UFC Conor McGregor VS Floyd Mayweather

Rambo1872

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McGregor likes to stand and fight, even in the UFC

for talking sake , if FM was in with him, MMA rules, you would still fancy him if the fight was standing 

CM would prob then Bruce lee his ass but it would be good to see it standing up with no gloves 

• 2 weeks later...

Conor has been granted his boxing license in California and in the process of applying for a bunch of other states too!

There was an article a while ago saying how he'd be eligible under the Ali Act since he has/had a boxing license and loopholes in litigation could allow it or some shit, I can't recall 100%

I still can't imagine they'd be coming to an agreement on money any time soon but these license applications could be a fucking start to this fight actually happening. One last massive fucking payday for Floyd (and Conor at this point actually...) 

Found the article:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/5/13/11669764/conor-mcgregor-vs-floyd-mayweather-without-ufc-permission 

"Is there any way McGregor could take this bout without the UFC's consent? Well, after speaking to a few individuals (the most significant of whom was attorney Sam Spira, who represents Randy Couture and Victor Ortiz) who are very familiar with the legal ins and outs of both boxing and UFC contracts the answer seems to be a definitive... maybe?

The strategy they offer is not for the faint of heart. It promises no guarantees and is full of financial risks, but if McGregor is adamant about having a match with Mayweather this would probably be his best and perhaps only option. It involved 3 simples steps (at least for purposes of discussion, obviously, any such action would involve a host of issues, legal and otherwise):

Step 1 would be for Conor McGregor to attain a boxing license, preferably in New York or California.

Step 2 would be for Mayweather and McGregor to book a match against each other. Again it was suggested that New York or California would be the preferable location.

As soon as it was announced that Mayweather vs McGregor was booked the UFC would likely file an injunction, claiming a breach of contract, with a court in Nevada. As all UFC contracts stipulate that all such disputes are to be settled in Nevada this is pretty much a given. But before they can do that it's recommended that McGregor move on to

Step 3, and immediately file for declaratory relief against the UFC citing the Muhammad Ali Reform Boxing Act's provision against coercive contracts to make the claim that the restrictive provision in the UFC's contract is restraining McGregor from boxing, and that he is a licensed boxer under an applicable boxing commission falling under the jurisdiction of the ABC.

This might sound absurd, but remember as a licensed boxer McGregor would now (theoretically) be covered by the Ali Act. Sec. 10 of the Act offers protection from coercive provisions, and a provision that prevents someone from boxing at all could possibly be interpreted as a restraint of trade. This is reinforced by the fact that the promoter has a provision in their own contracts claiming exclusive rights over any "mixed martial art, martial art, boxing, professional wrestling, or any other fighting competition or exhibition" the fighter engages in. This would seem to make the UFC a promoter of all combat sports, including boxing. In which case, the contract would be illegal (or at least illegal in part) under existing Federal law.

Furthermore, if the contract is illegal does any hearing on it have to take place in Nevada as required by the (possibly illegal) contract? If not, then not only can another state preside over the dispute, but that state's laws can also come into play."

There's a bit more to the article than that certainly, but I found it really interesting that their speculation back in May has came to fruition... kind of...  

I still can't see it happening but I'm very intrigued all the same! :lol:

McGregor would lose to any top 100 ranked boxer in ANY division close to his weight imo. There is just far too much of a jump from 'All around striking' to jumping in a ring and boxing for 12 rounds. Just like how Floyd wouldn't last 10 seconds in a MMA or K1 match

2 hours ago, JamieD said:

McGregor has gone five rounds once in his life. Even if he's past it and throws powder puff punches, Floyd would get his first legit stoppage since Hatton after turning McGregor's face into pizza during the championship rounds.

This I want to see

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

So, Dana White has officially offered Mayweather and Conor $25m to fight each other and is open to discussions / negotiations on the PPV cuts for both guys

Fucking mental!

Initial thought is that amount is too low to get this shit in motion :lol:

Mayweather will want more than that. 

Doubt this fight will happen but if it did then Floyd would win very convincingly. He is not known for knocking out opponents but I think he would put CM on his arse a few times during the fight. I would love to see Floyd knock that prick out but either way he will silence the loud mouthed twat once and for all. 

Mayweather is in a different league when it comes to fighting. McGregor shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as him. McG is obviously solid but his actual fighting abilities are exaggerated because of his personality and the fact everyone sucks up his arse, in my opinion anyway  

Mayweather is leaner, faster, fitter and more disciplined and when CM inevitably starts to tire, FM would knock him on his arse.

Maybe I'm being biased because I prefer boxing but IMO a boxer will always have more power in the ring than an MMA fighter 

34 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Mayweather is in a different league when it comes to fighting. McGregor shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as him. McG is obviously solid but his actual fighting abilities are exaggerated because of his personality and the fact everyone sucks up his arse, in my opinion anyway  

Mayweather is leaner, faster, fitter and more disciplined and when CM inevitably starts to tire, FM would knock him on his arse.

Maybe I'm being biased because I prefer boxing but IMO a boxer will always have more power in the ring than an MMA fighter 

Totally different sports I'd expect any top mma athletes to smash boxers in a fight but in the sport of boxing I can't think of 1 mma fighter that could even compete at the top level

On 14/01/2017 at 5:54 PM, TheLoudenTavernier said:

Literally a day or 2 after Mayweather has said he won't fight for less than $100m, Dana White offers him $25m.

In other words, it's never happening.

Did Mayweather mean $100m plus PPV though?