Hats off to Paul Murray

thehost

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, HG5 said:

Maybe someone earlier was better at the free transfer market than our current expert at bargain hunting....

I really think it's just a big part of the type of player MW signs. All of them are talented players and when they are on form they are arguably a match for anyone in Scotland. The big problem is that, almost to a man, none of them have ever had long periods of being a first team player somewhere with massive expectations on them. Going through every Rangers team in history there's never been one I can think of where there's ONE guy who's seen it all, and done it all and knows (and has performed at) the level needed to be a success here. And he's almost finished.

Just now, The Dude said:

I really think it's just a big part of the type of player MW signs. All of them are talented players and when they are on form they are arguably a match for anyone in Scotland. The big problem is that, almost to a man, none of them have ever had long periods of being a first team player somewhere with massive expectations on them. Going through every Rangers team in history there's never been one I can think of where there's ONE guy who's seen it all, and done it all and knows (and has performed at) the level needed to be a success here. And he's almost finished.

You're spot on with that.

As you say, they're all talented enough, but there's a reason why these guys haven't been regulars at previous clubs, be it attitude, fitness (we're seeing a lot of that one lately, between injury & lack of condition) or whatever.

I got shot down for being critical of the lack of game time most of last year's recruits had, some over numbers of seasons.

I'm not happy that one by one, they're all proving me right & it was already showing as we ran out of steam at the end of last season.

Of course, if these guys all had had terrific track records, they'd have been beyond our reach.

I wasn't sure that many of them would 'train on' & be ready for the step up, but they've not been helped at all by the new recruits who, to a man, have offered absolutely nothing. (Honourable exception Gilks, who's not let a goal in yet!)

1 hour ago, B1872 said:

What is the net spend of us and the tarriers? I don't think for one second that Mark Warburton doesn't get the final say in transfers.

Firstly, the net spend matters not a jot, as they are dealing with a much higher quality player in the transfer market. They sell a player on at £10 mil. Bring two in for £6mil. Profit £4mil. Spot the difference?! Fuck, they only spent £5mil just to get a fucking manager in. We are not on the same playing field.

As for final say. Have you conveniently forgotten the Lescott embarassment, that was quietly sweep, sweep and not a fucking word against this excuse of a board. The propaganda spin, Glesga too far for the family and he signs for AEK Athens the following week. Aye right!

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Our net transfer spend this summer was higher than Celtic's

What a stupid thing to say, only an appeaser could make such an irrelevant point. In case you never noticed our rivals are the league champions and therefore don't have to spend more than a promoted side full of has and never beens to continue to win the league. We are coming from a position miles behind and the only way to catch up was and is to fund the squad massively. The current board don't have the finance to bridge the gap and never will.

1 minute ago, AlCapone said:

What a stupid thing to say, only an appeaser could make such an irrelevant point. In case you never noticed our rivals are the league champions and therefore don't have to spend more than a promoted side full of has and never beens to continue to win the league. We are coming from a position miles behind and the only way to catch up was and is to fund the squad massively. The current board don't have the finance to bridge the gap and never will.

And in terms of what we actually spent, we put down more cash than they did. What they spent was recouped by selling other players. Warburton spent what he wanted to spend. What signings did we miss out on since the board refused to spend money? Which of Warburtons targets did we miss out on? Or did these ones all magically manage to be kept top-secret despite the inability to keep an argument in the dressing room in the dressing room?

I'm no King fan. He's a despicable man who shouldn't be at our club, is not, in my opinion, a Rangers fan and who has no intention of honouring his empty promises on funding when he was attempting to gain power at a rock bottom price while destabilising the club.

Now he's here, the best we can hope for is ST money providing a buffer between us and the other 10 teams in the league and, over time, the board making business decisions along the lines of Fergus McCann to provide long-term financial income to increase the team strength to eventually challenge celtic. He refused Burns cash for a player to develop a hospitality suite which is still generating money. It was unpopular but proved to be the right thing to do in the long term.

Throwing 30 Million at Partick Thistle would buy short term success. We need long term stability and although short term financial input in the hope of securing CL money would be nice, it's risky and is probably not going to happen.

it's equally unlikely that anyone is going to swoop in throwing money around with no hope of a return so I feel we have to accept that we are likely to be in a medium term low with hopefully a few high points along the way with a developing team.

Everyone has the right to voice their displeasure at the team, management and, especially, the board, but the fan base splits, name calling and categorisations that is going on isn't doing anybody any favours.

I rarely post outside the match threads so fully expect the usual accusations to be thrown about but really I'm just a cynical old man who has seen it and lived through it all before. Hopefully, this'll be the last time!

43 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Scepovic and Johanssen. Fisher was undisclosed as was Kazim-Richards

Did the Scepovic deal not fall through?

How much did they get for Johanssen? Remember they paid out about £5m-6m on the players they brought in. We must have spent about £3m tops. Dont know if they would have got £3m for Johanssen and think the others were probably given away for free, although I have no idea who Fisher is??

It's a bit of both - the tinted specs are now off for most on here.

Firstly, there are only five or six players in our whole squad worthy of the jersey. It's going to need the funds to get firstly, and as an absolute priority, two centre half's. The league really is over because this squad is incapable of going on a unbeaten run. It simply won't happen. So next season the dhims get another shot at the champions league and the money that goes with it. If that happens in the next 2-3 seasons then 10 in a row becomes distinctly possible 

Dave King over to you and your promises 

Secondly, MW continually turns a blind eye to the problems in defence. In the summer he bought Barton, Rossiter and Garner- are they better than halliday and waghorn for example? Imo they're not. And he has to be held account for continuing almost unabated as our defence fails us week in and week out. And will continue to fail us 

I'm willing to give MW more time but he needs a decent war chest or else this is all going to end in tears. 

11 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And in terms of what we actually spent, we put down more cash than they did. What they spent was recouped by selling other players. Warburton spent what he wanted to spend. What signings did we miss out on since the board refused to spend money? Which of Warburtons targets did we miss out on? Or did these ones all magically manage to be kept top-secret despite the inability to keep an argument in the dressing room in the dressing room?

You really don't understand it do you? 

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Did the Scepovic deal not fall through?

How much did they get for Johanssen? Remember they paid out about £5m-6m on the players they brought in. We must have spent about £3m tops. Dont know if they would have got £3m for Johanssen and think the others were probably given away for free, although I have no idea who Fisher is??

No that was Simunovic. Had that went through they'd have made a profit.  Fisher was a right back Lennon was a fan of, went to Rotherham

1m for scepovic

2m for johanssen

5 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

It's a bit of both - the tinted specs are now off for most on here.

Firstly, there are only five or six players in our whole squad worthy of the jersey. It's going to need the funds to get firstly, and as an absolute priority, two centre half's. The league really is over because this squad is incapable of going on a unbeaten run. It simply won't happen. So next season the dhims get another shot at the champions league and the money that goes with it. If that happens in the next 2-3 seasons then 10 in a row becomes distinctly possible 

Dave King over to you and your promises 

Secondly, MW continually turns a blind eye to the problems in defence. In the summer he bought Barton, Rossiter and Garner- are they better than halliday and waghorn for example? Imo they're not. And he has to be held account for continuing almost unabated as our defence fails us week in and week out. And will continue to fail us 

I'm willing to give MW more time but he needs a decent war chest or else this is all going to end in tears. 

Who's your 5 or 6 mate?  I don't see it.  Said to a few lads earlier, the club's too big for the vast majority of this team. 

7 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

They are correct though, the board should take some blame.

They just aint consistent!

I don't see where it's the boards fault we are predictable. It's not the players' ability that's in question tbh but their tactical instruction. I have absolutely no doubt that we have a squad more than capable to put up a title challenge and beat every team in the league. With a few handy results here and there we could have made it close but Warburton has made changes to our style of play that have made us very easy to play against and just invites sides to sit in and defend. We aren't quick enough in possession and dont move the ball around quickly enough. Take a look at Man City's goal against Swansea the other night. Look how quickly the players move and create passing opportunites and how quickly the ball is moved on. Then look how slowly we do things. Folk said Barton and Niko slowed our play down. Neither was anywhere to be seen until late on today and we were just as slow and toothless.

Now, if that's Dave King's fault I'd LOVE to hear why.

EDIT: Here's that goal

1 minute ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Who's your 5 or 6 mate?  I don't see it.  Said to a few lads earlier, the club's too big for the vast majority of this team. 

This could be a new thread on its on but here goes 

Foz, Tav, Wallace, Halliday, Rossiter and McKay - I'm both writing off Windass and crooks 

Even in that list you could argue they've not set the heather on fire but with better players around them ............