Realistically who would you have as Rangers manager?

Jamie0202

Apologies to the few who thinks this thread is disrespectful to Mark Warburton while he's still in the job but if we're going to have threads questioning whether he should be sacked then surely we must have an opinion on who should be next manager?

There's quite a few Warburton threads on the first page of The Bears' Den. This thread isn't to discuss Mark Warburton or the management team and their respective weaknesses. This thread is purely to discuss who would be the best replacement.

A few names spring to mind but not one clear and obvious candidate. McLeish and McInnes would be favourites as would de Boer (purely because he's played for us before and is immediately available). McLeish I would reluctantly take and that says a lot because I remember the protests after one of the league games outside Ibrox calling for his head when we languished in third position behind Hearts. McInnes would be a gamble as he's done okay with Aberdeen (and again is an ex-Ranger - something common with a lot of names which would be in the running). McInnes is on a par with McCall IMO - managed a team to being the best of the rest. How many would take McCall back? Walter's name will obviously be mentioned. He would be my first choice but he's served us incredibly well and has earned the right to retire in peace so we need to leave that one be. A few more names will be up there:-

Billy Davis - Done fuck all to merit the Rangers manager's job and not sure why his name keeps getting brought up every time we need a new manager.

Souness - Would kick some arses but not managed in 10 years and hasn't won a league as a manager since he left us.

There's obvious names I've missed but none who stand out. To sum up if I'm being realistic it would be Alex McLeish.

Thoughts?

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

Apologies to the few who thinks this thread is disrespectful to Mark Warburton while he's still in the job but if we're going to have threads questioning whether he should be sacked then surely we must have an opinion on who should be next manager?

There's quite a few Warburton threads on the first page of The Bears' Den. This thread isn't to discuss Mark Warburton or the management team and their respective weaknesses. This thread is purely to discuss who would be the best replacement.

A few names spring to mind but not one clear and obvious candidate. McLeish and McInnes would be favourites as would de Boer (purely because he's played for us before and is immediately available). McLeish I would reluctantly take and that says a lot because I remember the protests after one of the league games outside Ibrox calling for his head when we languished in third position behind Hearts. McInnes would be a gamble as he's done okay with Aberdeen (and again is an ex-Ranger - something common with a lot of names which would be in the running). McInnes is on a par with McCall IMO - managed a team to being the best of the rest. How many would take McCall back? Walter's name will obviously be mentioned. He would be my first choice but he's served us incredibly well and has earned the right to retire in peace so we need to leave that one be. A few more names will be up there:-

Billy Davis - Done fuck all to merit the Rangers manager's job and not sure why his name keeps getting brought up every time we need a new manager.

Souness - Would kick some arses but not managed in 10 years and hasn't won a league as a manager since he left us.

There's obvious names I've missed but none who stand out. To sum up if I'm being realistic it would be Alex McLeish.

Thoughts?

Don't agree with 1 bit, not saying ur wrong it's just ur opinion  but when I seen the thread I could've said the names before u did before I read on anymore. We will never progress if we keep going back to the likes of Mcleish. Move on or at least think outside the box 

Just now, bluewhitevanman said:

Don't agree with 1 bit, not saying ur wrong it's just ur opinion  but when I seen the thread I could've said the names before did before I read on anymore. We will never progress if we keep going back to the likes of Mcleish. Move on or at least think outside the box 

I did say I would reluctantly take McLeish. I agree about thinking outside the usual ex-Ranger related names but who and more importantly who can we afford? And who would come knowing they have a meagre budget to work with?

Just now, AlCapone said:

it doesn't matter, all that matters for rangers is winning the league and without investment that will never happen

I think the manager and players can do a lot better but in terms of Rangers being where we should be I agree it does come back to a lack of investment.

4 minutes ago, AlCapone said:

it doesn't matter, all that matters for rangers is winning the league and without investment that will never happen

2 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

I think the manager and players can do a lot better but in terms of Rangers being where we should be I agree it does come back to a lack of investment.

I agree but at this rate we're not going to even finish second. If we got investment then who would be best to spend it?

7 minutes ago, ThatNightInFlorence said:

There seems to be a few on here who reckon they could do the job better so it should be easy finding someone. 

In all seriousness I would probably put Nigel Pearson's name forward over the usual pish that comes up Davies, McInnes etc. 

Please god no.

6 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

He will be mentioned though when the time comes.

Walter has retired also. I've seen his name mentioned in a few different threads today...

Anyone that mentions either of them as a potential replacement for Warburton is a full blown mongo.

If big Sam was good enough for the English job then he's good enough for us.

Yes he comes with a lot of baggage but our clubs reputation is tarnished at every opportunity so his would make no difference to the mhedia up here.

Maybe his wages wouldn't be an issue after all the  cash he's made on backhanders and maybe he'd jump right back into management after his last escapade.  Seems like a guy who doesn't really give a fuck about what's going on around him.