What happened to big Wes?

five stars

What happened to big Wes coming out and commanding his area, particularly at corners?

When he arrived in the summer he was excellent at coming of his line which made us much more effective at defending corners, something Bell was particularly poor at.

Has he been told to stay on his line by our goalkeeping coach?

Yesterday we played them off the park at times but were unable to win the game in 90 minutes due to fact we couldn't defend corners.

I dont think its down to the keeper.  If you look at the 1st goal we use zonal defending which is why we look dodgy defending set pieces.

At one point, Wilson, Kiernan and Ball we all stood along the 6 yard line marking no one

Its not a criticism but zonal marking offers more of an attacking option when breaking from a set piece which suits our style of play.

I think its very difficult if the opposing team knows we are a little short on height in the team. All they have to do is crowd Wes to stop him moving and suddenly its down to the aerial threat the other team possesses. We have seen this all season and I dont think anybody was surprised their main threat came from set pieces and corners.

Foderingham was great yesterday. 

Still to watch it back but it looked like a great save from the Heeds freekick.

Didn't panic when distributing either when they marked up our CBs. 

The height they had in the team probably played a part. The ball would have had to be in the six yard box for him to have a 100% chance of claiming it 

2 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Foderingham was great yesterday. 

Still to watch it back but it looked like a great save from the Heeds freekick.

Didn't panic when distributing either when they marked up our CBs. 

The height they had in the team probably played a part. The ball would have had to be in the six yard box for him to have a 100% chance of claiming it 

A good few times he stuck a nice flighted pass out to Tav and you could hear the groans and growls from their fans. Terrific.

The problem with long ball corners is, more often than not it's a cluster fuck. and it's hard to actually mark someone and keep with them or keep an eye on a target. You're not just marking a man and staying with him, you're also tracking the ball. Doing those two things at the same time while also not trying to be overly aggressive and watching your hands. 

In saying that, Wes has been immense all season. Especially since we got him on a free transfer, I mean unless you want Bell back :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, five stars said:

What happened to big Wes coming out and commanding his area, particularly at corners?

When he arrived in the summer he was excellent at coming of his line which made us much more effective at defending corners, something Bell was particularly poor at.

Has he been told to stay on his line by our goalkeeping coach?

Yesterday we played them off the park at times but were unable to win the game in 90 minutes due to fact we couldn't defend corners.

I didn't think he was remotely commanding coming for cross balls at the start of the season. He's playing to his strengths now. He's developing into a top class keeper, but that is the area he needs most work on.

I'd never heard of Wes before we signed him and my first impressions of him where that he was excellent at coming out for corners ( Bell was a liability in this department), as well as being great with the ball at his feet. ( he's since gone on to show he's an excellent all round keeper).

If we have a keeper who's excellent at coming for corners why not use that, especially against a team who have a height advantage? 

I'm not moaning about yesterday, I'm looking to next season where I believe teams will see corners as their best chance at scoring. 

Aye, couldn't understand why he wasn't coming for a few balls that were close to goal and floated in. He's a big guy as well, should be clearing through the opposition's players to get the ball. 

Still though, a very small criticism in the grand scheme of things. The guy is a superb shot-stopper.

1 minute ago, Dietspam said:

Halliday lost his man for both goals. 

Their 1st equaliser was because of their height advantage,I thought Halliday picking him up was a mismatch.

Their 2nd equaliser,earlier in the game would probably have been blocked,as Halliday just couldn't get there.

No complaints at all,just thinking about what MW has already recognised.

We got what we deserved VICTORY:craphead:

5 minutes ago, Blumhoilann said:

Their 1st equaliser was because of their height advantage,I thought Halliday picking him up was a mismatch.

Their 2nd equaliser,earlier in the game would probably have been blocked,as Halliday just couldn't get there.

No complaints at all,just thinking about what MW has already recognised.

We got what we deserved VICTORY:craphead:

Absolutely. And he stepped up for the first penalty. I cannot imagine how he must have felt. Serious cahonas there

36 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Aye, couldn't understand why he wasn't coming for a few balls that were close to goal and floated in. He's a big guy as well, should be clearing through the opposition's players to get the ball. 

Still though, a very small criticism in the grand scheme of things. The guy is a superb shot-stopper.

Agreed the corners where floated in with no great pace and because of the width of the park gives the keeper plenty of time to come out.

I believe if he had been instructed to come for the ball when possible he'd of easily caught or punched out the corner for the goal.

Just to repeat. He's a great keeper and excellent at coming of his line.

I'm guessing he's been told to stay on his line.

Possibly by the goalkeeping coach?