourites, and I was sad to see him eventually replaced by Forrest (But not that sad when Forrest started to bang them in regular) as you don't really want your favourites to leave the side, and think they should be there for ever and a day .... even now in my advanced years, I hate the fact when a great player has to leave us, some things never change ..... :lol:

For a relatively small man (5'6") for a centre forward, he was one of the best climbers and header of a ball we have ever had, and boy could he find the back of the net, not to mention the lay-offs to his scoring partner Ralph Brand ..... if only we had him for Monday's game, I would be delighted.

The sad thing is that, because Miller was such a success, Rangers tried it again and again. George McLean, John Greig etc. They had a fixation about turning half-backs into forwards. Never really worked again.

Laudrup, easily. Gazza was great, but Laudrup was more exciting.

Walters was good, and by the time I saw Cooper, he was just getting past his best. Maybe saw a season of him in his pomp in 86-87.

De Boer deserves a mention, so do the likes of Mols and Prso, for entertainment value. Coisty and Goram for excelling in their fields. Gough for being our glorious leader. There'll be loads more too.

But yeah, defo Laudrup. Wish I'd seen Baxter.

Good picks .

On a personal level , I felt 86-87 was Davie Coopers best season . He always had the skills but I felt in that season he was most consistent I'd seen him .

The sad thing is that, because Miller was such a success, Rangers tried it again and again. George McLean, John Greig etc. They had a fixation about turning half-backs into forwards. Never really worked again.

Very true ....... not forgetting the biggest mistake of them all Corky ....... by none other than Mr Symon himself (albeit unfairly, his hand forced by the board after Berwick) playing Roger Hynd at centre forward in the 1967 CWC final ..... valiant as he was that night, he was nevertheless a square peg in a round hole ...... the uncertainties of the game, as in this instance, being the undoing of an otherwise brilliant European Cup Winners Cup run.

Laudrup and Gazza for me

And although hes not a player I love Big Jock Wallace and would have loved to see his team or just have met the man. If it has to be a player then either Baxter or Willie Thornton or Willie Woodburn

Big Ben was a Goliath in a team who were *Giants* of the game (maybe not is size but in stature) and I remember seeing him play even although I was a young boy at the time. The one I would have loved to see was Jimmy Smith who had the phenomenal record of scoring 249 goals in 259 appearances. Another one of many Airdrie men who starred for us.

Remember as a kid seeing Kuznetsov strolling through his debut for us and thinking he was the best defender I'd ever seen, made everything look so effortless. Saw Coops plenty but wish I remembered them better so kinda class him as my unseen.

Very true ....... not forgetting the biggest mistake of them all Corky ....... by none other than Mr Symon himself (albeit unfairly, his hand forced by the board after Berwick) playing Roger Hynd at centre forward in the 1967 CWC final ..... valiant as he was that night, he was nevertheless a square peg in a round hole ...... the uncertainties of the game, as in this instance, being the undoing of an otherwise brilliant European Cup Winners Cup run.

That decision cost us the trophy,Thanks to John Lawrence :anguish: BTW mate! Did you know that Bill Shankly was the Uncle of Roger Hynd? :pipe:

That decision cost us the trophy,Thanks to John Lawrence :anguish: BTW mate! Did you know that Bill Shankly was the Uncle of Roger Hynd? :pipe:

It certainly did OZ ...... and I never knew that Shankly was Big Roger's uncle, that comes as quite a surprise as they are physical opposites ...... a bit like Danny De Vito and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie "Twins"....... a true story i am informed .... :lol:

It certainly did OZ ...... and I never knew that Shankly was Big Roger's uncle, that comes as quite a surprise as they are physical opposites ...... a bit like Danny De Vito and Arnold Schwarzenegger in the movie "Twins"....... a true story i am informed .... :lol:

I don't think Shanks would be chuffed being compared to DDV :D but then again I'm sure he wouldn't have minded the money DDV made in his career.

Great topic BL.

I suppose it depends on where you joined this great journey of being a Rangers man. Seen some great players and also some I never had the pleasure of seeing gracing the famous Ibrox turf.

Hubbard, Morton, Young, Waddell to name few.

The players who took us to 9iar will always be remembered and rightly so as men who had the grit, skill and determination to take us to a different level.

However, I have to confess, as a lifelong Ranger, I have been blessed with witnessing the great team of the early 1960's.

Billy Ritchie. Great keeper. Seen him play in sunshine with his cloth bunnet on. Two steps and then his two feet left the ground as he launched a left footer upfield. Class.

Bobby Shearer. Captain Cutlass. Legs like a snooker table. Thou shall not pass.

Eric Caldow. A sublime left back. Not many, if any, right wingers got the better of him. Class.

John Greig. Say no more.

Ronnie McInnon. Legs like a giraffe. Always in charge and always suntanned.!!! Brilliant.

Baxter. Nothing more to be said.

Henderson. A wizard. Created countless goals for us. Watching him, I don't even think he knew what he was going to do next with the ball. Sublime, and raised the crowd every time he got the ball.

Ian McMillan. Genius. He would be worth countless fuckin millions if he played today. Total footballer who could read a game. Only tiny in stature but I can't remember him being troubled or bossed in a game.

Jimmy Millar. Well. He knew where the goal was. And as header of a ball was second to none. I once saw him at Ibrox trap the ball with his arse..no shit. Ritchie fucked the ball skywards and Jimmy let it bounce once then trapped it with his arse. Goal scorer supreme.

Ralph Brand. Great wee player. Scored so many crucial goals for us. He was my idol growing up and watching him play. No 10. Half a chance and he buries it.

Davies Wilson. Wee flyer. He could put a cross on a fuckin hot cross bun from the left wing. Seen him provide so many goals for Brand and Miller

So to all you young Bears. We all have our best. I've seen mine, and I am absolutely sure that we will have our heroes for the future.

WATP

Only wish I had been old enough to experience the wonder of John Greig though.

ok, you're playing inside left and you're just coming over the half way line with the ba' and big John's playin' right half and is heading towards you.

wait a minute ...

to get a better idea, imagine yourself standin' on the road on Sauchiehall st., facing traffic.

now you see that double decker coming at you?

that's big John.

I've been lucky enough to have seen lots of great players at Ibrox in my time.

Baxter, Jardine, Greig, W Johnston, Cooper, Laudrup, Gazza, Albertz, McCoist, etc etc.

My grandad used to rave on about the Wee Blue Devil, Alan Morton, I don't know what he was like, but my grandad always said that he was the best player he had ever seen, therefore if Alan Morton is good enough for my gramps to rave on about, then he's the one I'd love to have seen playing.

Big Ben was a Goliath in a team who were *Giants* of the game (maybe not is size but in stature) and I remember seeing him play even although I was a young boy at the time. The one I would have loved to see was Jimmy Smith who had the phenomenal record of scoring 249 goals in 259 appearances. Another one of many Airdrie men who starred for us.

Fuck you :pipe:

Great topic BL.

I suppose it depends on where you joined this great journey of being a Rangers man. Seen some great players and also some I never had the pleasure of seeing gracing the famous Ibrox turf.

Hubbard, Morton, Young, Waddell to name few.

The players who took us to 9iar will always be remembered and rightly so as men who had the grit, skill and determination to take us to a different level.

However, I have to confess, as a lifelong Ranger, I have been blessed with witnessing the great team of the early 1960's.

Billy Ritchie. Great keeper. Seen him play in sunshine with his cloth bunnet on. Two steps and then his two feet left the ground as he launched a left footer upfield. Class.

Bobby Shearer. Captain Cutlass. Legs like a snooker table. Thou shall not pass.

Eric Caldow. A sublime left back. Not many, if any, right wingers got the better of him. Class.

John Greig. Say no more.

Ronnie McInnon. Legs like a giraffe. Always in charge and always suntanned.!!! Brilliant.

Baxter. Nothing more to be said.

Henderson. A wizard. Created countless goals for us. Watching him, I don't even think he knew what he was going to do next with the ball. Sublime, and raised the crowd every time he got the ball.

Ian McMillan. Genius. He would be worth countless fuckin millions if he played today. Total footballer who could read a game. Only tiny in stature but I can't remember him being troubled or bossed in a game.

Jimmy Millar. Well. He knew where the goal was. And as header of a ball was second to none. I once saw him at Ibrox trap the ball with his arse..no shit. Ritchie fucked the ball skywards and Jimmy let it bounce once then trapped it with his arse. Goal scorer supreme.

Ralph Brand. Great wee player. Scored so many crucial goals for us. He was my idol growing up and watching him play. No 10. Half a chance and he buries it.

Davies Wilson. Wee flyer. He could put a cross on a fuckin hot cross bun from the left wing. Seen him provide so many goals for Brand and Miller

So to all you young Bears. We all have our best. I've seen mine, and I am absolutely sure that we will have our heroes for the future.

WATP

And you.

It is unfair that you both have the memories of the great days gone by the Baxters, Coopers etc and aren't forced to share them with us younger Bears