Best Ever - Seen And Unseen

legalbeagle

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic BL.

I suppose it depends on where you joined this great journey of being a Rangers man. Seen some great players and also some I never had the pleasure of seeing gracing the famous Ibrox turf.

Hubbard, Morton, Young, Waddell to name few.

The players who took us to 9iar will always be remembered and rightly so as men who had the grit, skill and determination to take us to a different level.

However, I have to confess, as a lifelong Ranger, I have been blessed with witnessing the great team of the early 1960's.

Billy Ritchie. Great keeper. Seen him play in sunshine with his cloth bunnet on. Two steps and then his two feet left the ground as he launched a left footer upfield. Class.

Bobby Shearer. Captain Cutlass. Legs like a snooker table. Thou shall not pass.

Eric Caldow. A sublime left back. Not many, if any, right wingers got the better of him. Class.

John Greig. Say no more.

Ronnie McInnon. Legs like a giraffe. Always in charge and always suntanned.!!! Brilliant.

Baxter. Nothing more to be said.

Henderson. A wizard. Created countless goals for us. Watching him, I don't even think he knew what he was going to do next with the ball. Sublime, and raised the crowd every time he got the ball.

Ian McMillan. Genius. He would be worth countless fuckin millions if he played today. Total footballer who could read a game. Only tiny in stature but I can't remember him being troubled or bossed in a game.

Jimmy Millar. Well. He knew where the goal was. And as header of a ball was second to none. I once saw him at Ibrox trap the ball with his arse..no shit. Ritchie fucked the ball skywards and Jimmy let it bounce once then trapped it with his arse. Goal scorer supreme.

Ralph Brand. Great wee player. Scored so many crucial goals for us. He was my idol growing up and watching him play. No 10. Half a chance and he buries it.

Davies Wilson. Wee flyer. He could put a cross on a fuckin hot cross bun from the left wing. Seen him provide so many goals for Brand and Miller

So to all you young Bears. We all have our best. I've seen mine, and I am absolutely sure that we will have our heroes for the future.

WATP

Great post mate ....... I was at Ibrox the same time you talk about, when Jimmy Millar trapped the ball with his arse ...... it was near the centre line in front of the old enclosure, and was when they used to have the trials between the first team and the reserve team at the stadium.

It was well received by all, and raised a few laughs, I had a wee smile on my face when you brought that one back to my memory, cheers mate.

:uk:

Best I have seen live were Baxter Forrest, Stein from the 6-0`s Derek Johnstone Willie Johnston from the 70`s no one from the 80`s stands out Laudrup Gough Gasgoine McCoist from the 90`s

No real standouts since then.

I also had the privelage to witness the greatest team in Ritchie , Shearer, Caldow etc around 63/64. As a seven year old, I really didn't know much about how great they were, but I do remember shiting myself as I was crushed in departing the old west terracing after the final whistle. Literally carried down the stairwell I remember even being feart of going to games because of that.

John Grieg later became my favourite player. The genious of Baxter and the trickery of Willie Henderson. Have witnessed some greats. We were known accross the planet and were to be feared. Nowadays, I would say that is now well lost, such is the state of our game here in this backwater.

I remember the dark days when John Grieg was our manager and then the Souness revolution. Woods, Butcher, Roberts and the like. Used to wet myself at the thought of going to watch them and demolish the scum. Then Lauders, the Hammer, Hateley, Gazza. A real wet dream. TBH, could never take to MCoist, despite him scoring many. Thought him average and missed plenty with such great on field support that surrounded him. Probably just jealous that all the wummen just fuckin loved him and would eat his shite! It was the first time I think that I noticed the upsurge in women watching the team and all you would hear from them was his name. Oh isn't he just wonderful. When what they really meant is, I would just love to shag him! I distinctly remember my mates Mrs constantly givin it large about him. I would have sacked her!

When you look back through the 60's to the 80's there were some great home grown talent accross Scotland. Then the big upsurge in foreign talent through the 90's, but sadly we will never see the likes again. Sad, but at least I've witnessed some the greatest Ranger's ever to pull on the jersey.

Our only hope now is bringing in modern thinking managers like MW, bringing out the best of he limited talent that we now have and playing a system that allows us to compete and entertain.

So unless an Abramo type looks north, we have to learn to walk again first, but I'm sure the glory and success will eventually return, where others outwith our borders look on again in fear.

You lived though our European finals, some great players and teams and i honestly don't think i could be more jealous

There have been a lot of heartaches during those years both in Domestic and European football, but I have to say that the highs have far outweighed the lows since I first walked into Ibrox circa 1953 and I've had the great pleasure of knowing or meeting many of the great Rangers players in my lifetime, even if at the time they were just normal football players who happened to know my family.

Times have certainly changed both on and off the park and we don't know what the future holds, but there will always be the Rangers to support.

There have been a lot of heartaches during those years both in Domestic and European football, but I have to say that the highs have far outweighed the lows since I first walked into Ibrox circa 1953 and I've had the great pleasure of knowing or meeting many of the great Rangers players in my lifetime, even if at the time they were just normal football players who happened to know my family.

Times have certainly changed both on and off the park and we don't know what the future holds, but there will always be the rangers to support.

That's it mate even at my age there is much more highs than lows but for the coming generation that wont be the case for a while but we have turned the corner.

I also had the privelage to witness the greatest team in Ritchie , Shearer, Caldow etc around 63/64. As a seven year old, I really didn't know much about how great they were, but I do remember shiting myself as I was crushed in departing the old west terracing after the final whistle. Literally carried down the stairwell I remember even being feart of going to games because of that.

John Grieg later became my favourite player. The genious of Baxter and the trickery of Willie Henderson. Have witnessed some greats. We were known accross the planet and were to be feared. Nowadays, I would say that is now well lost, such is the state of our game here in this backwater.

I remember the dark days when John Grieg was our manager and then the Souness revolution. Woods, Butcher, Roberts and the like. Used to wet myself at the thought of going to watch them and demolish the scum. Then Lauders, the Hammer, Hateley, Gazza. A real wet dream. TBH, could never take to MCoist, despite him scoring many. Thought him average and missed plenty with such great on field support that surrounded him. Probably just jealous that all the wummen just fuckin loved him and would eat his shite! It was the first time I think that I noticed the upsurge in women watching the team and all you would hear from them was his name. Oh isn't he just wonderful. When what they really meant is, I would just love to shag him! I distinctly remember my mates Mrs constantly givin it large about him. I would have sacked her!

When you look back through the 60's to the 80's there were some great home grown talent accross Scotland. Then the big upsurge in foreign talent through the 90's, but sadly we will never see the likes again. Sad, but at least I've witnessed some the greatest Ranger's ever to pull on the jersey.

Our only hope now is bringing in modern thinking managers like MW, bringing out the best of he limited talent that we now have and playing a system that allows us to compete and entertain.

So unless an Abramo type looks north, we have to learn to walk again first, but I'm sure the glory and success will eventually return, where others outwith our borders look on again in fear.

You must be the same age as me. The way I look at it I have so many memories that far outweigh our recent troubles. I live in hope we get back there sooner rather than later.

That's it mate even at my age there is much more highs than lows but for the coming generation that wont be the case for a while but we have turned the corner.

I agree the younger supporters will have to be patient if they are to see the class of player at Ibrox that we have been used to over the past years, but things certainly seem rosier now than they have been for the past 4-5 years and we now seem to be heading in the right direction with a plan to bring Rangers into the 21st century where we have the best chance of having access to a coaching/youth system that can make our club sustainable in the current financial climate.