Next 8 games to define this season and the team?

RFCRobertson

As we all know the winter time football is the hardest part of the season both for the squad and the fans. Do you think the next 8 games will define this season and where we are going to finish and the abilities of this squad/Mr warburton? 

Next week we've got Partick Thistle away then 4 days after that it's away to Hearts. 

Then 3 days after that it's Aberdeen at home and then a week after that it's Hearts at home. 

Those 3 games right there mean a lot considering the table standings right now, could potentially go 6 ahead of Hearts and 3 ahead of Aberdeen (especially since their playing Celtic in the final sometime next week) and could really secure our 2nd place.

After those 4 games, we've got Accies away, ICT at home, St J away (another big one to cement our 2nd place) and finally after that, at the end of the year. The Old firm. 

Now I see this playing out two ways, we keep going the way we go and it'll definitely be a fight for 2nd place between us Hearts and Aberdeen. If this team pulls together and starts kicking ass, gets all 9 points from Hearts and Aberdeen and goes on to win every game and beats Celtic at Ibrox then I'd 1st place may not all be lost. But it entirely depends on getting the 24 points from these winter months. Celtic are currently 11 points ahead and Aberdeen are just 1 point ahead. At the end of this year if all goes well we should be at least 2 points ahead of Aberdeen, 6 ahead of Hearts and maximum of 8 points behind Celtic. 

Strengthen the squad in January and make a good push for 1st, but at this point it's really needing Celtic to start slipping up.

UPDATE

So far, 6 points out of 9 with another 5 games to go. 

Most we can leave this month with at this point is 44 points on the table which will be tough considering the old firm. 

If every game from now on is played with the same passion and intensity as Saturdays, we may just be alright  

But we need to get our away form sorted and small teams like Accies and ICT need to be guaranteed 3 pointers. It's small battles like that that win the war.

Regardless be it 5 wins, 5 losses, 5 draws or a combination of the 3: God bless the Rangers 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

We're going to drop points simply because we find it difficult to score goals. Look at the amount of possession we had yesterday. A lot of our football was really good. Most of the game was played in the Dundee half but we just can't score as many as we should 

I'd put our inability to score

25% being unlucky

75% 11 men behind the ball tactics

It's not good defending, they aren't doing anything special they're just throwing men behind the ball and trying to punt the ball as soon as they can in any way they can. 

The first 8 games have already defined our season, outplayed and beaten by the scum, team in disarray and dropping points all over the place

I realised very early on that we need to try and maximise our home advantage to have any chance of getting a shot of Europa League qualification

With a bit of luck in the transfer window next summer, our merchandise deal sorted, all court cases over and done and some additional money to spend on quality players then we can have a real shot at winning the league next year, if the above does not happen then we can look forward to a grim few years

I like your optimism Rab and hope we will finish 1st but I think the damage has already been done but if you are right then you won't see me complaining

With the way we are going I can only see us picking up 1 poing between the aberdeen and hearts game. Hearts rely on set pieces, they score a lot of goals from them which is our Achilles heel, we cant seem to score and keep other teams out which is a big problem, but you never know I guess! 

2 minutes ago, A.T.G said:

The first 8 games have already defined our season, outplayed and beaten by the scum, team in disarray and dropping points all over the place

I realised very early on that we need to try and maximise our home advantage to have any chance of getting a shot of Europa League qualification

With a bit of luck in the transfer window next summer, our merchandise deal sorted, all court cases over and done and some additional money to spend on quality players then we can have a real shot at winning the league next year, if the above does not happen then we can look forward to a grim few years

I like your optimism Rab and hope we will finish 1st but I think the damage has already been done but if you are right then you won't see me complaining

That is very true to the point it hurts. 

@RFCRobertson Like your optimism mate. I too am guilty of this :-)   But you make good points.  Of course.. the biggest issue for us is our inability to score -- combined with being dodgy at the back -- and that's not a recipe to go on a run.

To be honest, I am still waiting -- and have been for almost 7months now -- for the real Rangers team to appear.

(tu)

The good thing is if we can avoid defeat to Hearts then they will still be playing catch up as they are starting to lose points

I don't have any fear of Aberdeen because by all accounts they were lucky to beat us that day but as always we never know which Rangers team turn up on the day and that's the only thing that is frustrating

On our day we can take any team, a bit of a run and our confidence could go sky high, a few poor results and we are scoobied. Aberdeen are not that good and neither are Hearts. We won't be catching Celtic. Even being the most optimistic and expecting them to hit a patch isn't going to be enough. 

Best getting behind the players to help give them the boost and see where it takes us.

Theres absolutely no way back for us to properly challenge. In truth, in those big games - Hearts twice, Aberdeen and Celtic - i can only see 0 wins, 2 or 3 draws and 1 or 2 defeats. 

The way we can salvage this season is to get second and build momentum for next year. That requires investment and improvement in January, prove that we can beat Celtic, produce a title winning standard of form in the final 3rd of the season (the gap already built means we won't win it, but by seasons end we need to prove the capability is there to go on a proper run) and possibly even win the Scottish Cup.

It's unlikely, but that is the blueprint to make this season one of progress if not success - hypothetically, i think that is a team in a position to go and win a title the following year. Will we do all or even any of that? I really don't think so. 

I  never go to a match thinking , we're going to get beat or what's the point in going, but every week is a battle for us just now , wee consistent winning run would be great and just see where it takes us , we ain't anywhere near winning this league though , frustrating as it is we just ain't pal 

None of the others are any better than us , they all raise their game and treat every game against us as a final, its always been that way.

Theres no chance we are good enough to go on a winning streak. The seasons been a failure  long before now , best we can hope for is second and even thats going to be a struggle.