Ronnie O'Sullivan

Granted the prize money has dropped considerably since the golden years of snooker when Davis, White, Thorburn, Higgins, Hendry, Taylor et al were household names and dare I say it colour TV was still something of a novelty.  There's also a lot more tournament to spread the sponsorship money around.

12 minutes ago, miracle said:

Granted the prize money has dropped considerably since the golden years of snooker when Davis, White, Thorburn, Higgins, Hendry, Taylor et al were household names and dare I say it colour TV was still something of a novelty.  There's also a lot more tournament to spread the sponsorship money around.

No excuse for not trying your hardest to entertain the fans that pay a fortune for tickets though.

9 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

No excuse for not trying your hardest to entertain the fans that pay a fortune for tickets though.

Of course not. I was just pointing out the game is very different now than when the prize money for a maximum was £147k.  Ronnie needs to realise that.

2 minutes ago, EatDolphins said:

I don't understand this at all. He gets paid more for a lower score? 

He'll possibly get some reward for the highest break but no he won't make anything close to £10,000. He seems to imply he is better than £10,000, and valuing a 147 at £10,000 is somewhat demeaning. So out of his warped principals he's deliberately choose not to go for the last black as an 'i'll show them', totally forgetting he is cheating out all his adoring fans. He would basically rather forfeit £10,000 to make a point. The point being he's a bit of a knob......

A simple rule change would resolve this to everyone's satisfaction.

"Any player, or players in a doubles match, who refuse to complete a potential maximum break of 147 points (155 points in the event of a 'free ball' having been declared) shall forfeit any competition prize monies and have their cue snapped and rammed right up their arse along with the cue ball and the remaining black ball."

I personally don't think he is bad for this. Guy is a genius in his sport and looking to raise the profile and prize money for the sport not just him. 

10k for the best possible frame in the sport is nothing when you think of a footballer getting in excess of 100k a week win, lose, draw or even play. 

He wants his sport to be recognised and paid appropriately nout wrong with it and knows he has the profile and talent to do it. 

1 minute ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

I personally don't think he is bad for this. Guy is a genius in his sport and looking to raise the profile and prize money for the sport not just him. 

10k for the best possible frame in the sport is nothing when you think of a footballer getting in excess of 100k a week win, lose, draw or even play. 

He wants his sport to be recognised and paid appropriately nout wrong with it and knows he has the profile and talent to do it. 

Hi Ronnie