Windass

BlueAvenger

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, plumbGER said:

He's your typical young Scottish player, lets his head drop if things don't go his way early doors or he gets booted.

I agree with the bit about Warburton persisting with him when he was clearly off form, but i wouldn't go as far as say i had lost faith in him.

Teams were doubling up, sometimes more , on him and restricting any space he had to work with the ball.

I don't think his attitude is the problem, ok he has shat out of a few tackles but he is on the pitch and he knows better than us if he is likely to win the ball or not.

He has had some pretty rough treatment from hammer-throwers and very little protection from referees.

At 21 years of age time is on his side to really kick on and become the player his superb technical ability allows him to be.

? i think I forget he's so young cause he's been part of the team for as long! 

I do expect a lot from him but I've liked what I've seen and I know there's something there! 

I would still like to see him showing a bit more urgency and having the confidence to take his man on! 

Maybe warburton should be highlighting in his interviews about him getting more protection from refs although I can't see it making any difference but he's on the periphery of the Scotland squad so obviously it would make sense for our refs to protect him if they want the best out of him for the national side

He made his debut at 17, hard to imagine but that's just where we were at the time.

Even at that time it was him and wee Lewis MacLeod who got you on the edge of your seat in an otherwise lacklustre team.

I agree with your point about taking on his man more, he has the pace to do so but i think the reason he has stopped is that he beats the first man and there is another 2 or 3 waiting behind as teams park the bus.

We play in a country where managers (Burchill) can come out with the shite they come out with unchallenged, so any protection is not going to be forthcoming.

We need players on the park who can protect our young players like McKay but the team as it stands lacks a Souness or Hurlock type player.

1 hour ago, To Be A Ranger said:

I think Mckays getting a tad too much flak. He's got good pace and can take a high pass at ease on the run. Beats men easily but needs more help around him. He is making a few wrong decisions at the moment but has shown he can be one of our best players.

I agree. His 1st touch is immaculate. 

Confidence is low but hopefully he'll dig his way out of this rut. 

Ibrox being on his back and waiting for him to make mistakes certainly won't help him. 

2 hours ago, To Be A Ranger said:

I think Mckays getting a tad too much flak. He's got good pace and can take a high pass at ease on the run. Beats men easily but needs more help around him. He is making a few wrong decisions at the moment but has shown he can be one of our best players.

Shites out 50/50s all the time, wee shitebag that he is.

Why are some defending Mckays hopeless performance with his age?

If you're good enough you're old enough, if that attitude is adopted when a player i  playing well enough at a young age to get in the team, we shouldnt then be defending poor performances with his age. This is Rangers Barrie, man the fuck up son.

2 hours ago, gsa said:

I agree. His 1st touch is immaculate. 

Confidence is low but hopefully he'll dig his way out of this rut. 

Ibrox being on his back and waiting for him to make mistakes certainly won't help him. 

Agreed. His first touch is absolutely outstanding. 

For those complaining about him shiting out of tackles - he's about 5'6 and 9 stone if he's lucky. If he dives into a 50/50 with Ross Tokely he could conceivably be out for months. 

He's a talented boy, who lacks confidence currenty. The amount of folk jumping on the 'wee hate McKay' bandwagon is an absolute disgrace, but not unlike our fans. For some reason there's always a scapegoat at Ibrox. 

6 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

For those complaining about him shiting out of tackles - he's about 5'6 and 9 stone if he's lucky. If he dives into a 50/50 with Ross Tokely he could conceivably be out for months. 

He's a talented boy, who lacks confidence currenty. The amount of folk jumping on the 'wee hate McKay' bandwagon is an absolute disgrace, but not unlike our fans. For some reason there's always a scapegoat at Ibrox. 

For the life of me I can't understand shut its a young boy who's only ever done his best. Been at the club for years, was a rare bright point in our 3rd division season and is clearly technically gifted. 

If you combined his touch with great pace, power and consistent end product you'd have an elite player and he wouldn't still be with us.

People need to wisen up. 

9 minutes ago, gsa said:

If you combined his touch with great pace, power and consistent end product you'd have an elite player and he wouldn't still be with us.

People need to wisen up. 

Totally agree

We need to encourage our young players - not slaughter them.

A far better player than he gets credit for, in my opinion 

For me the ends justified the means with the subs. The result and the influence of the subs on it mean MW got it right IMO.

Did think it was a strange decision at the time, but also don't think Windass was quite as influential in the game as suggested.

Windass injured again? 

Article on the website suggests he has picked up another knock. I'm hoping it was precautionary because he was very good on Sat, however the pessimist in me is saying that he is injured as MW and the club in general fail to tell the supports the extent of injuries e.g. Rossiter.

Probably/hopefully nothing in it though (tu) 

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Good post (tu) I also think Barrie is not really a winger, but I think he will develop into the number he wears on his back.

Not sure why this thread about Windass who has talent but not means outstanding either has turned into a McKay bashing thread. :gerbad:

34 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Good post (tu) I also think Barrie is not really a winger, but I think he will develop into the number he wears on his back.

Not sure why this thread about Windass who has talent but not means outstanding either has turned into a McKay bashing thread. :gerbad:

..... possibly because the ones' bashing Barrie are pissed off that he had a hand in the build up to the winning goal ..... making a mockery of them and their booing ..... perhaps?

"It's a funny old game" ...:P

:uk:

Just caught STV News there and the first thing Raman referred to when talking about us, and i'm paraphrasing was along the lines of 'Warburton defends decision to sub Windass despite protests from fans', only then to go on about the result. You'd think the result was significantly more important than a manager making a substitution!

I think it's a bit of a mountain out of a molehill IMO. Windass IMO has shown enough to me to suggest he is a very bright player. I think he has some really great attributes and when fully fit, injury free and feeling confident will become a big player for us. On Saturday I was surprised he came off. He had a great 45 but I think any time I have seen him he does tend to tail off a little as the game progresses. Also, his season has been so stop start with injury and fitness concerns, not to mention our indifferent start. Therefore I can see Warburton's reasoning for taking him off. As frustrating as it was the last thing we need is him being out injured again. We need to look after him, wrap him in cotton wool and think more long term.

Hopefully in a few weeks he'll be fully fit, injury free and capable of influencing games for the full 90 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

..... possibly because the ones' bashing Barrie are pissed off that he had a hand in the build up to the winning goal ..... making a mockery of them and their booing ..... perhaps?

"It's a funny old game" ...:P

:uk:

Funny old game indeed, I am probably in the minority on RM thinking that Barrie will become a great player for us, but it is my opinion and do not intend to change it for a while yet. :thumbup:

Found this on the Rangers website a wee while ago from MW, and it covers both players:

Monday, 21 November 2016, 17:00

by Nick Thomson

MARK WARBURTON believes Josh Windass played his best half of football in a Rangers jersey on Saturday and revealed he had to be replaced having picked up a knock.

Windass’ withdrawal after 65 minutes to make way for Barrie McKay saw some supporters in the Ibrox stands voice their displeasure at the decision, but Warburton insisted the move was purely in Windass’ best interests having already seen his early days at the club partially hampered by injuries.

Speaking exclusively this afternoon to RangersTV.tv at the Rangers Training Centre, Warburton explained: “Josh Windass is a young player who did exceptionally well – and I feel played his best half of football for Rangers in my mind. But for one, he had a kick on the ankle which stopped him training this morning, and I hope very much the crowd realise there was a reason why we were taking off a player who had been very effective up to that point.

“For young players, when fatigue kicks in, that’s when they get the niggling injuries – hamstrings and whatever else have interrupted his performances for Rangers. We have got to do the right thing for our young players and you look at the demands on their shoulders. Last year he was playing for Accrington and this year he is playing in front of 50,000 at Ibrox. The demands on such young shoulders are extensive and we have got to look after our players.

“I hope very much the crowd see why we did it, and also see the boys who came on had a good impact.”

Windass’ replacement McKay had a great impact on the game with his typical dynamism coming to the fore, even though he played the role in a deeper midfield role as opposed to the wing berth fans have become accustomed to seeing him in.

He has spent much of his time in recent weeks on the substitutes bench, but Warburton feels his spell out of the starting XI will have been a benefit to him.

The manager continued: “Barrie came on first and was superb. He drove us up the pitch and was bright, full of energy, was clever and looked to move the ball.

“Barrie is such a talented player, and you know what I think of Barrie McKay and how good a career he can have ahead of him. But he has had a lot of games with Rangers, been away with Scotland, and these couple of weeks have helped him to recharge the batteries.

“Barrie is good enough on the football to do that [play in midfield]. It’s a challenge for a young, attacking player like Barrie for his defensive responsibilities, and when the ball breaks down where does he need to be and what areas he needs to fill.

“It’s making sure if a player does that they understand the role they need to fill, but he can play wide left, wide right, number eight or number 10, and he has that flexibility we have talked about so much in the past. I’m delighted for him to see him that way, and credit to him for working hard and I think he will have a very big career ahead of him.

“He looked very bright and played in the 20s game last week and looked really good. He has a great work ethic and great commitment, and he took that into the game on Saturday.”

Warburton was speaking exclusively to RangersTV today. Subscribers can click HERE to watch the full interview.

34 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

Funny old game indeed, I am probably in the minority on RM thinking that Barrie will become a great player for us, but it is my opinion and do not intend to change it for a while yet. :thumbup:

Found this on the Rangers website a wee while ago from MW, and it covers both players:

Monday, 21 November 2016, 17:00

by Nick Thomson

MARK WARBURTON believes Josh Windass played his best half of football in a Rangers jersey on Saturday and revealed he had to be replaced having picked up a knock.

Windass’ withdrawal after 65 minutes to make way for Barrie McKay saw some supporters in the Ibrox stands voice their displeasure at the decision, but Warburton insisted the move was purely in Windass’ best interests having already seen his early days at the club partially hampered by injuries.

Speaking exclusively this afternoon to RangersTV.tv at the Rangers Training Centre, Warburton explained: “Josh Windass is a young player who did exceptionally well – and I feel played his best half of football for Rangers in my mind. But for one, he had a kick on the ankle which stopped him training this morning, and I hope very much the crowd realise there was a reason why we were taking off a player who had been very effective up to that point.

“For young players, when fatigue kicks in, that’s when they get the niggling injuries – hamstrings and whatever else have interrupted his performances for Rangers. We have got to do the right thing for our young players and you look at the demands on their shoulders. Last year he was playing for Accrington and this year he is playing in front of 50,000 at Ibrox. The demands on such young shoulders are extensive and we have got to look after our players.

“I hope very much the crowd see why we did it, and also see the boys who came on had a good impact.”

Windass’ replacement McKay had a great impact on the game with his typical dynamism coming to the fore, even though he played the role in a deeper midfield role as opposed to the wing berth fans have become accustomed to seeing him in.

He has spent much of his time in recent weeks on the substitutes bench, but Warburton feels his spell out of the starting XI will have been a benefit to him.

The manager continued: “Barrie came on first and was superb. He drove us up the pitch and was bright, full of energy, was clever and looked to move the ball.

“Barrie is such a talented player, and you know what I think of Barrie McKay and how good a career he can have ahead of him. But he has had a lot of games with Rangers, been away with Scotland, and these couple of weeks have helped him to recharge the batteries.

“Barrie is good enough on the football to do that [play in midfield]. It’s a challenge for a young, attacking player like Barrie for his defensive responsibilities, and when the ball breaks down where does he need to be and what areas he needs to fill.

“It’s making sure if a player does that they understand the role they need to fill, but he can play wide left, wide right, number eight or number 10, and he has that flexibility we have talked about so much in the past. I’m delighted for him to see him that way, and credit to him for working hard and I think he will have a very big career ahead of him.

“He looked very bright and played in the 20s game last week and looked really good. He has a great work ethic and great commitment, and he took that into the game on Saturday.”

Warburton was speaking exclusively to RangersTV today. Subscribers can click HERE to watch the full interview.

(tu) 

I also read this Bud, and agree with you that Barrie could be a winner for us.

Both him and Josh are playing in a league they have no real experience of, but with their undoubted (if somewhat mercurial) talents, and of course youth on their side, I'm confident that they will both come up trumps playing for us.

It sometimes takes time for even talented experienced players to produce the goods and go on a run of form, so I like yourself tend to give talented younger players a bit more leeway due to them still learning their trade.

:7325:

13 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

(tu) 

I also read this Bud, and agree with you that Barrie could be a winner for us.

Both him and Josh are playing in a league they have no real experience of, but with their undoubted (if somewhat mercurial) talents, and of course youth on their side, I'm confident that they will both come up trumps playing for us.

It sometimes takes time for even talented experienced players to produce the goods and go on a run of form, so I like yourself tend to give talented younger players a bit more leeway due to them still learning their trade.

:7325:

(tu)