NFL

Clemdog

Still can't quite believe this...

Six-time Super Bowl winner Tom Brady has signed for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after leaving the New England Patriots.

The quarterback said on Tuesday that he is ending an unprecedented 20-year spell of success with the Patriots.

The 42-year-old then announced on Friday that he is joining Tampa Bay.

"Excited, humble and hungry," he said. "I'm starting a new football journey and thankful for the Buccaneers for giving me an opportunity to do what I love to do."

'What can NFL greats Brady and Belichick do without each other? I can't wait to see'

'He eats avocado ice cream' - how social media reacted to Brady's move

Brady became a free agent for the first time this off-season, allowing him to speak to rival teams from Monday before the free agency signing period opened on Wednesday.

He is regarded as one of the greatest players of all time having won the Super Bowl more times than any other player - in 2002, 2004, 2005, 2015, 2017 and 2019.

Brady has made a total of nine Super Bowl appearances and been named the championship game's Most Valuable Player (MVP) four times - both NFL records.

He was named as the league's MVP in 2007, 2010 and 2017, and is second on the all-time list for touchdown passes and passing yards behind New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees.

The Patriots had not won the Super Bowl before choosing Brady with the 199th pick in the 2000 draft but they now have a joint-record six Super Bowl victories - level with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Bucs have only won the Super Bowl once in their 45 years in the NFL and are owned by the Glazer family, who also control Manchester United.

Their general manager Jason Licht was a member of the Patriots' scouting staff when Brady was drafted.

"Through this process it became very clear that his desire to be a champion burns as strong today as it ever has," he said. "He possesses the type of rare natural leadership qualities that will immediately impact our entire organisation."

Brady will replace Jameis Winston as the Bucs' starting quarterback, with Winston also becoming an unrestricted free agent. The 26-year-old led the league last season with 5,109 passing yards and threw 33 touchdown passes but also 30 interceptions - becoming the first man to go 30 for 30 in the same season.

Brady's switch to Florida is the biggest move at the start of free agency, although Todd Gurley, the NFL's rushing touchdown leader in two of the past three seasons, has agreed terms with the Atlanta Falcons after being released by the Los Angeles Rams.

Watch: Tom Brady's top 10 play-off moments

Analysis

Former NFL cornerback and BBC pundit Jason Bell

I see it as a great opportunity for Tom Brady and for us. Let's see if he can go somewhere else and be successful. I think it's a good fit, he's going to change the culture of that organisation.

It was down to two teams - the Los Angeles Chargers or the Buccaneers. I was leaning more towards the Chargers but the more I look at it, I see why he made this decision. He has great offensive weapons and receivers [at Tampa Bay]. That's one of the things he complained about [at New England], that's what he wants. Tampa Bay were a good offence already, one of the best in the NFL, without Tom Brady, so he must be looking at it thinking, 'wow, I can really light it up and do some good things with this group'.

On defence, they got better as the year went on and Brady knows the defensive co-ordinator Todd Bowles well, he's played against him a lot. Brady must be thinking 'I've got a guy who's a great coach on defence, I know what I've got to do on offence and my head coach [Bruce Arians] is an offensive guy. This is great for me'.

Yes, he's getting better money. He wanted a good deal and he's got one, in a state where they don't have any state tax and that's warm - it's hard to be out there in the cold when you're getting older. But Tom Brady wants to win, let's never forget that. And this is a great situation for him to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rams have completely fucked their iconic look with the worst re-design humanly possible. The design team and corporate execs responsible for that fiasco should all be buried up to their necks  and have their heads encased in swarms of murder hornets.

Patrick Mahomes: Kansas City Chiefs agree 10-year contract extension with quarterback

By Cameron Hogwood

Last Updated: 06/07/20 8:19pm

Patrick Mahomes was selected 10th overall at the 2017 NFL Draft

Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed a record 10-year contract extension that ties him down at Arrowhead through the 2031 season. 

The deal is set to be the richest in NFL history, according to ESPN's Adam Shefter, as the Chiefs reward Mahomes after he led the franchise to its first Super Bowl title in 50 years.

Mahomes inspired the Chiefs to victory over the San Francisco 49ers as MVP at February's Super Bowl LIV in Miami, following on from his league MVP award in 2018.

Worth 400 million apparently. Caching.

1 hour ago, TEFTONG said:

Patrick Mahomes: Kansas City Chiefs agree 10-year contract extension with quarterback

By Cameron Hogwood

Last Updated: 06/07/20 8:19pm

Patrick Mahomes was selected 10th overall at the 2017 NFL Draft

Patrick Mahomes and the Kansas City Chiefs have agreed a record 10-year contract extension that ties him down at Arrowhead through the 2031 season. 

The deal is set to be the richest in NFL history, according to ESPN's Adam Shefter, as the Chiefs reward Mahomes after he led the franchise to its first Super Bowl title in 50 years.

Mahomes inspired the Chiefs to victory over the San Francisco 49ers as MVP at February's Super Bowl LIV in Miami, following on from his league MVP award in 2018.

Worth 400 million apparently. Caching.

Its actually 427.6 million minimum as he has 27.6 left on his initial remaining 2 year contract. It seems like the new 10 year deal will be tied to the salary cap which will inevitably rise year on year over the next decade and in turn means putting a final figure on the contract is pretty difficult. Could end up being near 500 million 😂😂😂

And that's before all the other endorsements that will come his way as the best player in the league and face of the NFL, fucking mental money.

Edit - just seen that there's no tie to the salary cap but the extension is worth 450million. 

Just Washington what ? from now on then.

In a statement posted to Twitter, they wrote: "On July 3rd, we announced the commencement of a thorough review of the team's name. That review has begun in earnest.

"As part of this process, we want to keep our sponsors, fans and community apprised of our thinking as we go forward.

"Today, we are announcing we will be retiring the Redskins name and logo upon completion of this review.

"Dan Snyder and Coach Rivera are working closely to develop a new name and design approach that will enhance the standing of our proud, tradition rich franchise and inspire our sponsors, fans and community for the next 100 years."

🙄🤔

6 minutes ago, TEFTONG said:

Just Washington what ? from now on then.

In a statement posted to Twitter, they wrote: "On July 3rd, we announced the commencement of a thorough review of the team's name. That review has begun in earnest.

"As part of this process, we want to keep our sponsors, fans and community apprised of our thinking as we go forward.

"Today, we are announcing we will be retiring the Redskins name and logo upon completion of this review.

"Dan Snyder and Coach Rivera are working closely to develop a new name and design approach that will enhance the standing of our proud, tradition rich franchise and inspire our sponsors, fans and community for the next 100 years."

🙄🤔

They should go for the Washington Whiteskins 😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 17/07/2020 at 13:34, Essandoh said:

What’s the equivalent in football of Brady going to the Bucaneers?

Very hard to compare as there's a tiny amount of teams in the NFL compared to football.

But in a few years if Messi looked a bit leggy, then moving to Brighton.