Officials Stand by red card decision

Big Al 55

Rangers manager Mark Warburton says officials told him Andy Halliday was sent off during his team's win over Greenock Morton because his gesture "could incite a riot".

Midfielder Halliday was shown a second yellow card after celebrating Barrie McKay's goal at Cappielow as Rangers ran out 2-0 winners to retain their five point lead at the top of the table.

Warburton expressed his frustration at referee Barry Cook's decision and will ask the Scottish FA for clarification as he remains unsatisfied by match officials' explanation over the call.

He told Rangers TV: "The explanation was that Andy made a gesture that could incite a riot or trouble with the Morton fans.

"I think that if a player runs up to a set of fans and makes a gesture in front of them in an intimidating manner, then I understand absolutely as the last thing anyone wants to see is any fan trouble or anyone hurt.

"It’s in the middle of the pitch and he’s walking back in front of the Rangers fans.

"I will aim to seek some clarity and an explanation, but I think everyone in football knows that if we start to go down that route in football then we would be booking and sending players off every time there is a game played."

FIFA's Laws of the Game explain how referees are expected to interpret players' action under a section titled "Celebration of a goal".

It reads: "While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

"Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

"A player must be cautioned if:

• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory

• he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored

• he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt

• he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

"Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal."

Halliday will miss Saturday's clash with fellow title rivals Falkirk and the Rangers boss isn't holding out hope over a change in the way situations are handled.

He added: "For me, Andy Halliday was guilty of celebrating a goal. It is a tough place to go, against a good opponent, with a good manager where it’s tough to get a victory and any team would find it hard to get the victory.

"We get the very important second goal and he celebrates in the middle of the pitch and to get a second yellow card for that is beyond belief.

"It brings into question any player bringing their finger to their lips, or running down the side of the touchline.

"I’m thinking back to the time that Adebayor ran something like eighty or ninety yards to the fans. I can understand that, but the other night is a baffling decision and we will lose a player due to it as there is no appeals process.

"We will lose an important player in an important game in front of a packed Ibrox and we have got to look and ask ourselves is that right. I just find the whole process and decision frustrating beyond belief.

"I watched the game when I got home on TV and you see them talking about the goal, talking about the great finish and the one-two then you see Andy Halliday looking bemused.

"He can’t work out what has gone on. Look at our bench, we get no dialogue and that’s not a good enough process.

"Look at the core point, a player has been awarded a second yellow, been booked, for celebrating a goal. I understand that if your shirt comes off you are booked, he literally raised his hand in a clenched fist in terms of saying “we’ve scored a second goal”, a big goal in front of the fans.

"I will wait to hear an explanation, but it will just be the normal."

--

absolute wankers, the fact the footballing world is laughing at them doesn't even make them hide it.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We should demand a meeting with the SFA.

Falkirk got a penalty that never was a yard at least outside the box, then a man sent off against Hibs now this? None of these decisions were even close yet we are always on the receiving end.

Im sorry but I hate using the word cheats but it cost us 2 points in the Falkirk game and could have cost us dearly in the other two.

Since Lennon and Celtic took them on they have shat it, they shite it to them off the park also, and seem To look over incidents week after week involving them, yet we get hauled over the coals just for being Rangers.

Only one way to put this to bed and take the SFA head on as they will keep us down till we do. 

14 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Rangers manager Mark Warburton says officials told him Andy Halliday was sent off during his team's win over Greenock Morton because his gesture "could incite a riot".

Midfielder Halliday was shown a second yellow card after celebrating Barrie McKay's goal at Cappielow as Rangers ran out 2-0 winners to retain their five point lead at the top of the table.

Warburton expressed his frustration at referee Barry Cook's decision and will ask the Scottish FA for clarification as he remains unsatisfied by match officials' explanation over the call.

He told Rangers TV: "The explanation was that Andy made a gesture that could incite a riot or trouble with the Morton fans.

"I think that if a player runs up to a set of fans and makes a gesture in front of them in an intimidating manner, then I understand absolutely as the last thing anyone wants to see is any fan trouble or anyone hurt.

"It’s in the middle of the pitch and he’s walking back in front of the Rangers fans.

"I will aim to seek some clarity and an explanation, but I think everyone in football knows that if we start to go down that route in football then we would be booking and sending players off every time there is a game played."

FIFA's Laws of the Game explain how referees are expected to interpret players' action under a section titled "Celebration of a goal".

It reads: "While it is permissible for a player to demonstrate his joy when a goal has been scored, the celebration must not be excessive.

"Reasonable celebrations are allowed, but the practice of choreographed celebrations is not to be encouraged when it results in excessive time-wasting and referees are instructed to intervene in such cases.

"A player must be cautioned if:

• in the opinion of the referee, he makes gestures which are provocative, derisory or inflammatory

• he climbs on to a perimeter fence to celebrate a goal being scored

• he removes his shirt or covers his head with his shirt

• he covers his head or face with a mask or other similar item

"Referees are expected to act in a preventative manner and to exercise common sense in dealing with the celebration of a goal."

Halliday will miss Saturday's clash with fellow title rivals Falkirk and the Rangers boss isn't holding out hope over a change in the way situations are handled.

He added: "For me, Andy Halliday was guilty of celebrating a goal. It is a tough place to go, against a good opponent, with a good manager where it’s tough to get a victory and any team would find it hard to get the victory.

"We get the very important second goal and he celebrates in the middle of the pitch and to get a second yellow card for that is beyond belief.

"It brings into question any player bringing their finger to their lips, or running down the side of the touchline.

"I’m thinking back to the time that Adebayor ran something like eighty or ninety yards to the fans. I can understand that, but the other night is a baffling decision and we will lose a player due to it as there is no appeals process.

"We will lose an important player in an important game in front of a packed Ibrox and we have got to look and ask ourselves is that right. I just find the whole process and decision frustrating beyond belief.

"I watched the game when I got home on TV and you see them talking about the goal, talking about the great finish and the one-two then you see Andy Halliday looking bemused.

"He can’t work out what has gone on. Look at our bench, we get no dialogue and that’s not a good enough process.

"Look at the core point, a player has been awarded a second yellow, been booked, for celebrating a goal. I understand that if your shirt comes off you are booked, he literally raised his hand in a clenched fist in terms of saying “we’ve scored a second goal”, a big goal in front of the fans.

"I will wait to hear an explanation, but it will just be the normal."

--

absolute wankers, the fact the footballing world is laughing at them doesn't even make them hide it.

did the referee exercise common sense? absolutely not.

Well, that's a new precedent set.

If he's keeping by this decision then fuck me Scottish football is headed even faster to a grim finish.

Not one person I've heard or read has agree'd with it.

From Rival managers, to Ex Referees to analysts. 

Shocking decision and shocking that he can't own up to his fuck up. Instead, pointing to a rule book that is very loosely followed by these assholes and saying "one of these things." 

Games a bogey if we're trying to stamp out goal celebrations now. There's nothing untoward about celebrating a goal, and I include the amount of times Cummings has wheeled away with his finger to his mouth, annoying, frustrating and at the time I'm angry, but so fucking what. It's part of the game

I missed that bit when I first read it and I think I've just lost braincells from how fucking retarded that is. 

2 minutes ago, Lintero said:

Games a bogey if we're trying to stamp out goal celebrations now. There's nothing untoward about celebrating a goal, and I include the amount of times Cummings has wheeled away with his finger to his mouth, annoying, frustrating and at the time I'm angry, but so fucking what. It's part of the game

That's one thing I don't mind. Because it's cheeky, is done week in/week out by players of all ages, and riles up rival fans enough to shout back...

The Griffiths pictures above on the other hand... he's up to the fans with his hands out in the " 'mon then " - surprised he's not getting things thrown at him.

Scott Brown standing like that shows what's wrong with him in the supposed senior level of being captain.

And Andy Halliday... well his celebration is really beyond explanation. That way he thrusted a clutched fist in the air and ran in the direction of his own fans, celebrating, could have caused a full scale riot in Greenock. Smashed windows in the local £ shops would have followed.

1 minute ago, Ryju84 said:

That's one thing I don't mind. Because it's cheeky, is done week in/week out by players of all ages, and riles up rival fans enough to shout back...

The Griffiths pictures above on the other hand... he's up to the fans with his hands out in the " 'mon then " - surprised he's not getting things thrown at him.

Scott Brown standing like that shows what's wrong with him in the supposed senior level of being captain.

And Andy Halliday... well his celebration is really beyond explanation. That way he thrusted a clutched fist in the air and ran in the direction of his own fans, celebrating, could have caused a full scale riot in Greenock. Smashed windows in the local £ shops would have followed.

True, it was just one example that I could remember, the pics posted above are clearly a bigger issue, yet nothing is ever done. And as much as Griffiths is a cunt, I bet he was getting stick all game. Some of the biggest or most important goals scored in derbies are always followed by a wild celebration, providing there's no serious goading, there's no issue. See Edu against the tims for just joyous celebration.

I'm more annoyed that we've conceded than any celebration someone does infront of me tbh. Footballers need to be smart and not go OTT, but if fans are seriously thinking about rioting when a player gets a little too excited, they're the types of cunts that would riot anyway :lol: