Praise Dundee's tactics? You're having a laugh!

Say what you want about our performances this season but if teams like Dundee decided to open up against us we'd destroy them.

The reason we've struggled this season is due to the fact teams have sat in and tried to frustrate us, not sure why Dundee would be any different.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main point of these negative tactics is that every other team in the league bar cellic do it. Aberdeen even done it at home so 95% of our games in the league will be played this way. When you have the press praising it as a "battling performance" etc it becomes embarrassing. It's so boring to watch and when it works these teams and the media react as if it is the work of some sort of tactical genius. 

When Scott Brown is billed as "arguably the best player in the country" you know there is a lot wrong with Scottish football. This persona of acting like hardmen and tackles that mirror assaults on other professionals footballers is all that's wrong with this country.

14 hours ago, Elfideldo said:

Got us to a European Final, then we never really tried to win it, were hoping for penalties.

The thing is when we did it back then we were hammered from pillar to post for playing anti Football.

Now when teams do it to us their tactics are spot on?

They can do one with that assumption.

It was boring when we did it and it's boring now.

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

The main point of these negative tactics is that every other team in the league bar cellic do it. Aberdeen even done it at home so 95% of our games in the league will be played this way. When you have the press praising it as a "battling performance" etc it becomes embarrassing. It's so boring to watch and when it works these teams and the media react as if it is the work of some sort of tactical genius. 

When Scott Brown is billed as "arguably the best player in the country" you know there is a lot wrong with Scottish football. This persona of acting like hardmen and tackles that mirror assaults on other professionals footballers is all that's wrong with this country.

Well said. 100% agree with every point you make especially re Brown.

Why he gets the praise he does is totally lost on me.

1 hour ago, Canabear said:

Well said. 100% agree with every point you make especially re Brown.

Why he gets the praise he does is totally lost on me.

The thing i always laugh at is the fact the press make a thing about 'the broony' when he stands with the 2 arms out to try intimidate Diouf.

I seen an article that showed a guy on holiday who had it tatooed on his leg getting a picture with legoboy.

Bigging it up and stuff.

What they seemed to have airbrushed from memory is the fact that Diouf absolutely ruined him when we won the league that season:dioufcheer:

4 minutes ago, SuperPapac05 said:

How the fuck can you praise the tactics that LOST you a game? 

The media have praised them, not folk on here AFAIK.

Bottom of league, away at Ibrox, holding out until the 92nd minute.

That's commendable regardless of tactics or how they played.

To counter, we WON so how can folk criticise? Does that work?

Klopp re Southampton...ring any bells?

Jürgen Klopp said Liverpool have “nothing to moan about” after Southampton followed Manchester United’s lead by adopting a defensive approach against a side who have scored 30 Premier League goals this season. Showing little ambition to attack despite playing at home, Southampton held Liverpool to a goalless draw with the sort of tactics that Liverpool may well have to get used to as opponents try to nullify the threat of Klopp’s free-flowing team.

Far from criticising Southampton, Klopp empathised with Claude Puel, his opposite number, and admitted it would be “crazy” for teams to open up against Liverpool. The German said the onus was on Liverpool to find ways to break down obdurate opponents while retaining their concentration at the other end of the pitch – something he took encouragement from at Southampton, where Liverpool enjoyed 65% possession and were rarely troubled at the back.

“I felt we had more possession. My feeling was we had 70%, no problem,” the Liverpool manager said. “If we play this football then it would be crazy to give us space, so why would they do that? That is what we have to work on, it is our job and we have the players for it. It is never easy, you cannot only play counterattack, you cannot only play high-press, you have to prepare for everything.

“There is nothing to moan about, you can’t ask them: ‘Come on, give us a little more space or something?’ Before the season we had to work on this, and that is what I meant when I say we are happy with the performance against Southampton, because again we did well. It isn’t a game where you have 20 chances, we had four or five. That is more than enough, especially how big those chances were.”

27 minutes ago, cushynumber said:

Klopp re Southampton...ring any bells?

Jürgen Klopp said Liverpool have “nothing to moan about” after Southampton followed Manchester United’s lead by adopting a defensive approach against a side who have scored 30 Premier League goals this season. Showing little ambition to attack despite playing at home, Southampton held Liverpool to a goalless draw with the sort of tactics that Liverpool may well have to get used to as opponents try to nullify the threat of Klopp’s free-flowing team.

Far from criticising Southampton, Klopp empathised with Claude Puel, his opposite number, and admitted it would be “crazy” for teams to open up against Liverpool. The German said the onus was on Liverpool to find ways to break down obdurate opponents while retaining their concentration at the other end of the pitch – something he took encouragement from at Southampton, where Liverpool enjoyed 65% possession and were rarely troubled at the back.

“I felt we had more possession. My feeling was we had 70%, no problem,” the Liverpool manager said. “If we play this football then it would be crazy to give us space, so why would they do that? That is what we have to work on, it is our job and we have the players for it. It is never easy, you cannot only play counterattack, you cannot only play high-press, you have to prepare for everything.

“There is nothing to moan about, you can’t ask them: ‘Come on, give us a little more space or something?’ Before the season we had to work on this, and that is what I meant when I say we are happy with the performance against Southampton, because again we did well. It isn’t a game where you have 20 chances, we had four or five. That is more than enough, especially how big those chances were.”

Difference being, it worked for Southampton because they took a point from the game.

Burnley had 30% of the ball vs Liverpool and beat them 2-0.

That deserves credit, not when your tactics ultimately fail at the last minute.

1 hour ago, SuperPapac05 said:

How the fuck can you praise the tactics that LOST you a game? 

:cheers:

That my friend, is IT, in the proverbial nutshell ...... as always when it is against us, the media up here will give the credit to our opposition ..... even when they get Beat .....  even this fact somehow escapes their sense of logic ...... <cr>.

:uk:

There is nothing new in any of this. I can still hear Father, Uncles, Cousins, bringing me back from Ibrox as a kid and bemoaning the fact,that Rangers could not beat a "packed defence" that day. That is going back to many different eras.  Only the terminology has changed to "parking the bus". 

No idea what anyone is on about here, how can Dundee's tactics be typical of Scottish Football when these tactics have only been used against MW's Rangers sides?

I mean, how dare any of you criticise the absolute tactical master-classes on display against us week after week.

Despite our manager making it easy and being predictable, Watty, Dick and Eck can thank themselves lucky they never had to come up against the tactical nous of the likes of Paul Hartley.

29 minutes ago, Orange Persson said:

There is nothing new in any of this. I can still hear Father, Uncles, Cousins, bringing me back from Ibrox as a kid and bemoaning the fact,that Rangers could not beat a "packed defence" that day. That is going back to many different eras.  Only the terminology has changed to "parking the bus". 

No. Its changed to our manager is a fraud (tu)

On 21 November 2016 at 8:07 PM, Truth_is_out_there said:

Spot on. Maybe I didn't put my point across very well, but when you consider the dons are supposed to be one of the top teams in the counrty, and they refuse to have a go at us, I just found it odd, that's all.

It's because we'd play them off the park. We are already far superior when it comes to playing football. Just lack a few telling players and are weak up front and at the back at times. With a bit of money Warburton will embarrass these teams more times than not even if they do park the bus. They are all choking to beat us in the league this season but I doubt any will come close. Once we get better players for next season it won't even be close. Will be good pumping them all the time again. But watching them park the bus is simply confirmation to me of what we all know