Fans jailed attack on Rab Douglas

Big Al 55

Correct decision, they did try and play the sectarian card though. Wonder if SC final fans who attacked players will be jailed, I'm sure there's enough footage.

http://stv.tv/news/tayside/1363651-football-fans-jailed-for-attack-on-ex-scotland-goalkeeper/

Two football fans who ran on to the pitch and brawled with former Scotland goalkeeper Rab Douglas have been jailed.

Ian Bear and Ryan Lawrence were also handed lengthy stadium bans for attacking the player at full-time of an SPFL match in Forfar, Angus.

Ex-Celtic and Dundee goalkeeper Douglas had earlier told a court he was subjected to vile sectarian abuse before fans ran on the pitch and attacked him, prompting him to punch one of them to protect himself.

Bear, 36, and Lawrence, 19, both from Airdrie, North Lanarkshire admitted committing breach of the peace by on the park and brawling with Douglas at Station Park, Forfar, on April 11, 2015.

Douglas was playing for Forfar Athletic against Airdriewhen the Loons scored a late winner that ensured the visitors would not get promotion.

The 19-times capped goalie said he had expected "banter" from fans but a small group of Airdrie supporters turned nasty during the match.

Douglas told Forfar Sheriff Court he was subjected to sectarian abuse, then, as he lined up to take a goal kick in the dying seconds of the match, a fan spat on his back.

The court was shown footage of the end of the game, with home fans celebrating as the referee blows for full-time, before the camera pans back to a brawl kicking off in Douglas's goalmouth.

Two men are seen rushing on to the park and launching an attack on Douglas, who told how he had to punch both in the face to defend himself.

The 44-year-old said: "The final whistle had just went and I heard our left back, Iain Campbell, shouting at me and I turned round.

"The first man was about 2ft away from me. I tried to protect myself at first and we made contact with each other at the same point. He punched me in the head and I punched him. The second fan approached and we made contact as well.

"I've played 650 games in my career and it's only the second time anything like that has happened to me.

"I didn't know if they had weapons, knives or bottles, or anything on them. My team-mates rushed over and grabbed me and got me away."

An allegation the crime was motivated by sectarianism was removed from the charges.

A third Airdrie man Douglas Allsop, 40, and Kenneth Murray, 30, of Aberdeen, had their not guilty pleas accepted and walked free.

Sheriff Gregor Murray sentenced both men to three months imprisonment.

He also imposed a five-year football banning order on the pair.

16 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

Suppose if you enter the field of play and attack a player you should expect nothing else really...unless you're a Rangers player.

It's a dickish thing to do tbh.

Abuse is all fine and well but to actually go onto the field and attempt to assault someone for doing their job is thick as fuck.

It's not even like Douglas was a big bitter bastard or anything either, and as you say - thinking of doing that after winning a cup final just beggars belief.

Fair play to the guy for giving it back to them.

Big rab is a cunt. I was at a race night years ago when he was at the tims.

Ran turns up and donates a brand new 21 gear mountain bike to the raffle as it was a fund raiser.

Fast forward few hours, by chance his own ticket gets drawn out and the prick kept the bike.

Bet he just borrowed it to look good. 

17 hours ago, bigsasasfloopyhair said:

Big rab is a cunt. I was at a race night years ago when he was at the tims.

Ran turns up and donates a brand new 21 gear mountain bike to the raffle as it was a fund raiser.

Fast forward few hours, by chance his own ticket gets drawn out and the prick kept the bike.

Bet he just borrowed it to look good. 

:lol:  :lol: