Mr Warburton.

Doing so much good in terms of the bigger picture.

Youth structure, player contract incentivising, football not long ball, adding value,  speaking sense to media,  footballing sense, etc etc etc.

But

Give our resources is he delivering enough?

How often is possession high but the goal count low? Do we need a plan B and is there one? Can he demand enough of his players to raise their game enough? Is he flexible enough in his style to adapt? 

Our keeper being motm against QoS is not acceptable.

This isn't a knee jerk reaction. It's a questioning of whether we are expecting and demanding enough of him, or are we just so grateful to be void of the gardening dud that we accept short term mediocrity as long as we believe he'll deliver long term success.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today we were very poor. I was disappointed in the lack of leadership throughout the team, and our midfield, in particular, exerted no authority on the game whatsoever- too many players today seemed to let the game's events pass them by, and that is not the Rangers way; we need players who dictate what happens on the park.  We should always expect more, but I am willing to back the manger; he has high standards, and is making us a good footballing side, today apart.

Still happy and we are still progressing but I do admit I share the concerns in the OP.

We really need the quality additions and money spent in the summer. These guys are great for this level but that's it. We dominate games but are not clinical or dangerous enough in the final third.

My gripe with Warburton (maybe unfairly) is that I said at the start of the season if Waghorn get's injured we are light up front and will struggle. It's OK saying he's not really an out and out number 9 anyway but that doesn't matter because he's our main striker and goalscorer. Warburton has been signing attacker after attacker in the moulds of King, O'Halloran and Forrester but none of them would be able to step in upfront (same can be said for Clark and Shiels) and do the job of our main striker. It's a bit naive on his part.

But I'll stress again I am happy with us and where we are at at the moment - provided we don't rest on it and do the serious rebuild in the summer I think we can relax a bit,

Unfortunately, Bears are not noted for their patience (just ask Walter Smith) so Mr Warburton may have to temper his planning a little. The board may back him but the power is with the fans. If you look at the number of posts implying we will storm the EL next season, although we have not yet won the SC, he will have to produce soon.

6 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

A massive turnover in squad since the summer(15 new players into the club) the complete change in style and we're into a cup final, QF's of the Scottish cup and have a nice lead in the league(20 wins from 25 league matches) then he's not only delivered enough, he's went above the expectations!

The football we play is far better, yes the end product needs to improve at times, but I'll get concerned when the chances aren't being created. Two of the defeats in the league were unjust, bad referee decisions in both, Waggy missed a pen for draw at Falkirk in the last minute. We've dropped 2 points at home in the league which is a fantastic return. 

The St Johnstone game was disappointing, but it's a process and a learning curve. If someone offered me this position in the summer, with 3 loses from 35 games I'd have grabbed it with both hands. 

One final point, our keeper was very good today, but the way people and the media are going on is if he made 5/6 world class saves. I'd have been raging if he didn't save any of those 3/4 shots today. 

This. Less than a year ago we were getting pumped 3-0 by QOTS, I can handle beating them 1-0 on an off-day.

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

A massive turnover in squad since the summer(15 new players into the club) the complete change in style and we're into a cup final, QF's of the Scottish cup and have a nice lead in the league(20 wins from 25 league matches) then he's not only delivered enough, he's went above the expectations!

The football we play is far better, yes the end product needs to improve at times, but I'll get concerned when the chances aren't being created. Two of the defeats in the league were unjust, bad referee decisions in both, Waggy missed a pen for draw at Falkirk in the last minute. We've dropped 2 points at home in the league which is a fantastic return. 

The St Johnstone game was disappointing, but it's a process and a learning curve. If someone offered me this position in the summer, with 3 loses from 35 games I'd have grabbed it with both hands. 

One final point, our keeper was very good today, but the way people and the media are going on is if he made 5/6 world class saves. I'd have been raging if he didn't save any of those 3/4 shots today. 

He has not yet delivered anything. I believe he will but let's not get ahead of ourselves. Nothing is certain - remember 2008.

Doing the job this season. When we get over the line it'll be job done nothing more or less.

Massive summer ahead for the club and for our management team. W&W must be given enough funds to strengthen this side in order to make a serious challenge for that title....

I would rather our team can grind out 1-0 wins when needed, like title winning sides such as Man Utd of the past (and Leicester appear to be) do.

If this was any of the past 3 seasons we could have lost 2-1 today etc., but instead today we beat them. Also, the team said in all the after match interviews that they weren't at their best today, and the last 20 minutes "wasn't us" and that they had to fight hard for the victory, I would rather they knew that after a win than a loss. 

I take Foderingham's good performance today as a good sign not a bad one. His saves were excellent and he looks like a great keeper. 

We also beat Killie 1-0, they were a team who gave Celtic and Hearts problems this season.

Warburton has delivered more than enough so far in my opinion. I think it's ridiculous that some people would try bring it into question.  

27 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

How often is possession high but the goal count low? Do we need a plan B and is there one?

Very rarely, is the answer to this as our plus 50 goal differencet testifies to (which is the highest of any of the 7 major leagues in the UK incidentally).

When plan A stops working we may need a plan B, but it's so rarely happened it's difficult to say at the moment.

6 minutes ago, TonyRice1872 said:

I would rather our team can grind out 1-0 wins when needed, like title winning sides such as Man Utd of the past (and Leicester appear to be) do.

If this was any of the past 3 seasons we could have lost 2-1 today etc., but instead today we beat them. Also, the team said in all the after match interviews that they weren't at their best today and had to fight hard for the victory, I would rather they knew that after a win than a loss. 

I take Foderingham's good performance today as a good sign not a bad one. 

We also beat Killie 1-0, they were a team who gave Celtic and Hearts problems this season.

Warburton has delivered more than enough so far in my opinion. I think it's ridiculous that some people would try bring it into question.  

The thing is the players and manager have been coming out for weeks now saying we haven't been at our best. It's time they did something about it.

We beat Kilmarnock 2-1

Just now, blueretro said:

The thing is the players and manager have been coming out for weeks now saying we haven't been at our best. It's time they did something about it.

We beat Kilmarnock 2-1

I got mixed up with the Killie result as I watched it on Periscope mate.

I know mate and kind of agree, but every other team in Scotland this season has been nowhere near as good as us consistently in my opinion. Any of their fans would give their left arm for their team to consistently play like ours in my opinion mate, even if they don't admit it. 

I will admit the post match interviews are getting a bit samey recently of him saying that we will learn etc but the next game comes and it's just went the same way as the last...us struggling to put the ball in the net. 

Was also a bit surprised we never picked up a main striker in Jan but I assume that will be remedied in the Summer. 

These are only minor things though and over the piece Warburton has been brilliant for our club...really can't wait to see him bringing us Premiership success and hopefully a few good European runs. 

The main concern I had today was the period after we scored. It is understandable struggling to grind out results against teams that pack out a defence and play for a draw but after we scored and Queens were forced to come at us, we were on the back foot and couldn't take advantage of the space generated.

iIn some respects, they outplayed us in the last 20 minutes and looked the more likely to score. We have higher quality, fitter players but we are being made to look ordinary by journeymen players who are willing to have a go.

A team that has the bottle to come at us from the start instead of waiting until they fall behind could produce a bit of a shock result or be on the end of a hammering. There's just no consistency or predictability in the level of our performance.

Asking if Warburton is "delivering enough" is crazy talk IMO.

We are playing the best football we've played in years, we've averaged close to three goals a game this season and we've only conceded something like twenty four goals.

Yes, there's been some bumps in the road along the way and I have no doubts there will be more to come but that's always going to happen when you are undertaking the size of rebuild that we are and when you have a manager who is still relatively inexperienced and is facing a completely different style of football to anything he will have managed against before every week.

We have things that we need to improve on but if you look at the bigger picture reasonably rather than adopting a half glass full mentality then you see that we are in a pretty good place at the moment both in terms of achieving the biggest objective which was promotion and in terms of building a decent fountain to build upon once we move up a level.

One bad result against St Johnstone aside, I genuinely don't know what more he could have done and I'm not going to start considering "what if?" scenarios like does he have a plan b until we actually find ourselves in a position where we need to be discussing them.

I like a good knee jerk reaction, let's get on the bandwagon of negativity being top of the league and all.

FFS give it a break, he seems a good man and has the right words for the right time, gets results so I am not too bothered about only scoring one winning goal in a game. It was a f*cking winning goal from a sub he got on!

Look at Fergies start to his career at Manure and tell me if you would have sacked him?

He's doing what has been expected of him as set by the Rangers board - not by the supporters. He's brought in an attractive footballing philosophy  that will be evolved with patience and time across the different playing squads; bringing in young hungry players that will be sold on for a vast profit; and crucially of all, the big one, he's leading us to promotion. 

The team can't be expected to win 10-0 every game, which many appear to demand. We're getting the results we need to maintain our lead and that's all that matters for now.

I think some nerves are starting to kick in as well with players. It's getting to that time of the year, we can only throw it away and it would be an utter disaster if we lost the league. The realisation of this may be starting to dawn on some, that the pressure is on.

Rangers are expected to win this, for hibs it's "nice to have" but they are realistically looking at the playoffs. It's a totally different level of pressure.

And there were have it. He's better than McCoist. No one is disagreeing with that, especially not me.

I'm talking about being objective about the guy I believe is the real deal.

Should we be hanging on against QoS for a draw?

Should we be sending out Hardie when waggy has been injured?

Should we have dipped in performance of late rather than improved? 

Should our possession stats = more goals?

Does MW rely on his favourites despite bigging up his squad?

Are we incapable of killing of teams due to the lack of killer instinct?

Just because we have what I believe to be the one of the best managers in the UK doesn't mean we shouldn't critique him.

Can he do better with the squad he has available?  

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

And there were have it. He's better than McCoist. No one is disagreeing with that, especially not me.

I'm talking about being objective about the guy I believe is the real deal.

Should we be hanging on against QoS for a draw?

Should we be sending out Hardie when waggy has been injured?

Should we have dipped in performance of late rather than improved? 

Should our possession stats = more goals?

Does MW rely on his favourites despite bigging up his squad?

Are we incapable of killing of teams due to the lack of killer instinct?

Just because we have what I believe to be the one of the best managers in the UK doesn't mean we shouldn't critique him.

Can he do better with the squad he has available? 

IMO no mate. The average XI bar 3/4 of them - this is their level (i.e comfortable enough to get us out of the league and the top flight but that's it)

Think we all need to chill a bit.

MW has only been in charge since June 2015, he has not only stamped an attacking philosophy on to the team, he is endorsing Craig Mulholland's vision for the future.

So far this season Marks record stands at:

• 25 - Played - 67 Goals (F) - 17 (A)
  • Petrofac Cup Final (I know some don't see it as relevant, however for me it will go down in history that The Rangers have won every trophy in our domestic game)
  •  Lost in the League Cup (three month in to his tenure).
  • Still in the Scottish Cup.
  • Maintained an 8 point gap (without our main goal scorer).

I can understand the frustration of some of the posters on here, however this is the club we love and my gut feeling is we will go up automatically this year, be patient (know it's hard) a wins a win (3 points).

Three home game now to break the Spoon Benders hearts. #WATP 

We were brutal today and have been for a wee while now, we seem to have lost the knack of killing off teams quick which we had at the start of the season, this is why defensively we are all over the place as upfront we are just not putting away the multitude of chances we are creating.

Still we are getting the right results but we look a lot weaker even in terms of fitness than we were early on which Is a worry. We should have strengthened in the window and put this challenge out of sight.