Captain Of Rangers

I was wondering how important the captaincy really is today?

Does it still hold the same importance on and off the park as it used to?

Would captains like Grieg,Gough,Amouruso and Weir make us a better team today purely in their abilities as captains and their influence on the team?

I think Lee Wallace does a good job as a Rangers captain off the park but he doesn't seem to have the same influence or authority as the captains of the past.

Thoughts?

In a few short years Wallace has experienced the highs (THAT goal) and the lows of Rangers, so he's ideally placed to be our captain at the moment.

I'd not be adverse to that changing in the future if we signed an established captain who's seen it, done it all already at European level, but Wallace will do nicely for now.

My idea of a captain is someone who can grab the game by the scruff of the neck and change it when things are not going according to plan.

I'm a bit old fashioned in that sense and my idea of a captain was one who lead from the front and kick backsides on the park when things were going wrong but in fairness to Lee Wallace maybe the style of football and management gives him less scope to be one of those captains.

I'm a bit old fashioned in that sense and my idea of a captain was one who lead from the front and kick backsides on the park when things were going wrong but in fairness to Lee Wallace maybe the style of football and management gives him less scope to be one of those captains.

Like Albear85 says it's less of an issue in a patient, free-flowing side, but on days where it's just not happening you want someone who'll take responsibility and get the crowd going; big Amo was good for that at times.

Tbh the way football is atm I think a captain has become abit less influential in the modern game. You always have a preferred choice who you want to wear the armband based on how long they've been with the club, ability etc. But a gough or weir imo would struggle in today's football

Captaincy is becoming antiquated and more of an honoury position in modern football.

Yeah it is important to have the right guy as captain - Indeed selecting the wrong guy would be damaging to a team. However the games so professional now, having a great captain makes very little difference - as long as you have selected the right guy.

I believe the attributes in attitude, discipline and desire, are key in the modern game.

Paul Le Guen Likes this.

I like Wallace as captain, he's never a Weir, a Gough or a Butcher type captain, but just watch his emotion when we lift a trophy worth talking about for the first time since he signed for the club.

The way Wallace conducts himself on and off the pitch is nothing short of the standards and traditions Rangers and MW has. I think it suits him perfectly and he has become a lot more vocal with the armband.

I particularly liked when he urged the team to keep going when we were 4-0 up against Alloa, the same when we scored our 5th at Dumbarton he took the ball and put it back on the penalty spot. He always leads from the front.

The Captain of The Rangers has always been an honour.. one not to be given lightly. This is The Rangers we're talking about. The Captain must have Struth-like qualities and act with honour on and off the pitch. (tu)

It's as important now as it has ever been. It's more than just about being Captain of a football team.