D'Artagnan

The mighty gavel of IPSO

12 posts in this topic

Don't think I've ever read a bad article from you Dart!

Sound as ever! Not so sure about his career though? Sunday Gherald?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A gavel made of wet paper slapping down on a desk with a dull thud that the newspaper managers / owners then ignore and noisily move on to the next sensation they can create to salve the thirst of yet more mischief to hurl at Rangers.

A gavel of sorts may have thudded its way to the table, and the newspaper forced to publish some words about it.  But.....and its a serious but.....what punishment is then meted out to those who commit the initial publishing crime?    Any?   Some - if so what?  None - in which case the gavel is a toothless tiger (sorry for the mixed metaphor).    If everything just moves on until we reach the next case (there will inevitably be a next case) then all it really indicates is that the newspaper industry is not capable (or willing) to police itself effectively.    It would be an echo of sorts to former Soviet-bloc ways of working for the Press.

The other point is - the Club itself appears to have been very quiet on this matter.  Why?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to push this in to the publics mind, that the the Daily Record tells lies about Rangers. How we do that I am unsure of, maybe some type of banner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Reformation Bear said:

A gavel made of wet paper slapping down on a desk with a dull thud that the newspaper managers / owners then ignore and noisily move on to the next sensation they can create to salve the thirst of yet more mischief to hurl at Rangers.

A gavel of sorts may have thudded its way to the table, and the newspaper forced to publish some words about it.  But.....and its a serious but.....what punishment is then meted out to those who commit the initial publishing crime?    Any?   Some - if so what?  None - in which case the gavel is a toothless tiger (sorry for the mixed metaphor).    If everything just moves on until we reach the next case (there will inevitably be a next case) then all it really indicates is that the newspaper industry is not capable (or willing) to police itself effectively.    It would be an echo of sorts to former Soviet-bloc ways of working for the Press.

The other point is - the Club itself appears to have been very quiet on this matter.  Why?

I suspect RB, and hope, they are taking their time to issue a measured, appropriate and effective response. They owe it to the fans to do so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bearsinbath said:

Don't think I've ever read a bad article from you Dart!

Sound as ever! Not so sure about his career though? Sunday Gherald?

Irrespective of who he works for bud - its disappointing that breaching editorial guidelines appears to be of little concern within that industry

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Superb as ever D'art...The Police Federation's Callum Steele is another who should be apologising for his two bobs worth of mince he threw into the whole affair...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

I suspect RB, and hope, they are taking their time to issue a measured, appropriate and effective response. They owe it to the fans to do so

I fear that this will not be the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know what Liverpool did after Hillsborough and the Sun, about time our fans started the same boycott of this shit paper and never contemplate buying it again (let alone quoting links in here). Fuck them and let them die, I know it is not the same context but the lying bastards will just move on to the next excuse at some shit flinging at us and some of our members still pay for that piece of shit.

Could also do with our board not speaking to them but lets see if they can stay away from the headlines.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

Like a mighty gavel thundering down on the bench, the IPSO ruling on the Daily Record story produced by journalist Jane Hamilton was as powerful as it was damning. For those who have not yet seen it in full it can be found here:

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=03188-16

Perhaps of particular significance is the very detailed “Remedial Action” which IPSO attached to their findings and which subsequently appeared in the Daily Record. I will leave you all to draw your own conclusions on that one.

The entailment of the findings, and any disciplinary action deemed necessary by either the Daily Record or Police Scotland, will of course rest with organisations which both our club and support have little or no influence. And it’s at this point I would stress caution.

Perhaps some of you will remember the fabrication of a story in respect of another group of Rangers supporters – Vanguard Bears – and on this occasion also IPSO were involved and ruled in favour of the complaint raised.

https://immortalrangers.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/the-sunday-herald-the-war-on-truth/

The same Neil McKay is now The Editor of the Sunday Herald – it seems this breach of editorial guidelines did his career no harm whatsoever.

If these series of events has not convinced you that our club needs a powerful, effective supporters organisation capable of responding to slurs against either our club or support – then frankly I don’t know what will. What a lot of you won’t know however is that following the publication of the Hamilton story elements of the Club 1872 working group were working tirelessly in the background building an irrefutable case proving, beyond any reasonable doubt, that Hamilton’s story was total fabrication. And I know this because I was contacted personally and was able to furnish them with some details to further their objective.

One is left to ponder if the same tawdry procedures, failure to adhere to normal editorial guidelines, and other failings highlighted by IPSO would have been present had this been any other group or collection of people other than Rangers supporters.

No-one needs told what the potential consequences were of this fabricated story and the impact they could have had on retrospective investigations into the Cup Final aftermath. The seriousness of this matter, the attempts to lay blame with the Rangers support for the failing of others, should guide our board into an appropriate response, considering all the circumstances, to the newspaper in question.

The back of the camel is already broken – this incident should prove to be the final straw.

The record Getting smacked by IPSO will be like getting yelped at by a Labrador puppie. But unfortunately that's the only recourse there is - look at the Sun never stops doing fuck all ! 

Next time there is a shite story that sells papers whether about us or others. Love a free press but it should come with responsibility - I'll not hold my breath 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, D'Artagnan said:

Like a mighty gavel thundering down on the bench, the IPSO ruling on the Daily Record story produced by journalist Jane Hamilton was as powerful as it was damning. For those who have not yet seen it in full it can be found here:

https://www.ipso.co.uk/rulings-and-resolution-statements/ruling/?id=03188-16

Perhaps of particular significance is the very detailed “Remedial Action” which IPSO attached to their findings and which subsequently appeared in the Daily Record. I will leave you all to draw your own conclusions on that one.

The entailment of the findings, and any disciplinary action deemed necessary by either the Daily Record or Police Scotland, will of course rest with organisations which both our club and support have little or no influence. And it’s at this point I would stress caution.

Perhaps some of you will remember the fabrication of a story in respect of another group of Rangers supporters – Vanguard Bears – and on this occasion also IPSO were involved and ruled in favour of the complaint raised.

https://immortalrangers.wordpress.com/2014/09/24/the-sunday-herald-the-war-on-truth/

The same Neil McKay is now The Editor of the Sunday Herald – it seems this breach of editorial guidelines did his career no harm whatsoever.

If these series of events has not convinced you that our club needs a powerful, effective supporters organisation capable of responding to slurs against either our club or support – then frankly I don’t know what will. What a lot of you won’t know however is that following the publication of the Hamilton story elements of the Club 1872 working group were working tirelessly in the background building an irrefutable case proving, beyond any reasonable doubt, that Hamilton’s story was total fabrication. And I know this because I was contacted personally and was able to furnish them with some details to further their objective.

One is left to ponder if the same tawdry procedures, failure to adhere to normal editorial guidelines, and other failings highlighted by IPSO would have been present had this been any other group or collection of people other than Rangers supporters.

No-one needs told what the potential consequences were of this fabricated story and the impact they could have had on retrospective investigations into the Cup Final aftermath. The seriousness of this matter, the attempts to lay blame with the Rangers support for the failing of others, should guide our board into an appropriate response, considering all the circumstances, to the newspaper in question.

The back of the camel is already broken – this incident should prove to be the final straw.

Another fine post D'Art. 

I agree that we need a fans group to speak out on our behalf, and have to say the statement by C1872 was quite impressive , but the proof will be on how Rangers react to being asked to ' take this matter up with the dr ' . 

This will be the first real test to see how serious Rangers will take C1872's recommendations . I certainly hope they do . 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have lived without this arse wipe since the 70's and only ever get to see what they have printed on these pages. Might even boycott the bastards on any thread associated with them on these pages.
The bottom line is they could not give a fuckin toss what we think of them,but the fact they got the story out there in the first place is what they are all about.
They can issue all the retractions all day every day but will never apologise about any story concerning Rangers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now