Hard luck stories

markem

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

worst one for us id say was like above a works coupon, horrible weekend for games so we allowed sunday games, early/late ko's etc, only 6 of us in it (was the sections list) and at 5 quid a pop we were due well over 2 grand back, first 5 came in by sat evening, waiting on southampton at home to brighton on the sunday evening

At the time Southampton had cantered the championship, brighton had taken heehaw on the road all season and while they just hired gus poyet 3 days before the game, this was seen as a "yas we've done it"

cue brighton winning 3 fucking 1 at St Marys, i could have walked down to Brighton and booted Poyet right in the baws for that one, ugly prick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was down to my last 20 quid online the other day ,decided to back Clear Spell 10 ew @ 6/1. 

Stalls opened and the mutant just stood there and refused to race,when your down to your last bet and that's how you go down its brutal.

A few years ago Heart got Burnley as their manager and I thought he's do very well especially with Romanov there.  I went round to the bookies and tried to put £20 on Hearts finishing 2nd.  The guy told me he could give me a price for them winning it outright.  I said no, I wanted a price for second.  He said he didn't have odds for that so the bet wasn't placed.  Hearts finished 2nd that season and I missed out on upwards of £2000.

• 3 months later...
On 8/7/2016 at 0:23 AM, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

A few years ago Heart got Burnley as their manager and I thought he's do very well especially with Romanov there.  I went round to the bookies and tried to put £20 on Hearts finishing 2nd.  The guy told me he could give me a price for them winning it outright.  I said no, I wanted a price for second.  He said he didn't have odds for that so the bet wasn't placed.  Hearts finished 2nd that season and I missed out on upwards of £2000.

If you didn't get the odds how do you know how how much 'you would have won' ?  

18 hours ago, Misteral said:

If you didn't get the odds how do you know how how much 'you would have won' ?  

Later on in the season when it became more clear Hearts could finish first or second the odds became more well known.  The odds at seasons start were 200-1 if I remember right but it was a while ago now.

It's like people talking about Leicester being 5000/1 after they won the league.  People want to point out the long odds and there was stories in the papers of those lucky enough to have put the bets on.  Copies of their tickets and such.  Hearts long odds at the start of the season weren't a secret, it was frequently pointed out at the time.

1 hour ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Later on in the season when it became more clear Hearts could finish first or second the odds became more well known.  The odds at seasons start were 200-1 if I remember right but it was a while ago now.

So if you tried to put a score on it,  it would have been 4k not 2k.

11 hours ago, murzo said:

So if you tried to put a score on it,  it would have been 4k not 2k.

Probably.  It was a long time ago now so I'm not that bothered about it.  I did try to put the bet on but the bookie wouldn't let me.  Maybe I should have pursued it more but I didn't.  

3 hours ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Probably.  It was a long time ago now so I'm not that bothered about it.  I did try to put the bet on but the bookie wouldn't let me.  Maybe I should have pursued it more but I didn't.  

Don't know why. all you had to do was say I want a 10er or 20 quid each way on hearts. you get 1/2 the odds in the league for an ew bet and it pays out for 1st and 2nd. 

You've been able to bet ew on leagues for years. :lol:

1 hour ago, Rfc52 said:

Don't know why. all you had to do was say I want a 10er or 20 quid each way on hearts. you get 1/2 the odds in the league for an ew bet and it pays out for 1st and 2nd. 

You've been able to bet ew on leagues for years. :lol:

I'm rarely in a bookies.  I wouldn't know to ask for an "each way" bet.  As I said, I asked to put £20 on them coming second and the guy said he only had odds for them winning it.

2 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I'm rarely in a bookies.  I wouldn't know to ask for an "each way" bet.  As I said, I asked to put £20 on them coming second and the guy said he only had odds for them winning it.

It would tell you on the screen he would have been checking to see if they odds were available. ew 1,2 @ 1/2 the odds would've been above the league odds. so you'd have got 100/1 on them being second 

Just now, Rfc52 said:

It would tell you on the screen he would have been checking to see if they odds were available. ew 1,2 @ 1/2 the odds would've been above the league odds. so you'd have got 100/1 on them being second 

I never asked for an each way bet, and no one ever offered it.  I had an idea of what I wanted to put a bet on and asked specifically for that.

18 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I never asked for an each way bet, and no one ever offered it.  I had an idea of what I wanted to put a bet on and asked specifically for that.

You didn't need to ask it would tell the guy at the counter. that ew betting was half the odds and paying 1st and 2nd. imagine you'd got it on and they'd won the league :lol:

Even for a 10er ew you'd a fucked yourself for 3 grand as they'd have won the league and you were sitting waiting on them to be second. always ew it covers you for winning and being second. epl is 1/3 of the odds for 1,2,3 iirc

On 11/24/2016 at 8:55 AM, BonjourBonjour said:

My mate was waiting on Real and BTTS the other night for £1,300. Real were 1 up then Sporting went down to ten men.He cashed out for £80. :drugang:

That is sick :anguish: I cashed out a BBTS treble for £400 off a fiver with about 10 minutes to go, would have got £500. Bit different though as thats a hell of a lot closer to what I was getting!

This is not a hard luck story but one of good fortune, last night me and my m8 did a 5 game btts line in the French lower divisions, we got 9/10 with Orleans the team that let us down, in my sky account it was saying that all the games had won, I logged out and logged back in and the bets had been settled resulting in £145.79 each.....now that's what I call a black Friday offer:party:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My brother in law was telling me that him and his mate had went a score each on a 4 team accumulator and it had came in for around 750 bar so they decided to whack the lot on arsenal away to Newcastle and he says they were either even money or 11/10 so it's on and they head to the snooker club in larkhall to watch it and get a few frames in and arsenal are winning 4 nil at halftime so they phone their burds to say they were leaving the car in larkhall and were having a wee bevy next thing Newcastle score 4 in the second half and they are left with fuckall. Sore 1 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10 January 2017 at 4:57 PM, bluewhitevanman said:

My brother in law was telling me that him and his mate had went a score each on a 4 team accumulator and it had came in for around 750 bar so they decided to whack the lot on arsenal away to Newcastle and he says they were either even money or 11/10 so it's on and they head to the snooker club in larkhall to watch it and get a few frames in and arsenal are winning 4 nil at halftime so they phone their burds to say they were leaving the car in larkhall and were having a wee bevy next thing Newcastle score 4 in the second half and they are left with fuckall. Sore 1 

fuck sake - i remember the game

On Tue Jan 10 2017 at 4:57 PM, bluewhitevanman said:

That's a fucker.  At least nowadays you can cash out to be safe

• 7 months later...

Not a massive one but just missed out on over £800 quid at the weekend! More annoying as the shortest odds one failed. Fox was leading with 4 to play as well and the 2 balls ended up a tie. Compounded by Fox outscoring Sinnott by 6 in the following round haha!

10-Sep-17 
09:11:597 Folds (x5) Man City v Liverpool, Man City v Liverpool 

6.000.00Lost 

Man City v Liverpool 
Kyle Walker - Anytime Assist 

----Won 

Man City v Liverpool 
Benjamin Mendy - Anytime Assist 
----Won 

Man City v Liverpool 
Sergio Aguero - Anytime Assist 
----Won