Can You Help A Wee Bear To Get To America For An Operation?

mark adair

3 hours ago, govanblue said:

I was reading this story from July 2012.

Seems the Doctors didn't think he'd make it past a few weeks. (He'll be 5 next month.)

But the Wee Fella knows, probably better than most of us, the true meaning of No Surrender! 

Operation agony for the baby with the 56 million-1 chance of survival

joshua-adair-image-1-119109371.jpg

The family of a baby with a 56million-to-one chance of survival have been left devastated after a life-saving op was cancelled with two days' notice.

Joshua Adair has Jeune's syndrome - a rare form of dwarfism that stopped his ribcage developing.

He has no rooms for his lungs to grow and his chest would literally crush the life out of him.

The five-month-old was due to travel to Great Ormond Street Hospital today, where surgeons were to build him a new chest.

Joshua's Glaswegian dad Mark and mum Amanda were getting ready for the trip when they got the bad news.

Mark, 35, said: "Joshua's operation was scheduled for Thursday but we've been told there has been an emergency and as a result there are no beds available so the surgery has been cancelled.

"We're just devastated. Every day Joshua survives is a miracle and we don't know when he will now get this chance again.

"All our hopes were pinned on this and now we are back to waiting again. It's heartbreaking."

Doctors told Joshua's parents it was unlikely their baby would survive more than a couple of weeks after his birth and the family held a christening in the hospital days after he was born.

But five months on, Joshua is proving the experts wrong and thriving, despite being hooked up to oxygen 23 hours a day.

The youngster faces several ops to build and expand his ribcage as he grows older.

Mechanic Mark lives with his partner Amanda and their fiveyear-old son Ethan in Stockport, Greater Manchester.

The couple were recovering from the stillbirth of a baby girl Chloe last year when Amanda fell pregnant again.

Her 20-week scan revealed their new baby had problems but they agreed to hope for the best.

Joshua is on a ventilator 23 hours a day and has remained in Stepping Hill hospital, Stockport, since his birth in June.

Mark said: "Everyone warned us Joshua may not live but he has proved a wee fighter.

"We know it's a tough road ahead and Joshua will face many operations but we have to give him every chance. We are just desperate to get on with it."

Joshua's paediatrician at Stepping Hill, Dr Carrie Heal, said: "Jeune thoracic dystrophy is very rare and there have only been around 125 reported cases since it was first described in 1955."

Wow you certainly find them, brings back memory's that one. Defo pulls on the old heart strings. Nice one GB. 

14 minutes ago, mark adair said:

Wow you certainly find them, brings back memory's that one. Defo pulls on the old heart strings. Nice one GB. 

Yes mate.  I worried about that as I was copying it across.  I was going to edit some bits out, but the folks on here are used to getting the full story from me, even the painful bits, and I guessed you'd feel the same.

PS - A couple of medals will be on their way to the lads too, courtesy of one of our Members...

ChampMedal2016_zpsjbptwcwa.jpg

25 minutes ago, govanblue said:

Yes mate.  I worried about that as I was copying it across.  I was going to edit some bits out, but the folks on here are used to getting the full story from me, even the painful bits, and I guessed you'd feel the same.

PS - A couple of medals will be on their way to the lads too, courtesy of one of our Members...

ChampMedal2016_zpsjbptwcwa.jpg

Awe what. Thank you guys they will love them. 

On 04/05/2016 at 11:15 PM, mark adair said:

Trying to hit the papers again guys so will let you know if I have any luck, worth the try to see if can get a bit of publicity. 

Really hope you can get someone with real wealth to see your story and make the trip happen for Joshua. (tu)

16 minutes ago, mark adair said:

Fantastic mate!  That's a smashing result!

What an excellent article that is - and we even get several mentions!  :p.

Please don't anybody post the content - on this occasion, the page genuinely deserves the hits. :P

I'll be offline all day today, but hopefully there will be plenty of Bears around to lend their support. (tu)

Oh, and someone still needs to get that link to The People at Rangers too. (tu) 

Fantastic news on getting in the papers again, hopefully it'll start to gain momentum as others learn about Joshua. Donated again......why not eh?

image.jpeg

Never like to see green things progress but in this instance that progress bar can keep moving to the right :D

4 hours ago, Rfc52 said:

Seen it in today's sun.

Hope that leads to a huge surge for yous 

THat's great news,  We have some wealthy bears in our boardroom and connected to our club,  does anyone on here have the contacts to get this seen by the clubs top dogs?

@The Louden Tavern  @Louden_Greg   @stonefield teddies      Is there maybe a bucket can get passed around on cup final day or something, I would imagine you guys will be packed then.  I also know that loudengred and TLT have some sway with guys like RF, club1872   @eskbankloyal  what about the RST, is ther anything you guys can do to raise awareness?

Just throwing some ideas out there :)

9 minutes ago, gogzy said:

THat's great news,  We have some wealthy bears in our boardroom and connected to our club,  does anyone on here have the contacts to get this seen by the clubs top dogs?

@The Louden Tavern  @Louden_Greg   @stonefield teddies      Is there maybe a bucket can get passed around on cup final day or something, I would imagine you guys will be packed then.  I also know that loudengred and TLT have some sway with guys like RF, club1872   @eskbankloyal  what about the RST, is ther anything you guys can do to raise awareness?

Just throwing some ideas out there :)

Some good ideas there.

How about a sponsored cup final where for every goal scored by us you donate an amount you decide before the game, could be as little as 50p or as much as £25 depending on how well placed you are. It'll just increase the feel good factor on the day if we win.