Rangers Sign Military Covenant

Banner

http://forces.tv/35831834

Rangers have become the first major football club in Scotland to sign the Armed Forces covenant.

The pledge, to recognise the contribution of serving personnel, veterans and their families, was made to the Deputy Commander of 51st Infantry Brigade at an event at the club's Ibrox Stadium.

The Glasgow-based team has long-standing links with the military and will now offer discounted rates for forces personnel at home games.

In recent years it has taken part in a number of initiatives including piloting a new course which aims to help ex-servicemen and women overcome drink or drug addictions.

WATCH: Rangers Offer Help To Addicted Veterans 

Players from the Scottish Premiership side have also helped coach British Army soldiers including those from the Edinburgh-based 3 Rifles (The 3rd Battalion The Rifles).

Putting them through their paces were coaches Billy Kirkwood and Colin Stewart but also a man who has seen his fair share of action on the pitch. Former Scotland international and Rangers and Kilmarnock player Ian Durrant.

"My Uncle served in the Navy, so we do have a connection in terms of the armed forces. It was great to see them, and I think they enjoyed it..." 

The Rangers Charity Foundation, which donated £25,000 to forces charities at the end of last season, has once again pledged a further £25,000 for season 2016/17. 

The charities which will benefit from this year’s Armed Forces Partnership are Poppy Scotland, The Rifles Regimental Trust’s Care For Casualties appeal, Combat Stress and Erskine. 

Connal Cochrane, Director of the Rangers Charity Foundation added, “We’re delighted to continue our long association with charities connected to the Armed Services by assisting these four important causes this season. 

The projects we have pledged to support represent a cross section of the types of issues serving personnel and veterans face, from dealing with injury and ill health through to rebuilding their lives after leaving the services.

We hope our combined donations of £25,000 at the end of the season will ensure that veterans and serving personnel who need help will get the care and support they deserve.”

18 minutes ago, BOOTNECK-BEAR said:

Does this mean I don't need a season ticket just show my ID and in I go :pipe:

Good to see the club doing its piece, however I would prefer they stood up for us on other issues, last weekends sectarian hatred and the ongoing saga of the SCF. 

Get that RN id card out bootie. 

Sometimes we really do things right, this is one of those times. I am so proud to be a bluenose and although I didn't serve myself, my dad and uncles did during the war. 

I'll not hold my breath waiting for any messages saying well done from the FM's office, or from lieswell and his sfa puppets.