Police Scotland confirm received report into historic child abuse within football

Smile

11 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Jesus fucking christ.

If you read Charles Lavery’s tweets above he actually says the Sunday Mail knew about the celtic abuse scandal but the editor, who was a celtic fan, didn’t want involved and shelved the story. The dirty dirty bheasty bastard. Who makes the decision at the BBC to ignore the story? They cunts give me the boak.

The editor was a Jim Cassidy at the time the scandal broke. Fenian bastard

This is a story that almost every journalist in the country over the last 25years has been aware of but hasn’t had the balls or the backing to take it on ,,Its taken The Times and C4 to get involved 

Add in Holyrood ,they will also have known since the day the building opened for business but still no action ,Reason being too many Labour and now SNP MSPs bring fans of the club 

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Howsitgoing said:

I’m not sure on this guy as of yet, think he might be another place man put in there to continue the narrative that celtic was just one of many and other football teams are as guilty if not worse. Let’s see what he comes out with.

The story telling the editor of a national newspaper willing to bury the story is very relevant and telling when you see the BBC and Radio Clyde doing exactly the same. Dirty bheasts.

Just now, Dave Hedgehog said:

The story telling the editor of a national newspaper willing to bury the story is very relevant and telling when you see the BBC and Radio Clyde doing exactly the same. Dirty bheasts.

Yes he does seem to have an axe to grind, hope your right this might just be the start of it with others hopefully wanting to make a name for themselves getting on the bandwagon.

7 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

The story telling the editor of a national newspaper willing to bury the story is very relevant and telling when you see the BBC and Radio Clyde doing exactly the same.

What puts me off with this guy is he is another who isn’t willing to investigate the cbc in its own right instead insisting on making comparisons with other clubs. He could just be another place man trying to get control of the story for hollicom before the English press do, hope I’m wrong.

12 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

What puts me off with this guy is he is another who isn’t willing to investigate the cbc in its own right instead insisting on making comparisons with other clubs. He could just be another place man trying to get control of the story for hollicom before the English press do, hope I’m wrong.

Him saying “for all clubs” looks like he’s covering himself from the undoubted abuse he will receive from the green and grey hordes mate. 👍

1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Him saying “for all clubs” looks like he’s covering himself from the undoubted abuse he will receive from the green and grey hordes mate. 👍

Did a bit of digging on him, he reported that celtic continued paying Torbett 1/4million for 4 years after he was jailed back in 2002 but it was more a reactive story saying how repulsed they were that this happened and how they have now removed any further contracts. He might be gearing up for the next damage limitation story after the channel 4 exposure. Got my doubts that he will be the one to finally bring this out in the open.

4 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Did a bit of digging on him, he reported that celtic continued paying Torbett 1/4million for 4 years after he was jailed back in 2002 but it was more a reactive story saying how repulsed they were that this happened and how they have now removed any further contracts. He might be gearing up for the next damage limitation story after the channel 4 exposure. Got my doubts that he will be the one to finally bring this out in the open.

Time will tell mate. 👍

13 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Jesus fucking christ.

If you read Charles Lavery’s tweets above he actually says the Sunday Mail knew about the celtic abuse scandal but the editor, who was a celtic fan, didn’t want involved and shelved the story. The dirty dirty bheasty bastard. Who makes the decision at the BBC to ignore the story? They cunts give me the boak.

The editor was a Jim Cassidy at the time the scandal broke. Fenian bastard

Must have happened the weeks prior to August 96. Audrey Gillen and Ron McKay exposed the story in the Daily Record and what happened to the file that Anna Smith couldn't find when she started looking into it for the Daily Record.

Torbett Timeline

1966: celtic Boys’ Club is founded by Jim Torbett, who had previously been involved in Glasgow youth football.
1968: Allegations of abuse begin.
1970: Frank Cairney joins club.
1976: Jock Stein ousts Jim Torbett as Boys’ Club general manager after allegations that boys were being sexually abused. Torbett is replaced by Frank Cairney. Hugh Birt (a photographer and celtic associate) is made chairman.
1978: Jock Stein leaves the club.
1982: John Cullen joins the club as photographer.
1985: Jock Stein dies.
1989: Jim Torbett creates a new business – The Trophy Centre – alongside Honorary President of the Boy’s Club and celtic board member, Kevin Kelly, plus Gerald McAleer, former youth player under Torbett, and Angus Yuile who was company secretary.
1991: A youth team member raises allegations of abuse against Cairney that happened during a trip to New Jersey.  His father takes him to celtic Park to meet with new manager, Liam Brady, and chief scout, John Kelman.  Brady approaches the board and demands Cairney leave the club.  He resigns as general manager and part-time coach and the club announce this is due to ‘business commitments’. The boy is assured that his allegations would not affect his future career at the club.  It was also agreed between celtic, Brady, the boy and his parents that the police would not be informed.  Signed statements were taken from four adults who were also on the New Jersey trip.  They were all sworn to secrecy.
1993: Torbett is asked back to the club to help them raise funds via memorabilia sales.  He eventually also returns to the Boy’s Club.
1994: Fergus McCann joins celtic and immediately receives an anonymous letter detailing years of abuse at the club.  Adamant the persistent rumours should no longer be brushed under the carpet, he calls in Torbett and asks him to meet with the club’s lawyers to sign an affidavit either admitting or denying claims of abuse which could then be passed to police.  Torbett refuses.
1994: celtic fan, Gerry McSherry appears on a radio programme to question the transfer of a young player. Within days he received a number of calls making allegations of untoward behaviour at the Boy’s Club. McSherry began his own investigation.
1994: New celtic boss Tommy Burns attempts to bring Frank Cairney back to Parkstead.  Fergus McCann refuses following outrage from fans in New Jersey.
Aug 1996: The Daily Record runs an expose on abuse at celtic involving Torbett and Cairney.  In the following days, former Scotland star Alan Brazil, David Gordon and John McClusky tell The Daily Record of abuse by Torbett when when they were members of the celtic Boys’ Club.  McSherry is contracted to The Daily Record.  A further former player, Scott Sinclair, also comes forward claiming that Cairney would abuse boys in his van.  Cairney refuted the allegations and denied knowing Sinclair.  In response Sinclair handed a photograph to The Daily Record which was a picture of the whole team, including both Sinclair and Cairney.
Aug 1996: After the story broke, Burns rushed to Cairney’s home (a man he considered a close friend).  He told waiting reporters “He has the whole of my backing and that of celtic Football Club to a man“.  The following day, an angry McCann issued a statement to the press stating: “While I sympathise with Tommy Burns’ personal position as a friend of Mr Cairney, the club cannot condone or defend or take sides in a matter which involves a criminal complaint“.  In response, Burns said he had been misquoted and actually said: “He has my backing and I’m sure he will have the backing of several members of the first team who played for Frank at under-16 level“.  Torbett went in to hiding at the home of two former youth players – William and Andrew Gilbert.
Aug 1996: A meeting between five men was held in Boston’s Airport where a secret deal was agreed allowing Cairney to resign immediately so as to avoid a police investigation.  celtic chairman, Jack McGinn, allowed Cairney’s written resignation to say it was for “business reasons”.  The impromptu meeting consisted of Cairney, Jim McNally, Bill Gilfillan, John Gallacher and Willie Hampson.
Aug 1996: The Trophy Centre sponsors the Scottish Amateur Youth leagues.
Aug 1996: Brady agrees not to go to the police.  He then went on to be head of the  Arsenal youth team.
Oct 1996: Torbett charged with sex offences.
May 1997: Record team win Reporter of the Year award for investigations into sex abuse at celtic Boys’ Club.
Aug 1997: The Court of Appeal lifted a gagging order that had banned the press from reporting on the court trial of Torbett and Cairney.
Nov 1998: Torbett stands trial at Glasgow Sheriff Court charged with molesting three youngsters in his care including Alan Brazil. He is found guilty and jailed for two years.
2000: Torbett resigns as director of The Trophy Centre.
2002: Cleaners find a bin bag full of obscene photographs of boys in a store room at Parkstead.  John Cullen, club photographer, is immediately dismissed.  He is subsequently found guilty of ‘lewd and libidinous’ behaviour.  His lenient sentence causes outrage.
2005: Kevin Kelly resigns as director of The Trophy Centre.

https://scepticpeg.wordpress.com/2016/12/05/celtics-seedy-past/

Charles Lavery
@charleslavery
·
12h
After a few weeks, I gave my entire file to a friendly contact (he can verify if he likes) and he gave it to the Daily Record, the Sunday Mail's sister paper. They splashed it and won multiple awards for their reporting on it. Torbett was jailed as a result.

https://twitter.com/charleslavery/status/1234173628419149825

Anna Smith-Author
@annasmithauthor
Replying to 
@charleslavery
That's interesting, 
@charleslavery
. I dont remember seeing any file from you when I started looking into the abuse for the Daily Record.

https://twitter.com/annasmithauthor/status/123422040384702873 

Author Anna Smith, replaced Gordon Airs as the Record’s chief reporter in 1994

https://www.BOYCOTT THIS LINK/news/scottish-news/pictures-tributes-paid-daily-record-5167623

The Other side of Paradise by Audrey Gillen and Ron McKay 18/08/96

image.thumb.png.296944f8a00f12c53da6b21b42a0d1eb.png

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/other-side-of-paradise-celtic-boys-club-article-from-1996.82691/

Pervert preyed on celtic Boys Daily by Anna Smith Charles Beaton and Iain Ferguson November 2007

http://ifyouknowtheirhistory.blogspot.com/2007/11/pervert-preyed-on-celtic-boys-daily.html

Anna Smith says she didn't see the file for her research of the story (2007) Charles Lavery sent the file to the journalist back in 1996, who exposed the story .

What happened to the file?

The editor of The Daily Record at that time was Terry Quinn, He left the paper by  a ''mutual understanding'' at the same time Jim Cassidy was considering his position with the Sunday Mail. 

Did the Record bury Charles Lavery file also?

Charles Lavery Tweets https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1234169586464911360.html

21st March 1998
New editor for Daily Record

THE Editor of the Daily Record, Terry Quinn, is to leave the paper next month. He will be replaced by the editor of the Scotsman, Martin Clarke, writes Cameron Simpson.

A Mirror Group spokesman declined to comment on speculation that Mr Quinn, who joined the paper in October 1994, had been dismissed or that he had been given a pay-off in excess of #300,000. He said Mr Quinn was leaving after a ''mutual understanding'' had been reached.

However, it is no secret that the group executives have recently become unhappy with Mr Quinn's stewardship of the paper whose circulation has fallen to below 700,000 from a high of 780,000.

The latest upheaval at Anderston Quay follows the clash in January which saw managing director Liam Kane resign after he failed to persuade group chief executive David Montgomery to grant greater auto-nomy to the group's Scottish operation which would have seen Mr Quinn replaced by former Herald editor George McKechnie.

At the time it was said Mr Kane was deeply worried that both titles were now regarded by London as mere branch operations - regardless of their national status and special needs in the wake of devolution.Mirror Group hopes to quash any such perceptions with yesterday's appointment. Mr Clarke has been editor of the Scotsman for little over a year. The 33 year old from Kent had previously been editor of the Scottish edition of the Daily Mail.

A spokesman said Mr Clarke would become editor of the Record as well as editor-in-chief of the Record and Sunday Mail. Mr Jim Cassidy, editor of the Sunday Mail is understood to be considering his position. The spokesman indicated the new editor would refocus the Record more heavily on politics and business and try to attract a younger readership.

Meanwhile, Mirror Group finance director John Allwood is moving to take responsibility for the group's regional and Scottish newspaper divisions. He will replace Chris Oakley who joined the group during the takeover of his Midland Independent Newspapers and is now leaving the company at the end of the month to become chief executive of YPG Group Ltd.   Mr Allwood has presided over the group's financial reconstruction since 1992.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12301128.new-editor-for-daily-record/

13 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Anna Smith says she didn't see the file for her research of the story (2007) Charles Lavery sent the file to the journalist back in 1996, who exposed the story .

What happened to the file?

The editor of The Daily Record at that time was Terry Quinn, He left the paper by  a ''mutual understanding'' at the same time Jim Cassidy was considering his position with the Sunday Mail. 

Did the Record bury Charles Lavery file also?

Or was there a file in the first place? This is just another celtic fan who wants to engineer equivalences to the cbc boys club scandal to limit the damage that the channel 4 show has done to his team. 

Let’s see what he comes out with but he’s not to be trusted in my opinion, add an interesting prospective that an editor buried  the story, ramp up publicity and then claim cbc was not the worst boys club out there the nasty Rangers didn’t phone the police.

14 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Or was there a file in the first place? This is just another celtic fan who wants to engineer equivalences to the cbc boys club scandal to limit the damage that the channel 4 show has done to his team. 

Let’s see what he comes out with but he’s not to be trusted in my opinion, add an interesting prospective that an editor buried  the story, ramp up publicity and then claim cbc was not the worst boys club out there the nasty Rangers didn’t phone the police.

Agreed. could be Hollicom at work.

This is a piece from Journo Charles Lavery.. lifted from Twitter, worth the read although it’s nothing we don’t know.

The Sunday Mail news editor, at that time, hailed a cab on the south side of Glasgow, to go to work, and told the driver where he was headed—Sunday Mail HQ, on the Broomielaw, Glasgow.

My original investigation into the celtic Boys Club abuse story began with a taxi ride. 
For the victims? From childhood.
I was chief reporter at the Sunday Mail at the time. So, here's how it happened (or, didn't happen)

The Sunday Mail news editor, at that time, hailed a cab on the south side of Glasgow, to go to work, and told the driver where he was headed—Sunday Mail HQ, on the Broomielaw, Glasgow.

The cab driver drove him to the office, parked up, turned around, and told him his story, in tears. My news editor (who can verify, if he so desires) called me to come downstairs to speak to the guy.

The taxi driver told his story over the course of a few days.  I will never forget his pain, as he tried to explain what had happened to him at the hands of Torbett and others. Lots of crying. A nice guy.

So, we had a single source telling us about his experiences. I asked him to try to think of all of the people he could remember being around him at that time, and who he had spoken to about it.

That led me to a famous ex-footballer (he can verify if he so desires) who told me the same story of abuse, strictly off the record. He cried as he recounted what had happened to him.

He was a prolific goal scorer for celtic, but he didn't want to go up front on something so contentious. What happened to him...horrible.

He then sent me to another, even bigger, celtic "name", and I spent the day with him as he spoke about what had been done to him. He cried.

His first words to me, when I approached him and said, "I'm working on a story about celtic Boys Club", were: 

"I knew this day would come."  (He can verify if he so wishes)

So, we had three testimonies. Our Sunday Mail editor at that time had refused to publish the story based on a single source (quite right, too) and asked for a second source, or victim.

We found him. Then he asked for a third, and we found him. Then...the story wasn't published...
The editor was a celtic fan.

He just didn't want to be associated with the story. That's what happens here, constantly.

So, the story lay in the dead zone for a while. For me, it was important to tell the stories of the victims. One week, two weeks, three weeks passed, and nothing was published. I was taught by an old mentor that important stories must always be told.

After a few weeks, I gave my entire file to a friendly contact (he can verify if he likes) and he gave it to the Daily Record, the Sunday Mail's sister paper. They splashed it and won multiple awards for their reporting on it. Torbett was jailed as a result.

celtic FC has been working hard on this issue,  but the real story here is about the scouting system and the boys' clubs, as well as the media cow-towing to clubs and taking everything they send as gospel, with zero fact-checking. Editors MUST rock the boat. .

One print editor can decide what you read. 
Online, one good social media editor can influence what pops up in your newsfeed. 

The investigation conducted by @alextomo is a good start, but doesn't delve far enough. 
Every club. Every agent. Every S-form.

1 hour ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

This is a piece from Journo Charles Lavery.. lifted from Twitter, worth the read although it’s nothing we don’t know.

My original investigation into the celtic Boys Club abuse story began with a taxi ride. 
For the victims? From childhood.
I was chief reporter at the Sunday Mail at the time. So, here's how it happened (or, didn't happen)

The cab driver drove him to the office, parked up, turned around, and told him his story, in tears. My news editor (who can verify, if he so desires) called me to come downstairs to speak to the guy.

The taxi driver told his story over the course of a few days.  I will never forget his pain, as he tried to explain what had happened to him at the hands of Torbett and others. Lots of crying. A nice guy.

So, we had a single source telling us about his experiences. I asked him to try to think of all of the people he could remember being around him at that time, and who he had spoken to about it.

That led me to a famous ex-footballer (he can verify if he so desires) who told me the same story of abuse, strictly off the record. He cried as he recounted what had happened to him.

He was a prolific goal scorer for celtic, but he didn't want to go up front on something so contentious. What happened to him...horrible.

He then sent me to another, even bigger, celtic "name", and I spent the day with him as he spoke about what had been done to him. He cried.

His first words to me, when I approached him and said, "I'm working on a story about celtic Boys Club", were: 

"I knew this day would come."  (He can verify if he so wishes)

So, we had three testimonies. Our Sunday Mail editor at that time had refused to publish the story based on a single source (quite right, too) and asked for a second source, or victim.

We found him. Then he asked for a third, and we found him. Then...the story wasn't published...
The editor was a celtic fan.

He just didn't want to be associated with the story. That's what happens here, constantly.

So, the story lay in the dead zone for a while. For me, it was important to tell the stories of the victims. One week, two weeks, three weeks passed, and nothing was published. I was taught by an old mentor that important stories must always be told.

celtic FC has been working hard on this issue,  but the real story here is about the scouting system and the boys' clubs, as well as the media cow-towing to clubs and taking everything they send as gospel, with zero fact-checking. Editors MUST rock the boat. .

One print editor can decide what you read. 
Online, one good social media editor can influence what pops up in your newsfeed. 

The investigation conducted by @alextomo is a good start, but doesn't delve far enough. 
Every club. Every agent. Every S-form.

Thanks. I read this on Twitter last night - chilling evidence of conspiracy involving both CFC and a national newspaper. It's not difficult to work out who was the Editor of the Sunday Mail at the time. When that Editor was removed from his post a few years later, his great buddy Roy Greenslade (Guardian hack with IRA sympathies) claimed that sectarianism was at work ...

On 02/03/2020 at 07:06, Sweetheart said:

Must have happened the weeks prior to August 96. Audrey Gillen and Ron McKay exposed the story in the Daily Record and what happened to the file that Anna Smith couldn't find when she started looking into it for the Daily Record.

Those dates are all wrong on the timeline

Torbett was booted in 1974

The Airport meeting was in 1991 not 96 

Just to keep things factual 

4 minutes ago, mrmojorisin said:

Those dates are all wrong on the timeline

Torbett was booted in 1974

The Airport meeting was in 1991 not 96 

Just to keep things factual 

Cheers. :tu:

The time line is c&p from the link I posted.

Maybe he will call this investigation out for what it was ,This investigation would have happened ,When they revealed the secret investigation the.context was that they were full of concern when in actual fact the investigation was an arse covering excercise to determine liability and distance themselves as much as possible ,Also during the investigation the term seperate entity was born 

8 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

9. Jesus Christ 9 of them and some people are still pushing the line they were independent of each other. 

Absolutely disgraceful from that club. Facilitating and enabling. No other way of thinking.  If that happened at a care home it would be shut down.

Archived